Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lazy with my preps. This economy has me so stressed out and paranoid. We're also having a lot of crime right now with the heat and people not having money. There are things I've put off that I want to get back into. Food preps and storage, Generator purchase and I might buy a gun. My husband and I have always disagreed on using guns (I hate them - he loves them way too much) but I think its getting to the point where I need to put my money where my mouth is and be able to defend my home should I find a need to.

So what are you ladies doing to keep up your preps, to defend yourself and your families?

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
I used to be anti-gun. I was raised in a home with no guns. Our next door neighbor was raped when I was a girl. I vividly remember her being out of her house, naked and someone giving her a robe.

Fast forward 20 years: I have two kids and an acreage. This morning I shot a rabbit in the eye at 6 a.m. I did it because I have hundreds of dollars in fruit trees that are tiny and maybe those fruit trees will feed my children someday.

I strongly urge you to get over the dislike of guns. Having two people to defend your family is far better than one.

I am sitting here eating my lunch, half of which I grew myself. That is my idea of frugal and healthy.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I bought my first semi-automatic rifle a couple of years ago. That was do to the economic circumstances of our country. we already had a 22 that we use on snakes, dogs and rodents.

I've been prepping pretty steadily for the past couple of years.

We live in the country and have an orchard and garden. Both of these we have been expanding on a little each year.

I do a lot of canning, freezing and drying. I have food preps that we use and some Mountain House for emergencies.

I have been buying extra thrift shop clothing for the future. We have chickens and a couple of dogs. I hope to get the rabbitry built this summer for meat and fertilizer.

I started 2 bee hives this past spring but lost 1 to a bear. I am working on getting the other hive stocked up before winter sets in.

I keep a positive attitude when I can. It is important to feel accomplishment in what you have completed and not worry about what you have no control over.

God bless and keep on prepping.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was also very anti-gun. I also voted for Obama. (my vote was cast in texas though so it diddnt really count but still....don't tell anyone)

I had some food storage before what I would call my awakening (which actually happened when i started really listening to what some of the women were talking about during a mylar bag sealing party) Since then I've really been building it up though. I coupon so many of my preps are free or VERY cheap. I follow the krazy coupon lady blog.

the LDS cannery is very good too. I try to sign up for the canning activities when I can go. Can penut butter for 3 hrs then buy a ton of stuff. :) all of it is sold at cost so its very very cheap.

I just moved so my garden was abandoned :(

I've started canning some jam. I have a pressure canner but i just dont trust myself enough to do it right. I'm afraid I'm going to give myself food poisioning.

One thing I do and im really glad I have is getting to know the neighbors. As i said, I just moved so i went to all the houses on my street and brought them some of the jam I made. Then a neighbor brought over some deer sausage he made. Last week I went around with cookies and today we brought cupcakes to the neighbors because it was my sons birthday. Its something I just did without thinking, but now I am really glad I have reached out and made those connections. You never know when it will pay off.

I bought a wheat grinder and have been experimenting with some breads. I found out my body needs some more time to adjust to it before I scarf down half a loaf of bread and that my son loves grinding wheat. both are good to know. ;)

We do "food storage fridays" where for dinner we eat from food storage and only food storage. its good learning to cook with the different stuff and helps with rotation.

The biggest thing Ive learned is to make small adjustments now, to avoid making HUGE adjustments later. Know your weaknesses and work on them, but also prep accordingly.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Re the slowdown in prepping: just try to do something every day. Even small steps are progress.

Re gun ownership: you really have to spend some thinking about this, BEFORE you make that purchase. Don't think warning shots. That is just a waste of good ammo. Think about whether you are 100% CERTAIN that you could pull the trigger without hesitation in a life-or-death situation. Are you completely sure that you could shoot to kill another human who is clearly intent on killing you or a family member??? If you have any doubt about that, you should not buy a gun for yourself.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Im in the UK so have strong gun laws, but most people dont have guns. There are other ways to get weaponery plus a lot have BB guns.

As far as motivation, I just watch the most recent disaster and that keeps me going. Im still pretty much a beginner, only being doing this for a year or two, so I have a little but not masses of stuff as Im on a very tight budget. I just try to get the best I can for the least price which means lots of research.

Iv just finished (to my satisfaction) my BOB and my dogs, so I know have to focus on learning how to use everything (Im going to do BOB Saturdays). While this is going on Im going to increase the food preps, and the range of food I can eat which is somewhat restrictive.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Practicing daily with my bow and spending one heck of a lot of time in the garden. Gardening is relaxing, helps build strength in my hands and keeps them moving, I have arthritis, and it produces food for my family and gives me knowledge and experience. When I'm weeding or turning soil or dumping manure and compost my mind can be blank. I don't think about anything at all. It's nice to be able to shut down even for just a half an hour a day if that's all I can get. It's physical meditation. This helps my attitude in general and I can view prepping as more of a lifestyle from the past vs prepping for some future disaster. Helps burnout in a big way too.

When I stock canned goods and other items from the grocery store, I view it as getting a good deal on this or that rather than prepping.

When I can stuff, I view it as a healthier alternative to whatever I get from the store. I know what's in it, I grew it myself and/or I canned it myself.

·
1,313 Posts
I was raised with guns for hunting so it has always been a non-issue with me. It's good to learn to use every gun in your group. I set up the opsec on our homestead. Having a lot of acreage calls for many lines of defense. Learn to use tactics beyond guns. I like archaic weapons...think out of the box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am against guns in homes. But I believe they can come in handy camping in the wildreness. Truly to be prepared with food Madgie made a good point about thinking outside the box for preparedness. if you want to know what to prepare for food storage the same goes for a trip. Keep it simple but comprehensive. Include protein and starches and the like for a well rounded nutritional (no junk) perserved foods.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keeping a notebook helps keep me on track. I write down what I did to prep for the day. I write down classes, purchases, new recipes tried for food storage, etc. You can get a cheap notebook right now due to school sales for a $1 or less.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Ever considered a bow? Smaller children wouldn't likely be able to pull the string. It builds strength for you, and quite frankly it's relaxing as can be when you practice. There's no noise but the wispy sound of the arrows as they fly through the air. You can barely even hear them hit the target. Also, when hubs was taking some classes in CA several years ago there was a guest speaker in one of them. The guy used to burglarize houses. He said the rules were that you never, ever turned on the lights. One night though he knew he HAD to turn on those lights, he could sense danger nearby and he HAD to know what was going on. The homeowner had him in the sights of his compound bow. Lovely :) Now, if that was you, you wouldn't have to worry about a typical arrow going through a wall in your home and hurting a kid in bed or anything like that.

Also, women are typically better at archery than men, as I was told by a man, because we listen and learn whereas men think they know everything and make every mistake in the book before they learn. His words, not mine :rofl:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm still new at this so I haven't gotten to the burn-out point yet. Matter of fact, I've stepped up my efforts the last couple of weeks. Considering the insanity of our government and the rest of the world, I feel like I'm way behind where I should be. I've even taken a small portion of my emergency fund, about 10% or so, and adding to my food storage as quickly as I can.
I'm also going to a gun show tomorrow. I've never been comfortable with guns in the past, but I think it's extremely important that I change that. Home invasions and all manner of violent crimes are increasing and it seems it's only going to get worse, shtf or not. I don't intend to be anyone's victim. I've thought about this a lot and I know, with certainty, that I could do what I have to do to protect my life and the lives of my family.
As far as remaining inspired, I think you just have to keep plugging away, even if it's just small stuff. You just have to remind yourself that every little thing you do each day will make it easier for your family later. :)

·
sewbeit221
7 Posts
Gardening, discovering what will growwell in hot florida summers, planting peach, Loquat, pomegrate,lemon, grapefuit, grapes, advacado, banana and fig trees on my property. Target practice at the shooting range, canning, baking bread, making soap, raising backyard chickens & composting their waste along with kitchen scraps to create fertile loam (black gold) always made me crazy to have to pay for a bag of dirt! Plan to can some bacon soon as well as tomatoe sauce and chicken stock. Have prepped two BOB or get home bags as the case may be. Stocking food, soap, medicinal supplies,personal tolietries and toilet paper so far this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts