Survivalist Forum banner

Whats in your pocket?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Is back.
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as how I abuse my knife-that is use it for literally everything BUT cutting stuff-I am wanting a multi-tool. People say the leatherman quality has gone down, But for some reason I don't hear all that muck about gerber. I know it is a great company and makes good products(I have used them before.) What are your opinions and reccomendations for brand, and model....bonus points if it has a seatbelt cuter....lol.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Basic Leatherman Multitool from when they first hit the market. It works for me. There are other versions out, but I don't like change and have seen no need to. Between that and a Spyderco in my pocket, I'm pretty set for minor work. I don't always carry the Leatherman though. Depends on where I'm going or what I'll be doing that day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I carry a Leatherman skeletool cx. I also really like the leatherman wave.

I don't know about gerber's warranty, but leatherman has always treated me great. I've broken my skeletool twice trying to tighten things that it really shouldn't have been used on. They fixed it for me not problem.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
Victorinox Spirit. It's never broken on me to begin with, and I've abused the hell out of it.
Leatherman is a good tool, I just view the metallurgy of the Victorinox to be superior. At the end of the day in a SHTF scenario, I doubt seriously the warranty departments for any of them will be open for business.

I don't know about gerber's warranty, but leatherman has always treated me great. I've broken my skeletool twice trying to tighten things that it really shouldn't have been used on. They fixed it for me not problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I carry a Spyderco Salt...a holdover from my days as a Kitchen Manager. Old Leatherman Wave and acc case in the truck; Leatherman Juice Pro I found and keep it in my camping box; and carry a Spyderco Endura 4 ffg when I hike light. All good. I leave the Randall in the safe...pretty big to carry around every day!!
B

·
5.56 Addict
215 Posts
I have had both Leatherman and Gerber brand MT's and liked both (and managed to lose them both). I'm impatiently waiting for the Leatherman MUT to come out. It's designed specifically for ar-15 shooters and the like. It's great looking but the price isn't so great - $150.00. I better not lose that one.

Here's one:

·
Registered
630 Posts

thats funny that you said that, i had a leatherman multitool and i broke it twice too, sent it in and after a second time they sent me a nasty letter about it being replaced so i dumped leatherman and will never use them again, switch to gerber and it has not failed me yet even putting it thru the same abuse that i heaped on the leatherman, so i'm sticking with gerber from now on. leatherman is dead to me now!

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
I've mentioned in other threads that I collect Leatherman's. However, I also have a SOG Powerlock and a Gerber (although my EDC is either Leatherman Charge TTi or a Fuse, depending one what I'm doing.) I'm also looking forward to receiving a new SwissTool Spirit. Take your prick....either Leatherman, Gerber, SOG, or the SwissTool will serve you well. Just decide what your needs are, and what will satisfy them.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
I use the Gerber Suspension Multitool. I bought two of them on sale a few years ago, keep one in my BoB and one in my Shooting bag. I have abused the hell out of the one in my shooting bag and it has held up well.

It is a bit clunky, ugly.... weighs about 10oz...but I like them and they didn't break the bank.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.