Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS. I LIVE IN hOUSTON AND HAVE TO GO TO DALLAS A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR ON BUSINESS.MY PLANS ARE TO HUNKER DOWN BECAUSE I AND OUR COUNTRIES ENEMIES HAVE SEEN THAT IS SOMEONE SAAYS BOO THERE IS NO WAY TO GET OUT OF hOUSTON FOR A COUPLE DAYS(rita).im trying to move but that takes a while with the job market.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
All caps are hard for me to read.

Yes, we learned before Rita that getting out of Houston in an emergency can be difficult. What is your occupation? Do you have to live in a large city to find employment?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Do you own or rent? I hear from my sister in law in Austin that home sales are still going well down there. Selling your home might be an answer, if you can get enough equity out of it to get you onto a place in the country that's cheaper.; with enough equity you can move and find a job instead of finding a job first.
Hopefully you will have some warning and can get out before others are trying to. I'd start getting gas and gas cans and packing GOOD boxes for your vehicle. If you absolutely can't leave when the SHTF, then know your area as well as possible so you can get around on foot if you need to, or in a vehicle if that's an option. Make your home as secure as possible and make friends with a few neighbors.
Good luck!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you own or rent? I hear from my sister in law in Austin that home sales are still going well down there. Selling your home might be an answer, if you can get enough equity out of it to get you onto a place in the country that's cheaper.; with enough equity you can move and find a job instead of finding a job first.
Hopefully you will have some warning and can get out before others are trying to. I'd start getting gas and gas cans and packing GOOD boxes for your vehicle. If you absolutely can't leave when the SHTF, then know your area as well as possible so you can get around on foot if you need to, or in a vehicle if that's an option. Make your home as secure as possible and make friends with a few neighbors.
Good luck!
i own, i work in the wholesale auto auction area.wwe can hunker down for most things, and i have a 6 month prep supply

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Hmm. Not QUITE sure what you are asking about here, if it be permanent relocation, traffic tips, or advice on how to bug out of a major metropolitan area during a crisis. If the latter, the standard 'one size fits all' advice seems to be:

1) Boat. This only works if you've near water. Although if you have access to a major river or the sea it's pretty hard to stop you or obstruct you once you get out of weapon range.

2) Car or truck. Pretty self-explainatory. Not good in the event of roadblocks, gridlock, EMP, lack of gas, etc, etc.

3) ATV, motorbike, bicycle. You can go around most obstactales, follow alternative routes (railroad tracks, concrete river channels, or powerline right of ways, for instance), go pretty far on limited fuel, that sort of thing.

4) Private planes or ultralights. The sky's the limit. If you can reach the plane and take off, have enough fuel, and know how to fly, of course.

5) Your feet. The ultimate all terrain vehicle. Not fast, not easy, a bit on the exposed side, but it's REALLY hard to stop you.

·
Standing Vigilant
504 Posts
Hang In There

Where in Houston do you live?
I use to live there and still come up
once a month or so on business.

My brother lives in Katy and worries even he
won't be able to get out. As you know...
Katy is on the far west side of Houston.
He plans on going out the back way from
Katy through the country to our farm in La Grange.
All major arteries...IH 10, 45, 59, 290 will be locked down.

Get you a good map and start planning your exit strategy now.
Don't wait until it happens. From Downtown...
you can run Westheimer all the way out to the country....
without entering onto one of those arteries above.

Doginit

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more focused on relocation,it will be hard no matter whAT.id like to learn to fly but get vertigo.went driving in the country today looking.will be looking on vacations this year too.

·
Ready for the big "push"
1,473 Posts
I think you answered your own question. Like you say, anytime someone says boo, it's impossible to get out. So like you said, your looking to relocate which I would highly recommend. Get out for good BEFORE something happens.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I live in Katy and it will be nightmarish getting out. The plan is to Bug in until the dummies leave, then attempt to use bayou trails to get out. Fry road, Green House ,529, Barker Cypress and Clay will all be jam packed with fools trying to leave. When I moved out this way, we were the only neighborhood and there were rice fields and horse fields as far as I could see ,now it's as packed as everywhere else. I am trying to get land but My property in Fountain Florida has to go first.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Where in Houston do you live?
I use to live there and still come up
once a month or so on business.

My brother lives in Katy and worries even he
won't be able to get out. As you know...
Katy is on the far west side of Houston.
He plans on going out the back way from
Katy through the country to our farm in La Grange.
All major arteries...IH 10, 45, 59, 290 will be locked down.

Get you a good map and start planning your exit strategy now.
Don't wait until it happens. From Downtown...
you can run Westheimer all the way out to the country....
without entering onto one of those arteries above.

Doginit
Westheimer is full of lights all the way past SH6. Downtown might need to go backwards to go forward. 288 south past the beltway then catch 1462 west towards rosharon then hit 36 all the way to Sealy. Object is to get out of the city.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buy a copy of the "Roads of Texas Atlas" it has amazing detail on back roads, etc. Much better than the typical atlas. I've heard that the new Mapsco version is not quite as good as the older ones (2005 was the last before Mapsco I think). An employee of Harris County emergency response told me that during recent storms many suface roads were wide open while the major highways were parking lots. Pick a route that avoids bridge choke points, they're the real killer, of course where you live is going to make a big difference on that particular issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to live in Houston and when everyone tried to scatter when Rita was coming I was one of the retard's sitting in traffic for ever. If you don't leave first then your best bet is to stay put until everyone else kills each other trying to get out. I live in Dallas now so I guess I'm still in the same vote.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My youngest daughter and her family moved to Ft. Worth this past February, her husband wanted to be near his family. Luckily they only took a 6 month lease as they are moving back here (120 miles se of Ft. Worth). That may not be very far to travel by car but if the SHTF it would be almost impossible to get them to our refuge. I just pray nothing bad happens between now and August.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks alot all, i have a good delorme map book, we live in se houston near hobby airport.unless it looks like a 5 i will be ok from a storm.im more worried about attacks.any enemy saw that they could easily get a lot of people in any city in the us because we cant evacuate in an orderly fashion. i want to relocate to a smaller city .Thanks again all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts