Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an incurable knife nut in my younger days, I've had a ton of knives come and go. Mostly go. I'v e had just about everything from SAK's to a small Randall collection. I've used a few different Opinel's for EDC, as well as higher end GEC and the iconic Buck 110. Some were good knives, some were very good knives, and some were over hyped over priced knives. In the end, they all did what they were supposed to do, cut.

But the one that keeps returning to my pocket is the humble little Gerber LST. Its flat, very light, pretty rugged for a feather weight, and costs about what a lunch is at a chain restaurant. Very replaceable if lost. For a walking around town pocket knife its great.

I think Gerber gets a bad rap. Yes, they make some junk in a large Asian nation with a Communist government, and no, I won't buy that stuff. But the Gerber LST's and Gator's are still made in Portland Oregon of some very decent 420HC, the same stuff Buck uses with the same cryo heat treat that Paul Bos tries to make like its his own secret. Since the little LST is a 'low cost knife, I use it hard, to the point that at times I abuse it. I've yet to break one.

I've been using the latest one for about a year now, and I have some thoughts. I got my first one in 1980 something, and it was before the great and evil lambasted Fiskars take over. It was a good knife. But like a lot of the old Gerber done Gerber, ti was thick behind the edge. Always had to spend a lot of time thinning out the blade edge. The newer ones, under Fiskars, are a very nice hollow grind, bringing down the edge Bice and thin for a better slicing blade than the old Gerber. And the checkering that is molded into the zytel, is finer, and much better 'grippier' than the old Gerber made LST. The Fiskars/Gerber LST has a better feel in hand, especially with fish slime and guts on hands. Feels better, and cuts better, whats not to like?

So, for the past 35ish years, I've had lots of knives, but the Gerber LST is what I keep coming back to for an EDC pocket knife. It breaks down boxes, cleans my fish, cuts twine in the garden out back, and whatever else I cut in the course of my day as a retired gentleman of leisure.

Yes, Gerber has done some things wrong, but they have also done some things right. Keeping the LST in the line up is right. I hope they keep the LST in the line, but I've went and bought a few more just in case. Great little knife for a very good price.

·
Dirt Dweller
955 Posts
¡The 420HC steel is one of my favorites. It seems to be a good blend of holding the edge long enough and ease to sharpen.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Man,... I had 2 LSTs, first one around mid- 1980s Lost it, bought another, then found the first one. Lost one at work about 10 years ago and lost the second one while canoeing (no, no firearms were lost.....).
Sure, they still sell them, but mine had the Unobtainium plastic pocket clip- I CANNOT find another with it. I occasionally scan the interwebs but have not found the pocket clip version.
I do have the small model LST but do not really carry it. It has no pocket clip.
If I could find the version with the clip I would buy several.
Any suggestions????

·
Registered
189 Posts
Man,... I had 2 LSTs, first one around mid- 1980s Lost it, bought another, then found the first one. Lost one at work about 10 years ago and lost the second one while canoeing (no, no firearms were lost.....).
Sure, they still sell them, but mine had the Unobtainium plastic pocket clip- I CANNOT find another with it. I occasionally scan the interwebs but have not found the pocket clip version.
I do have the small model LST but do not really carry it. It has no pocket clip.
Any suggestions????

If you're quick enough, here's one on the e-bay

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions????
Thats funny. I actually had one that came with the pocket clip, but I ditched the clip. Never carry a clipped knife, as I found it either gets in the way, or gets caught on seatbelt and pulled out. I've never liked pocket clips. I'm old fashioned and just stick it down in my pocket. If I'm out on the boat or anywhere I worry about loosing it, I use a lanyard (AKA dummy cord) to attach it to me. Thats the way we carried the demo knife in the army. Lanyard knot stuck under belt and knife down in pocket. If I was really paranoid, I'd shove a loosely wadded up bandana down on top of it. Thats the way we carried the traditional pocket knives when I was a kid.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
I have couple and they are excellent little folders. Gerber definitely got these blades right, both of mine are razors. They're in-stock at the Gerber online store ($23).

ROCK6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts