Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about buying it. Read some reviews and seems good, but do you guys have some other suggestions for a survival/hiking knife?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If your cutting through live wires, you should get the LMFII. If not, there are many many many options for a survival knife that I would take over the LMFII.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Like (model) ..??
If you don't have a kabar, I'd go with this first. Everyone has to have at least one. If you want a huge knife I'd also recommend the Kabar heavy bowie, but it's really a big knife to carry.

More money gets you into ESEE brand, and are highly reviewed here.

Cheap and full of quality is a good old Mora classic, will do you just fine out there.

·
Survivalist
394 Posts
I love ontario i have a ontario kbar with a black finish and a rubber handle it feels solid and way more comfortable then my classic kbar.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
i have a LMF II wouldnt change it for the world ... its heavy but i prefer that and weight isnt too much of an issue for me ...

thing is top notch

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Lmf ii

The Gerber LMF II is a very popular knife, a lot of people are very happy with them for survival knife duties. :thumb:

That being said, I'm not sure it would be the best choice if you plan to do a lot of hiking mostly because of its bulk and weight.

The Gerber Prodigy is worth a look as its similar to the LMF II but a tad smaller and only weights a little over half as much as the LMF II.

Some others to consider for dedicated hiking knives would be the ESEE 3 or ESEE 4 as they are a little more compact and more lightweight.

Although not really a 'survival knife' my little ESEE Izula II is what I tend to take with me on short hikes the most and is an awesome little knife.

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
i got a LMF II ... best knife i have ever bought ... i have abused it like hell ... and its still as good ... i have that and a BK2 ... use both for woodland work but the LMF also sits with my BOB ready incase of a more urban scenario

·
Learning
6,729 Posts
I also have a LMFII, used it to gut a deer...it does fine.

I also got a m9 bayonet, Phrobus III...but that is heavier than my Gerber. Used it to gut my deer last year. It also got the job done.

Both have built in sharpeners.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got the LMF ii - very functional knife. It has a pointed butt end for breaking glass or a skull breaker. You can lash the knife to a piece of branch to use a spear. The sheath can be mounted in several ways and molle compatible. Sheet has built-in sharpner. Blade is sharp and partly serrated. I love this knife.

I also own a kukri - full tang. I bought in Nepal. I have used and tested this to cut down branch around 10cm thick. It has a double edge and very well balance and very sharp. It is more on the tactical category though unlike traditional kukris.

Here is the link. http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/product.php?id=313034fc812

·
Registered
939 Posts
don't listen to the people who are telling you to buy a ka-bar over a gerber lmf2.

I currently have an lmf 2 and two 2 ka-bar knives. the ka-bar is a great fighting knife but impractical as a survival knife.

the Ontario stuff is good also... but is too over rated in my book. the only real plus for the Ontario stuff are the micarta handles. I have an rd6, which is a good knife, but comes with a crappy sheath. so, unless you buy Ontario's more expensive brands (esee, rat) you get a crappy sheath.

the mora classic is one of the best blades in the group but it has a cheapo wood grip and doesn't have a full tang.

of all the knives suggested I would personally go with the lmf 2. it has a good blade, nice comfortable grip, good usable features, a built in sharpener, and a good quality sheath.

the ontario stuff is a close second, but they are simpler knives and don't have the features of the lmf 2.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Bushmonkey makes some sweet lookin ones out of 01 using blanks. Never seen a sheath for em though. For a multi use knife you can depend on, the lmfII with molle sheath would be hard to beat for the price. It's not as sexy as some other blades for sure but I like the ability to quickly make it into a spear tip which practically 99% of knives lack. It's not a $200 blade so it would work well that way I'd bet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts