Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the situation, I have been participating in this site now for a little over a week and a half. I have read dozens of threads and watched dozens of video clips. All these have led me to the following conclusions: I am not crazy and that there are alot of people out there that think along the lines I do, things are uncertain all over and most importantly, preparedness is not fear based.

I have always considered myself woods savy due to my childhood in the North Country and an adulthood spent in the Army. I have had thoughts of building a retreat and escaping all the lunacy I see aroud me since bfore I knew what a retreat was or should be. My reality is that I will most likely have to hunker down where we are.

I have always believed a full pantry and freezer was my responsibility as a father and husband. I own enough basic tools and outdoor gear to get my family through what life has thrown at us so far. I think it is finally time to " get of the pot" and secure the remaining items I feel we need. I am starting today. I will keep posting as I make progress in the coming weeks. Who knows I might learn to post a picture or two... Thanks to all of you who have shown me the light and sparked an old idea.

I have the ability to secure some items in bulk immediately. Are there any thoughts out there on purchasing ammunition in suuficient quantity without arousing suspicion? I can walk in to the local farm store and pick up 2,000 round of .22 LR ammo without issue. What is the best way to get .223/5.56mm and 12 GA etc. in larger quantity?

See you on the high ground!

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
The Wal-mart in my area sells remington UMC cases of .223 , I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells buckshot or slugs in bulk. The larger guns shops should also have .223 in mass quantity,and they won't look at you funny for buying in bulk.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
the best way I can tell you to get 5.56 and 12ga in mass is go to a gunshow and pay cash.But, if you feel you have time to make these purchases.just go to wally world and buy a couple boxes here and there.Go during your lunch break and on your way home.Most likely every time you go in there will be somebody different working the counter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why are you worried about arousing suspicion? Are you a criminal? Do you have something to hide? If you are a upright person who sees a need to buy a case of ammo then go and do it.

Just keep your mouth shut about it and pack it away for when the time of need comes. I would suggest that you keep it on the quiet side with the family. No sense in having little Johnny boasting at school about how his Dad has 10 million rounds of ammunition, guns, knives and everything else or having your wife chatting up with her girlfriends about how her husband is all prepped with 10 million rounds, a sidewinder missle and a full auto machine gun. Believe me... people like to boast and exaggerate!

·
Banned
653 Posts
i saw 500 round tins of 223 shells at dunhams sporting goods yesterday for $180. i think they were the steal jackets not brass but thats still a good deal. they had several tins just sitting on the shelf.
Ahhhh, no it's not a good deal, you need to check somewhere like Ammoman.com. $180 +tax for a tin of Ruskie ammo is a RIP OFF.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd just go to the sportsman shows and buy ammo in bulk it won't get any cheaper a lot of target shoots buy more then that amount in a single purchase. Or at least they say they do. 2000 rounds of .22 Lr I doubt would raise an issue and I wouldn't think the other ammo was an issue unless their is some reason you don't want government to KNOW you have ammo stockpiled :D:.

·
Registered
303 Posts
if you are going to buy batteries I would invest in a small solar charger, it is well worth the money

if certain " events " happen the electronics may be fried but if it is just a natural disaster or if you ever needed them on an " extended camping trip " then you would be able to charge the batteries with no electricity

·
Accuracy is Final
546 Posts
I know alot of people are worried about a paper trail but the cheapest way to get ammo is with dealer prices. If you get a C&R license most places will give you dealer prices. Another option would be to reload. I reload 5.56 to milspec (as close a s I can get) LC brass, ss109 rounds loaded to milspec velocity for about $190 per 1000 the first time and about $80 every time I reload the brass after the first time. Compare that to the $400+ that those rounds go for loaded and the savings paid for my reloading equipment. I just wait for a sale and stock up on components, $55 per 1000 bullets, $7 per pound on powder. Hope to see those prices again and pick up some more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok, now I see what everyone is preparing for. I only learned of these things today while surfing the net. Noone I know talks about any of this, don't see it on the news. It's scary. Another great depression, sure, I can see it happening. A Martial Law in America, not so sure of that. The economy is bad and what happened was not a surprise.

By the way, I'm new here, hi!

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
All you have to do is drive from one gun store to another and buy at each store a case or two of ammo. Don't buy more than that and you should be okay. If you start buying too much ammo, the store owners are required to fill out a form that gets shipped off to the feds. If you have a limited amount of gun stores in your area, order from online sources like ammoman, cheaper-than-dirt and so on. They'll mail ammo to your door if you don't live in one of the peoples' republics of like California, Chicago, Detroit, Taxachusetts and so on.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
On the rechargeable batteries, if you live in a warm to hot climate they hold up ok.
Where I live there dead in a few minutes when it gets real cold.
They've got some pretty cool solar recharges on the market now.
............................Alaskan.................

·
Registered
497 Posts
I live in Canada and we are required to record all ammo bought never have I heard of anyone getting a call about ammo, powder or brass being bought but the reload option is a good one. Why pay someone to do what you can do at home. I even know some guys who went out and bought ammo for guns they didn't have to test if they would get a police car in front of their house. Didn't own a .223 and the police never showed up I don't know if the feds even really pay attention to the amount till they raid your house for something else if your really concerned by a small amount each month do it the same way I'm doing food. Every time I go shopping I buy extra. So like every Weekend make a point of picking up a 500 of .22 Lr or whatever you need till you reach your target. they don't know how much your shooting for instance some guys go to the range and go through 10 rounds others do more some people go every other weekend some guys stop in every day for a clip or two. Government only knows how much you buy not how much you shoot. they can't tell if your shooting or stockpiling. Just make sure you don't exceed teh amount of ammo your allowed to store. Hmm, is this a concern in the states or no? Canada has laws about teh amount stored.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's an idea: Dress in a nice, but casual polo and slacks. Give them the imoression that you are a contributing member of society (rather than a bum), and they won't pay much attention to you. If you get questioned,just say you like to go to the range shooting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts