Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont reside in the middle of a large city but I do live in the "Burbs". I try to maintain an idea in my head on who would be an ally and who would be a possible enemy in a SHTF scenario. I am happy to say that most of my immediate neighbors can more than likely be counted on to defend the street (such as what we are seeing in south africa). I am not going to say what I have but it would be enough to "lend" weaponry to several of them if the need should arise.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,450 Posts
Mine have proven pretty dismal. They are quiet but the guy next door used to block our driveway all the time with his truck, even though we would tell him our ride was coming with the wheelchair van. Would get a massive attitude with us. One time some years back came over and told me he would be parking his van in my driveway from now on, OK? I told him NO and he had a tantrum right there on my front porch. Very embarrassing. His kid was with him. I feel sorry for his wife.

My aunt told the neighbors on both side the day my husband died, she believed they would care. Neither of them even said "sorry". So I know what I'm dealing with. My job is to maintain OPSEC and keep a very low profile.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mine have proven pretty dismal. They are quiet but the guy next door used to block our driveway all the time with his truck, even though we would tell him our ride was coming with the wheelchair van. Would get a massive attitude with us. One time some years back came over and told me he would be parking his van in my driveway from now on, OK? I told him NO and he had a tantrum right there on my front porch. Very embarrassing. His kid was with him. I feel sorry for his wife.

My aunt told the neighbors on both side the day my husband died, she believed they would care. Neither of them even said "sorry". So I know what I'm dealing with. My job is to maintain OPSEC and keep a very low profile.
OPSEC is one thing...Having a neighbor violate your property is another. If he is parking on your property you have the legal right to have it towed away at his expense. He is doing this because he senses "weakness" in you. Stand up to him (and it seems you have been to an extent) or you will be dealing with this forever and it will get worse. My prayers are with you and sorry for your loss. I wish I could be there to help you.

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,489 Posts
That's it, PK....I'm sending Tanya Harding's ex over to your neighbor's place to billy club his knee caps.
What a childish, selfish doofus your neighbor is.
Still keeping you in my prayers, ma'am. (Tips imaginary hat to you, then rides off into the sunset).

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
That's it, PK....I'm sending Tanya Harding's ex over to your neighbor's place to billy club his knee caps.
What a childish, selfish doofus your neighbor is.
Still keeping you in my prayers, ma'am. (Tips imaginary hat to you, then rides off into the sunset).
That would be assault if you physically touch the person..then your the bad guy for every dispute from here on out.

The best way is to keep your self safe, un seen and "the oblivious" neighbor.
After the 2nd or 3rd talking to about not parking in my driveway they would come out to 1 flat tire, 2nd time 2 flat tires..3rd time..ops the drain plug for your engine must have came loose..the drips leeding in from off the road show that. After that if they still dont get the hint, the differential On these vehicles is prety easy to drain and dosnt have an idiot light when they run dry.

·
Registered
22,145 Posts
Even people who are general good judge of character can be fooled. My advice would be not to trust anyone with your prepper status unless you trust them with your life. Ultimately that is the stakes.

Build those relationships first. Don't think about revealing your superhero identity until later. Otherwise the risk reward gradient is poor.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
If there is anything that I can "hope" upon, is the local culture.
Where the rich botchers that live on the west end of the area are worthless and I couldn't rely on them any more than I could throw Texas, the folks up in the village are local community types who in many instances are descendants of the original Spanish settlers of the area.
They are deeply rooted here and even though we have some ugly politics in our own right, they have a strong communal aspect. There are a few newbies and a few I know would try to capitalize on any given situation, but I think we would be more akin to work together than not. Plus the road leading up is easily controlled.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
17,450 Posts
Oh, he stopped blocking the driveway. My husband had a head injury if you know, you know what that means... anyway Ron shouted at him a few times over that.

Also Latinos are very superstitious about disability they don't want to be near anyone with a physical problem they can see. So a couple times my husband went out (back when he could walk) and felt all over the car in our driveway, the guy came out and shouted at him, Ron said "It's MY driveway I was just looking" and the guy moved it.

My theory the house was flipped back in the early 2000's right before we bought it. I believe the neighbor helped his buddy on some tasks around the house and now feels like he is entitled to use the property. I had a lot of trouble with the kids coming on the property and such... I finally asked the kids if they did it with their other neighbors and they said no. I said "That's it then, treat me like one of the other neighbors" they whined but they did it.

He also had wild parties but that has ended with COVID.

Now that I am a widow they seem to be giving respect so there's that. I would rather have my husband but at least it is something good coming out of it.

Anyway other neighbors leave me alone. I suspect the lady behind me is feeding my cats, the cats are all portly and they don't get much from me.

Neighbor on other side parked in front of my house occasionally I was always OK with that. I did tell her it was OK after Ron died as "We don't need the wheelchair van anymore". the wheelchair van always had to park in the street. So she does and that is OK.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,781 Posts
All my neighbors are Feds, cops, or retired from both so I don’t have high hopes for them being willing to help those of us who aren’t out.

·
Premium Member
Very
1,295 Posts
Libs on both sides.
However the one side is a retired Dr from Phizer. So one day I asked about the vaccine. I was told that the normal course for R&D(2 yr), veterinary testing,(2-3 yr) human testing (2yr) was thrown out the door because…money. Phizer stands to make billions on this and the variants are just icing.
Back to the OP. They know we prep to some degree and yes I’ve heard the “I’ll be over”. My answer to them is always “ sure I’ll let you have a pound of honey”.

·
Indefatigable
21,479 Posts
That would be assault if you physically touch the person..then your the bad guy for every dispute from here on out.

The best way is to keep your self safe, un seen and "the oblivious" neighbor.
After the 2nd or 3rd talking to about not parking in my driveway they would come out to 1 flat tire, 2nd time 2 flat tires..3rd time..ops the drain plug for your engine must have came loose..the drips leeding in from off the road show that. After that if they still dont get the hint, the differential On these vehicles is prety easy to drain and dosnt have an idiot light when they run dry.
All that when you could just call a tow truck? It says more about you than the neighbor.

·
Bug-In Prepper
1,678 Posts
There are five families near'ish us. Two are good and friendly and competent (the older couple who train horses, and the latino family), one I've never actually met but she's called the sheriff on me for shooting a .22LR on my own property, one is a quiet younger couple who recently moved into the area and I really should get to know them better, and the fifth (who we call "tree-killer neighbor") is a nightmare who has caused us nothing but grief, and might be a liability if things go south.

I nearly forgot to include the younger couple in this enumeration. I frankly keep forgetting they exist. We've said "hi" exactly once, and I should improve upon that.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Farmers on all sides and retired folks, a few are former military, all are gun owners and we know each other well enough to call each by their first names, not concerned about helping each other it goes on all the time in some form or another, being rural has its advantages if you take the time to meet your neighbors and offer a helping hand from time to time it comes back to ya when you need a hand.
There is a country store not to far from where I live that is the local morning meeting place, where every one gets together at least once a week and discusses what going on in the community. local labor deals and horse trading gets done there all the time over a cup of coffee.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
I nearly forgot to include the younger couple in this enumeration. I frankly keep forgetting they exist. We've said "hi" exactly once, and I should improve upon that.
Don't feel bad. The house next door to me sold last spring. The woman has lived there over a year and we've never said hi to each other. Here is the sum of my knowledge of her.

She works for a local hospital.

She moved from Toledo to take this job.

She has a Trump flag off her porch.

She drives a 4x4 Chevy.

Sometimes she has what I assume is her son and grandkid up for a weekend.

Normally the wife would have been over there a tray of baked goodies and some homemade candies a long time ago, but with the cooties and her job we just ain't gonna bother her.

Actually where she came from and where she works were told to me by the previous owner when he was mowing the lawn and stuff a couple days before the sale closed.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I dont reside in the middle of a large city but I do live in the "Burbs". I try to maintain an idea in my head on who would be an ally and who would be a possible enemy in a SHTF scenario. I am happy to say that most of my immediate neighbors can more than likely be counted on to defend the street (such as what we are seeing in south africa). I am not going to say what I have but it would be enough to "lend" weaponry to several of them if the need should arise.

View attachment 379052
I can depend on my neighbors to hide and protect themselves. The other side of the street is all recently immigrated Africans. I'm not sure what they do when hungry but it's probably not good. I'll be sure to direct them towards the legislature.

Lol jk if it goes down we won't be here for it.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
7,080 Posts

Wow. I cannot imagine someone would have the nerve to pull that off. I am guessing this neighbor is a clergy member or something by that sort of entitled behaviour.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts