Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something my buddy and I are discussing...

We both work in a huge city surrounded by a million sheeple, and we are 15+ miles from home. Let's say TSHTF and within minutes thousands begin leaving their places of employment to go home, get out of Dodge, etc. and the roads/highways become a huge traffic jam. We look out of the window and scan the Interstate from our high rise office building and see nothing but a parking lot of cars on the road.

How would you guys get home or get to your planned destination?

+++Walking Option+++
If we walk at 2 mph the whole time, we got a 7-8 hour walk in front of us. I can't even imagine what the sheeple would be like at, let's say, hour #3. (maybe by the 3rd hour, we are now running instead of walking because by the 3rd hour thousands would be in a panic because all the roads are jammed? geez, a very scary thought!!!) Walking that great a distance through thousands of Zombies makes a good movie but I'd rather not have to live the experience.
Here's an example of this option...

+++Manual Bicycle+++
If we have a foldable bike at work, that might not be too bad. We could take the bicycle out of the trunk, unfold it and be on our way. 5 mph would get us home in 3 hours, 10 mph in only 1.5 hours. Since there will be thousands of angry panic'd Sheeple standing beside their cars on the jammed up highways, we would travel through the residential neighborhoods where many Sheep may be staying inside for news, or they are just frozen from fear so they stay put.
Here's one of many examples of folding bicycles ....

Advantage here is that it will get you much further along on your journey over walking. Also, I don't think many sheeples will bother you on your bike...unless you try to ride it through the masses of parked cars on the Interstate. In that case you will probably make it several hundred feet before someone clotheslines you and takes your bicycle.

+++Same bike but add a motorized hub to it+++

This is an idea I like right now. Take one of the folding bikes but replace the wheel with a motorized 26" wheel. The new A123 battery packs from Dewalt can dump 30 Amps without overheating. The electric motorized bicycle can do 30+ mph, and you can manually assist it to increase the range. And its electric motor is extremely quiet so you won't draw the attention of all the Zombies who want to escape the traffic jams.

Here's a good example of this option (this bike is a cheap mountain bike, not a folding one)

+++Gas Powered Options+++

There are small gas powered options you could take to get out of Dodge...

Gas Scooters. They look like a skateboard but have a small gas motor at the rear.
http://www.gqscooters.com/gas-powered-scooters/gas-scooters

Mopeds or motorcycles. If you drive a truck or mini van, you might be able keep a motorcycle or moped in the larger vehicle.

I really don't like the gas options because they are so loud and I think it draws attention from the Zombies when they see what a great idea you have.

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this. Don't forget an EMP scenario also. Some options like above may be worth their weight in gold.

Chuck

·
V
21,713 Posts
+++Walking Option+++
If we walk at 2 mph the whole time, we got a 7-8 hour walk in front of us.
What type of terrain will you be walking over? At 2mph your either doing rough and rugged terrain, carrying too much weight (pack or bodyfat) or very old (no offence intended if you are) average walking speed over flat terrain is between 3-4mph for your average joe, 4-5mph forced walking a little faster tabbing or walk/trot (I forget the terminology its early).

Its worth doing a little research into movement speeds it'll also help with tracking.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Chuck I feel your pain. I work 25 miles from home. It's a small town with about 12k and the whole county has about 28k people.

I would have to travel alot of hilly type terrain. After getting thru that town, there is another small town attached to it, kinda weird, they run together, it has a population under 5k.

Once I leave there I am walking on a 2 lane Georgia Highway...the next town is 12 miles further that I have to travel through and I have to cross 2 bridges and go up and down alot more hills!, it's poulation (one stop light) is about 2,600 people...then it's a house here and there for the last 7-8 miles to my turn off...lots of hills there too.

then it's 2 miles from the highway to my land, only 1 or 2 neighbors close by.

I would not want to walk it unless I really had too.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
At 3 MPH, it would take about 8 hours to walk this. I work 4-1.30am, so it would sucky sucky as alot of this would be pitch dark, except for my flashlights.

Driving home I usually see between 3 and 20 deer at various points, many sets of eyes low to the ground I can't identify and of course the occasional armadiller, raccoon, possum and stray dog.

Then if it's summer there are the snakes that like to lie on the warm night asphalt...LOL Lots to think about!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Either Way

If your worried abiot danger walking, I would think the danger increases riding a bike. You have a commodity that others will want. Walking, you simply blend in with everyone else. Just a thought.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Tough call, but why walk out when you could drive out? All one can do is stay hyper vigilant and at the first signs of things looking more bad (than normal) then "Git While The Gittin's Good" as they say. My favorite old saying is "Better safe than sorry".

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts
I think in most scenarios there would be some warning. Could make a thread about what scenarios there would be no warning such as earthquakes.

I plan to drive to my BOL but hope I will be up there anyway which I am up there working, camping and Living from mid June to Nov. I have a large Ford pickup truck which has 2 gas tanks and I would also take at least 20 gallons of gas with me. And I would throw a mtn bike in the truck just in case I needed it.

But here is a pic thread showing how I would get up there and what I would do once up there. Later in the thread some have shown their places also > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=96951

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
I'd rather walk than bike. On a bike you need both hands to ride, which leaves none for you to defend yourself if needed. Anybody can kick you off the bike or stick a pipe in your spokes and there's not much you can do about it. Plus on foot it's easier to quickly hide from approaching people or vehicles. I just like having quick directional mobility and my hands free. Does it really matter if it takes 5 hours or 8 hours? Probably not.

I am middle aged and in good shape (I run up to half marathon distances), so your calculus on what works for you might be different based on your capabilities. For me, a long walk is not a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tough call, but why walk out when you could drive out? All one can do is stay hyper vigilant and at the first signs of things looking more bad (than normal) then "Git While The Gittin's Good" as they say. My favorite old saying is "Better safe than sorry".
Yeah, I told my buddy I think that is key. We MUST know an event has occurred extremely early so we can get as must distance as possible from the Zombies exitting the city. So I set up the FOX News alerts to send me emails when breaking news occurs. If it's EMP, then lights go out and I check for Cell Phone signal.

But I believe in options. Why limit ourselves? We are not superhuman. So we can still get tired and not be able to keep the walking pace hour after hour. We still get cornered by a gang on our way home, get shot and die.

I think we have a tendency to believe we won't find ourselves running for our very lives an hour after TSHTF. So, I figure, I'm not superman, so why limit my options. Drive as far as I can, then bike as far as I can, then if someone takes my bike, walk as far as I can. But I keep seeing that opening scene from Zombieland that discourages me from just keeping the options to "walking" only. :D:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This:thumb:, the key to getting out of an urban area is to be ahead of the panicked flock, keep your ear to the ground and be gone before walking or a bike ride become a necessity.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about this. Don't forget an EMP scenario also.

Chuck
In this case, I'm toast. :xeye: In the others, I'd try to get out asap at the first sign of the *HTF, then blend into the crowd of sheeple, constantly heading to the destination...

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Yeah, I told my buddy I think that is key. We MUST know an event has occurred extremely early so we can get as must distance as possible from the Zombies exitting the city. So I set up the FOX News alerts to send me emails when breaking news occurs. If it's EMP, then lights go out and I check for Cell Phone signal.

But I believe in options. Why limit ourselves? We are not superhuman. So we can still get tired and not be able to keep the walking pace hour after hour. We still get cornered by a gang on our way home, get shot and die.

I think we have a tendency to believe we won't find ourselves running for our very lives an hour after TSHTF. So, I figure, I'm not superman, so why limit my options. Drive as far as I can, then bike as far as I can, then if someone takes my bike, walk as far as I can. But I keep seeing that opening scene from Zombieland that discourages me from just keeping the options to "walking" only. :D:
You may be overestimating how fast people will react in a crisis. The roads were clogged in Katrina and Rita because folks had lots of warning that disaster was coming, governments Federal, state, and local were all screaming "GETOUTGETOUTGETOUT!!" continuously, there was a definate deadline approaching... and even THEN, lots of people staying in place and refused to leave until the last moment or even at all. Now, if things were to blow up, suddenly and unexpectedly, an enormous number of people would be paralysed and stunned and not have any idea what to do, possibly for a long time afterwards. SOME might run to their cars and take off, immediately, despite orders from bosses to stay at work until the situation became clearer, or from the government to stay off the roads. Others would wait for more information, or leadership. An unknown number might decide to shelter where they were and not try to get home or bug out. And even for those who do decide to flee, unless they've got BOBs, they'd have to spend time figuring out what to take and loading up their cars, which would keep them off the roads for a while. Frankly I think it might take four, five, six hours before the traffic reached the "jamming" stage; by which time those who took off at the first sign of trouble would be well out of the mess...

Also, I'd go for the bike as alternative transport. The speed and manuverablity would make you very hard to stop or interfere with; not to mention, since it's largely silent, you might be past people and away before they even knew you were coming.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't think you guys should discount or brush aside the "sudden" event that will result in this. 9/11, earthquake, EMP, major bomb attack, etc. These are the things that actually need the most preparing for.

Anything slower and you have a much greater chance of topping off your tank, getting at least a few miles headstart toward home, filling up your water barrels, or whatever. Anyone who goes to work the day a hurricane is supposed to hit kinda deserves whatever happens to them (as an example).

·
Burner
668 Posts
I work 37 miles from home. Getting home w/o my truck would be hard and long enough w/o a shtf scenario. Through in some major chaos and it would be darn near impossible, especially if the local denizen where fleeing Detroit like there's no tomorrow. Oh wait, they already are. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think you should give yourself as many options as possable. My plan is to drive as far as possable, then remove the bike from my vehical an ride as far as possable, then walk the remander if needed

·
Tales of a Scorched Earth
557 Posts
I would join some sort of volunteer organization that helps with disasters (Such as Red Cross) or Join a local CERT. Many times you will get badges, and these badges might be enough to get you through a barricade. You will also learn some good skills!

·
Confused,but not Lost
1,088 Posts
I am 75mi south of where I live, I have scoped out the North/South rail lines that can get me heading home. I have a 4x4 but that is only good if there is no EMP. Also have good maps of area north of chicago to use back roads and forest preserve roads and trails. I have told my family no matter what I will make it home. The only thing that really bothers me is that being caught with a firearm in Illinois is not a good thing if you are out of state.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
First off, unless it's an EMP or attack of some kind it won't be like someone flipped a switch and it's instant pandeminoum (sp). If the picture starts getting ugly and it's building, you would want to try to be out of Dodge ae quick as possible.

Watching for protests, food lines, fuel shortages etc. Store some spare fuel at wor, is possible and be ready to head out when your gut says so.

That said. Keep the options open. Is there space at work to keep a small motorcycle. A cheepie that you can walk away from and not lose much. Keep the fuel fresh, ride it to lunch or somewhere once a week to keep it in shape.

The fold up bike in the trunk would be the next fall back option.

Finally there is the Danner Option, walking. Stay low key and as off the radar as possible. Figure out how long it will take you to walk home and double it. Can you cache food and supplies along the way?? Parks or open area.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
I can think of very few disasters that just happen suddenly short of maybe an earthquake or something. With most others, you'd have a time cushion to get home. The looting and rioting don't start at the very beginning either. There's always a lull while everyone lays low waiting for things to calm down, or for help to arrive or whatever. I can't see the world suddenly going crazy in two hours. If you're keeping your eyes open, you would be among the first to know something is amiss and know it's time to bail. If the others are already clogging the roads, then the 7-8 hours it takes to walk still wouldn't be in the timeframe that violence explodes. Just try to get out as early in a crisis as you can. Better too early than too late.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would join some sort of volunteer organization that helps with disasters (Such as Red Cross) or Join a local CERT. Many times you will get badges, and these badges might be enough to get you through a barricade. You will also learn some good skills!
Excellent idea!!! With this ability you could have the clearance to get through barricades!!! And if the event is the "big one", you don't have to sacrifice yourself and/or family and you would still have the badge to get through barricades/road blocks from .gov. Great idea!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts