Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months those who know me have more than likely noticed my abscense from the site. I have been so tied up with work, training, school and buying/fixing up my new property that I have had no time to spare. 2 kids with sports going on and wife that needs attention have made my survival training a distant part of my daily life. I have still been buying my ammo and supplies on a Bi-weekly basis but feel I need to get back and brush up on my fire building, compass navigation, shelter building and trapping/food gathering. My goal after the first of the year is to get back to the site and back to prepping more.

My new home and property (18acre +1 with the home) will allow me to be almost 70-75% self sufficent. There will be a 3 acre garden (plus my grand parent 5acre garden next door) and i will have goats for meat/milk if SHTF. I also plan (end of 2009) to buy the additional 5 acres behind my home (owned by grand parents) and put some cattle or more goats on it. I will also have a 1acre pond for some fish (1acre will not yeild much but its a start) and water. I was hopeing to be much further ahead than I am now but life has great ways of knocking you back a few steps for every 1 or 2 you take forward.

I will get pics and video of the new place up once i get started and look forward to having Kev bring the big BBQ pit down for a good time. Anyone know how much land you need to be home to a number of goats would be welcome info. IE. 5 goats a acre extra

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Sounds like you are coming right a long. My mother-in-law runs 20 plus goats on 40 acres of poor grass land. What you have to worry about is foot rot. Make sure to have plenty of boulders for the goats to climb on to keep their hooves shaved down. Check for foot rot every month during wet weather. You can smell it when you are checking and cleaning their hooves. Goats get worms easily too. Run them on new pasture every 3 weeks. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts