Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what I have going. I just got some gun money and I'm wondering if I should invest it in a nice AR or get another Ak and a couple thousand rounds. I already have an Ak that I practice with and this would be the wife's gun. So from a survivalist perspective is the rule of twos better as in two Ak's or maybe an Ar for ammo availability. Maybe a 10/22 for ease of use and lots of ammo.... What do ya'll think?

·
Banned
3,737 Posts
The only thing better then an AK is two AK's. In the event one were ever to break (LOL) you could use the other and still have the first one for more parts, and your stored ammo is still usable. Plus this way you wouldn't have to stock up on two types of ammo.
If your AR breaks it doesn't do your AK any favors...........

·
Registered
586 Posts
How about investing in an area of your preps that could use shoring? If you have a good gun and some ammo, surely there are other holes in your survival plan that could better use attention? In my plan, guns are a last resort, not a first option, for life's unexpected turns. SHTF could embody other forms than full out WROL; a la Superstorm Sandy, for instance. Plan for that too. JMHO.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
What does your wife run better? Does she have a preference? Why not ask the person who will actually be using the weapon?

If she is clueless as to the firearm, I would spend the money on ammo/training and let her use your AK/see if you can find a course that is beginner and will loan her an AR. See what she thinks and go from there.

·
Simply, an AMERICAN...
5,477 Posts
Two is one, one is none.

Normally, I would say buy another AK and use the rest to buy FOOD and WATER.

But, if you don't have the 10/22, get it for her, and at least 1000 rounds of ammo, with some good Ruger BK 25 round mags for it (5).....and use the rest to buy FOOD AND WATER.

You have an AK, and it will split crap wide open. You don't need an AR.

·
The Iconoclast
373 Posts
Food/water/ammo.

No 10/22? Get one and get 5000 rounds of ammo. Then you will STILL have a few hundred left over toward more food and water. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Depends on your wife. If she is ready to learn let her decide which firearm suits her better. Mine could not use my AK worth a hoot. I taught her on the 1022 and she picked out a Mini-14 after checking out the ARs. If she is not on board to learn to shoot get yourself another AK and ammo or a scoped 308 bolt action if you don't have one.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You should get a decent side arm next if you dont have one, assuming all water and food storage is complete. A caliber you and your girl can both shoot well.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
Depends on your wife. If she is ready to learn let her decide which firearm suits her better. Mine could not use my AK worth a hoot. I taught her on the 1022 and she picked out a Mini-14 after checking out the ARs. If she is not on board to learn to shoot get yourself another AK and ammo or a scoped 308 bolt action if you don't have one.
Yep, I don't have a wife or anything like that, but I have some really good friends, and if it came down to it, we would probably all move into the same area. This christmas they all got uppers from PSA from me. Because they want to run the AR platform. I asked them before hand: "Do you want the AR platform, or the AK platform, or is there something else you feel better about".

ALWAYS get the input of the owner.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Yep, I don't have a wife or anything like that, but I have some really good friends, and if it came down to it, we would probably all move into the same area. This christmas they all got uppers from PSA from me. Because they want to run the AR platform. I asked them before hand: "Do you want the AR platform, or the AK platform, or is there something else you feel better about".

ALWAYS get the input of the owner.
Well, I do believe you are the right kind of friend to have!

·
Registered
586 Posts
If the next investment must be a firearm, I say stick with the .30 cal for logistical simplicity and superior ballistic performance. Yet come to terms with the trade offs that are involved and make sure before hand that you are accepting. For instance, I can say with certainty that lugging around six loaded AR mags and gun over terrain on foot is much less fatiguing than four steel AK mags and firearm. Especially if you want to carry around a small 30cal can of loose ammo on top of all else for resupply. That may not be an issue for you depending on your intended use. If it is, choose wisely.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have both both (ak/ar) and the AKs are the go to guns, they fire all ammo we can feed them. Only trouble with them is they don't like reloads. Not sure the problem there, I just don't buy them any more. Lake City ammo works all the time. Also u must keep your mags separate with two types of guns. The ar'sneed more attention in the care and cleaning of them. AKs run a patch wipe clean and go! ARs are great, but the stripping down possess is long and must be done! AKs are meant to load and fire... Simple period. No guess work, charge and fire. A 20 or 12 ga are a must have as is a good 22 (long rifle) and yes some type of handgun to have on your person, my ARs were bought along time ago and have served with honor. We practice (wife and I) with the AKs loading, unloading, on target speeds using a laser bore site. Letting everyone find their own gun and then working with it. Lucky for me the wife picked up the ak and was hitting the target with in three shots. 25 meters, open sites, with a halo she can stack em.
She is much better a shot than I could have asked for, I would have no problem with her as a snip as I scrounge! Hope this helps. Watcher

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have both both (ak/ar) and the AKs are the go to guns, they fire all ammo we can feed them. Only trouble with them is they don't like reloads. Not sure the problem there, I just don't buy them any more. Lake City ammo works all the time. Also u must keep your mags separate with two types of guns. The ar'sneed more attention in the care and cleaning of them. AKs run a patch wipe clean and go! ARs are great, but the stripping down possess is long and must be done! AKs are meant to load and fire... Simple period. No guess work, charge and fire. A 20 or 12 ga are a must have as is a good 22 (long rifle) and yes some type of handgun to have on your person, my ARs were bought along time ago and have served with honor. We practice (wife and I) with the AKs loading, unloading, on target speeds using a laser bore site. Letting everyone find their own gun and then working with it. Lucky for me the wife picked up the ak and was hitting the target with in three shots. 25 meters, open sites, with a halo she can stack em.
She is much better a shot than I could have asked for, I would have no problem with her as a snip as I scrounge! Hope this helps. Watcher

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
So here's what I have going. I just got some gun money and I'm wondering if I should invest it in a nice AR or get another Ak and a couple thousand rounds. I already have an Ak that I practice with and this would be the wife's gun. So from a survivalist perspective is the rule of twos better as in two Ak's or maybe an Ar for ammo availability. Maybe a 10/22 for ease of use and lots of ammo.... What do ya'll think?
1st choice: get another ak
2nd choice 10/22 and 2-3k rds

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,794 Posts
All of the above. Twice. Then do it again.

I have several reasons for this advice, from having redundancy and standardization to the fact that guns hold value as a hedge against the dollar when their availability is questioned by pending political climate. But the most important reason is to give the Brady Bunch and C[l]oward and Piven's disciple (Barack Hussein Obama) an ever-more-impossible task in their ban attempts.

Seriously, people get all bent out of shape over caliber and make and model, when the real issue is getting as many as possible in the hands of as many fully-functional citizens of the republic as possible, and getting them proficient as soon as possible. The ****ing match can continue once the threat is over.

That said, instead of the AR, consider a couple of Mini-14's. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts