Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

· Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know. Its a gun culture board. Sorry.

But, let us do an exercise. You cannot carry a gun.
The conditions are just sort of an expansion of the George Floyd summer, civil unrest.
Urban environment.

Does your general sense of the get home bag change if (for whatever reason) you cannot carry a firearm?

I was thinking about the guy who has a battle belt, an AK, a bunch of ammo in his car right now (another thread), and I was wondering what you would do without said gun.

· Capability, not scenarios
13,025 Posts
There are some assumptions in your question. If I'd have that stuff in my car, wouldn't I just drive home?

Or is it that my car is disabled and I have to walk?

I always get a kick out of the "I have a lot of ammo" presumptions in this. My goal is to get home. I don't expect nor do I want to be in any kind of firefight. I can't predict how those would turn out, so the best strategy is to avoid them. My pistol is my carry weapon because it is small, can be concealed, and is a last-resort weapon if I'm trapped or surprised.

And that last dictates what I do. I'd avoid crowds, move quickly but as furtively as I could, and GET HOME. If I have no firearm, it's the same. GET HOME.

If the laws say no gun, nothing's changed. I might have some pepper spray, maybe an extendable baton, certainly a knife (though that would be more as a deterrent--who trains realistically with a knife? Not many).

And I'd certainly not want a long gun. Too conspicuous. Same with a baseball bat.

· Registered
5,936 Posts

The conditions are just sort of an expansion of the George Floyd summer, civil unrest.
Urban environment.

Does your general sense of the get home bag change if (for whatever reason) you cannot carry a firearm?

I was thinking about the guy who has a battle belt, an AK, a bunch of ammo in his car right now (another thread), and I was wondering what you would do without said gun.
I would only drive as far as the mailbox, and be nervous about it the whole time.

I have to fly to Memphis next Friday for a wedding. Rental car, hotel, no firearm. Until Sunday. I don’t like it.

· Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would only drive as far as the mailbox, and be nervous about it the whole time.

I have to fly to Memphis next Friday for a wedding. Rental car, hotel, no firearm. Until Sunday. I don’t like it.
While I LOVE Memphis. That town turns terrifying quick, in like 1 block. I think it is the last time I was in a jail, was in Memphis. Bailing a guy from our tour out. Actually no, I dropped of his gear, and we left him. Ha.

· Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some assumptions in your question. If I'd have that stuff in my car, wouldn't I just drive home?

Or is it that my car is disabled and I have to walk?

I always get a kick out of the "I have a lot of ammo" presumptions in this. My goal is to get home. I don't expect nor do I want to be in any kind of firefight. I can't predict how those would turn out, so the best strategy is to avoid them. My pistol is my carry weapon because it is small, can be concealed, and is a last-resort weapon if I'm trapped or surprised.

And that last dictates what I do. I'd avoid crowds, move quickly but as furtively as I could, and GET HOME. If I have no firearm, it's the same. GET HOME.

If the laws say no gun, nothing's changed. I might have some pepper spray, maybe an extendable baton, certainly a knife (though that would be more as a deterrent--who trains realistically with a knife? Not many).

And I'd certainly not want a long gun. Too conspicuous. Same with a baseball bat.
Okay, good stuff.

No car. You have car, you make choice to walk.

The ammo comment was based on the guy in the other thread. And my being a terrible shot maybe?

I have consistently thought about the ammo, gun thing as strange. Having been a victim of gun violence twice, and lived through the Rodney King riots in LA....my over all strategy is to hide. Run away. Be away.

THe extendable baton seems like something we should all get some skills in. Right?

· Capability, not scenarios
13,025 Posts
Okay, good stuff.

No car. You have car, you make choice to walk.

The ammo comment was based on the guy in the other thread. And my being a terrible shot maybe?

I have consistently thought about the ammo, gun thing as strange. Having been a victim of gun violence twice, and lived through the Rodney King riots in LA....my over all strategy is to hide. Run away. Be away.

THe extendable baton seems like something we should all get some skills in. Right?
Run away has always struck me as the best approach....if you can.

An extendable baton is only a defensive weapon. I want people to decide I'm not worth screwing with, and look for easier pickings. Extendable baton in dominant hand, pepper spray in other hand, and try to disengage.

If the car doesn't work/you don't have one, maybe a bicycle? In any kind of riot-type situation, ground zero has generally tended to be only a few blocks square. To get outside the danger zone should happen quickly--just move away from it. It the area of difficulty is on your way home, try to move at 90 degrees to your direction of travel, then when it clears up, head back in the original direction.

A lot of these kinds of scenarios presume having to fight one's way home. Not me. I don't want to fight. I want to run.

· Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Run away has always struck me as the best approach....if you can.

An extendable baton is only a defensive weapon. I want people to decide I'm not worth screwing with, and look for easier pickings. Extendable baton in dominant hand, pepper spray in other hand, and try to disengage.

If the car doesn't work/you don't have one, maybe a bicycle? In any kind of riot-type situation, ground zero has generally tended to be only a few blocks square. To get outside the danger zone should happen quickly--just move away from it. It the area of difficulty is on your way home, try to move at 90 degrees to your direction of travel, then when it clears up, head back in the original direction.

A lot of these kinds of scenarios presume having to fight one's way home. Not me. I don't want to fight. I want to run.
Yeah, right?

My experience in Los Angeles was not small. It consumed miles and miles and miles of our town.

· Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Along with a small GHB, I actually keep one of these in my truck now just because. It will go home with me.
View attachment 476989
I have one close. My grandfather was blacksmith (never met him), so we have a sort of familial connect to this stuff.

Plus, it is so amazingly useful. When we are at the lake this is almost alway the first thing we grab, or in the handful of tools when we set out to do a thing.

I love axes and hatchets.

· Registered
5,936 Posts
…my over all strategy is to hide. Run away. Be away.
Me too. I practice hiding probably as much as I practice shooting. Just about all my everyday clothing is khaki or gray. If it works for mulies, it oughtta work for me. But I’m almost never more than a mile from empty country. Unless I have to go to Memphis.

· KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
12,047 Posts

Urban environment.

Robert A Heinlein wrote a book -‘Tunnel In The Sky’ that has a big subplot about that very thing—The needed mindset to survive in a hostile environment w/o any weapon but a knife…
Can I get home w/o a gun?…Well, unless I can find/take/kill for one,Ima HAVE to get home w/o one…jmo

· Storyteller
5,941 Posts
Robert A Heinlein wrote a book -‘Tunnel In The Sky’ that has a big subplot about that very thing—The needed mindset to survive in a hostile environment w/o any weapon but a knife…
Can I get home w/o a gun?…Well, unless I can find/take/kill for one,Ima HAVE to get home w/o one…jmo
RAH makes that point in more than one book.
In Starship Troopers, the MI grunt is the weapon - as in 'there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people"

· Scapegoat of the Universe
13,769 Posts
Gun/No Gun is a personal choice. The part that ticks most off is the people who go off on disarmament-guns evil tirade. I myself have alternate stand alone plans that do not count on firearms. Some places (government buildings, hospitals) are very adamant about no guns, for reasons that are not political in nature. Going into one, say as shelter, could result in a longer stay than I wanted if armed.

· That'll be the day...
5,446 Posts
Just too many scenarios possible here.... that will require different answers.

Where are you?

1. Downtown Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.
2. Suburbs of a major city.
3. Town of 50k people.
4. You are 500 miles away from home on a business trip

...and where do you need to go?

1. An appartment that is 10 blocks away
2. 10 miles to the Suburbs
3. 50 miles to your BOL

I agree with most of the comments above. Escape.. lay low... hide... move with covertly... run from violence. Once out of town, travel like a deer...

I would try to find a stout stick/tree limb/2x4 or something I could use as a weapon if attacked.

· Dirt Dweller
2,016 Posts
No car, no gun, no problem. Hopefully I‘d have a pair of shoes I can hike in. I ’d become the “gray man” and head home by the safest route based on the best info I can gather. I’d look straight ahead, make no eye contact and be sure I’m not showing anything worth stealing. My GHB has a silcox and bottled water, energy bars and caffein pills. My study of history has shown the best time to move is EARLY in the disturbance so making fast time early is important. Move now, rest later.

· Registered
373 Posts
yes, my general sense does change, If I cant be armed, im not going! Why would you put yourself in a no-win situation? I feel for the peeps that got stuck in certain cities, but regardless of lightfoot or any other, Im not giving up my safety because some liberal tells me too.

If I had one and lost it, id move at night till I get home or find another.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts