Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ill start by telling you abit about my self, im 21 im a fitter by trade and ive just quit smoking, i started for stupid reasons, but ive quit now and i intend to stick to it. im 3 weeks in and its not easy

Im not that fit, ive started running basically using the ADF's get fit plan albit on a slightly longer timeframe. Already i feel better for it, I used to run state and nationals cross country and now id like ot get back into it.

For all those waiting to get fit and kick a bad eating/health habit, do it not before summer is in full swing, go for runs and walks or the gym. I feel better, i can think clearer.

its going to save more than just your life. you feel better and enjoy things more
not to mention the money im saving!

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Good on you mate,
Hope you stay with it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My husband and I are starting today he is bike riding, I,m walking,our girls are bike riding too.
I cant believe how my lungs dont work like they used to because of lack of exercise, (I dont smoke)
We have just set up a mobile sauna too, and started on lemon juice to clean our livers,gallbladders etc

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I think it would help if we gave up the middle daughter ,s cream cakes(she is a pastrycook), as well as exercise more than I am. We are going to start night walks together too

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I've brought my fitness back up to the level I was a few years back, still not 18 and a machine anymore though, I've noticed those hills a lot more lately. :rolleyes:

I started out walking the hills behind the property at 6am each day, and running a trap line for possums at the same time. (they're good food for the animals that eat meat. :D:)
Now I can make the 3km that had me gasping 6 weeks back at an easy jog with a full day pack full of possums.

I found diet makes a big difference though as farmerswife said, less of the cream buns and pies (but they taste so goood! :()
I've cleaned my diet up, more fruit and veges, less fats and sugars, and boy what a difference that has made to how I feel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi there GQtim,
I'm new here like many, first time poster, long time reader but,

One thing that many people will tell you is that once you start exercising regularly is to keep it up. Make your exercise part of your routine because when you stop even for a few weeks, starting again is like starting from the start.

When I was yonger and in TAFE I used to ride my push bike and whilst you become quite fit at riding several kms each way each day, a simple christmas break can make you feel like your starting all over again.

These days life is so busy it is hard to exercise but if you can do things like, digging in your vegepatch every weekend for a set time then you will be supprised at how much energy you can burn whilst enjoying the food you can produce at home.

I guess it always comes back to, start living the lifestyle now so that when something happens, to you its as if nothing did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well ill start by telling you abit about my self, im 21 im a fitter by trade and ive just quit smoking, i started for stupid reasons, but ive quit now and i intend to stick to it. im 3 weeks in and its not easy

Im not that fit, ive started running basically using the ADF's get fit plan albit on a slightly longer timeframe. Already i feel better for it, I used to run state and nationals cross country and now id like ot get back into it.

For all those waiting to get fit and kick a bad eating/health habit, do it not before summer is in full swing, go for runs and walks or the gym. I feel better, i can think clearer.

its going to save more than just your life. you feel better and enjoy things more
not to mention the money im saving!
Well done brah, stay especially strong when you're having a few beers, I found that the worse when I was quitting.
Like yourself, I'm using the ADF's plan to get fit also. I'm not sure how much coffee/soft drink you drink, but I've found drinking nothing but water, and allowing myself one sugar drink at night time has helped alot.
Keep it up man!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi guys,
i'm a personal trainer so my fitness is pretty good, just thought i'd throw it out there that if anyone wanted any specific training advice feel free to ask and i'll do my best to help out. one thing i will stress though is the benefit of resistance training for preventing injuries. things like running and jogging can be pretty high impact so i always recommend strength training to create strong joints and give better long term results.

cheers

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
i have gotten LESS FIT recently :(

Darn work commitments keeping me in the office too much.

I have been working hard the last few weeks to get fitter though, and I plan to keep it up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
yeah im starting to do more exercise and (hopefully) get fit again. I use dumbells and a curl bar to do various exercises, push ups, and tricep dips (dunno if thats what there called but i do them with a chair). Thats for my upper body strength. I do boxing at home. I ride my fixed gear bicycle alot, and for those who dont know what a fixed gear bike is, its basically like a tricycle, there is no freewheel and cant coast. If the wheels are moving, the pedals are moving. I ride it in a high gear and since I cant just stop pedaling, I thinks its a great way of exercise as im always pedaling and pushing harder.

The only thing I want to start doing more is running. I just cant get the motivation to run. I dunno why, I just cant.

oh and I just discovered burpees a few days ago. Now those things a hard after you do a few.

·
Camo nut
219 Posts
Started Geocaching as a hobbie that will get me off my ass a bit more. Not only will it get me outside and get fit it also gets me practicing with the GPS and thinking how to stash stuff. Its a bit of fun!

·
Banned
2,839 Posts
What a refreshing introduction. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on quiting the smoking. As a former smoker who still has cravings after 20 yrs my hat is off to you for the effort.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
hi guys,
i'm a personal trainer so my fitness is pretty good, just thought i'd throw it out there that if anyone wanted any specific training advice feel free to ask and i'll do my best to help out. one thing i will stress though is the benefit of resistance training for preventing injuries. things like running and jogging can be pretty high impact so i always recommend strength training to create strong joints and give better long term results.

cheers
cheers mate, can you give us some examples please?:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
cheers mate, can you give us some examples please?:)
sure. firstly, i can only give a general guide here. without knowing your specific conditions ie. body type, level of fitness, postural abnormalities, pre-existing injuries and/or diseases it would be impossible to give quality "personalised" advice. (but i'll do my best) and also if anything i say, clashes with anyones personal views or experiences i welcome and encourage their input. okay my general one size fits all program for healthy adults would look something like this: strength training 1-2 or even 3 times per week in the beginning depending on recovery ability. now this is important, as you get stronger i recommend spacing your workouts further apart to allow more time for recovery. the reasoning for this is that as your able to lift heavier weights for longer durations your body creates a greater volume of waste products in the same amount of time. the organs responsible for this waste clean up are the liver and kidneys and they have a set rate at which they can operate, so although your muscles get bigger and stronger, your liver and kidneys stay basically the same size so need more time to do their job (hope that makes sense). if you can do some form of cardio exercise (walking, jogging, swimming, bike riding etc.) for 30+ min every day thats awesome.

now the specific exercises i like to have every healthy person doing in order of priority (off the top of my head) are:

squats
deadlifts
chins
abdominal stability exercises
pressing exercise (depending on posture)

SQUATS
instead of writing a long-winded, confusing description on how to squat (and because i'm reeeeeeeeeeeealy tired) i thought i'd find a ready made version from someone who knows their stuff. i like mike robertson and everything i've read of his so heres a link to his site (which is packed with gem's of information for those that are interested)

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/squatting-101/

sorry guys but i'm comin off a 14 hr day and am drifting as i write :sleep: i might have to leave it there for now

i hope this helps even a little bit, i'll try to get on tomorro and finish all this off. and if you have any questions at all please dont hesitate to throw em at me

cheers

·
Breaking necks
280 Posts
C25K is a great program for people looking to get into exercise.

It starts out quite easy with alternating between running and walking for 20 minutes. After 9 weeks (3x a week) you should be able to run 5k.

http://www.c25k.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts