1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I am not a knife expert, but one thing I would want in any fixed blade knife, including a backup, is a full length tang (like the primary one you mention).

One thing I like about your backup over the primary is the lack of any fastener mid-handle. Under heavy use these can lead to blisters.

Cheers,
Per.

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Would you care to do a review of it and post some pictures?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kev, I'll post some pictures and a review when I get the time. I still haven't used it much, so I'd like to see how it does in wet conditions. I'll post them after my next camping trip.

But heres a link that convinced me to purchase one. http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev.../Gerber Back-Up/Owner Review by Ray Estrella/

Young, thats what I was thinking. I've been using the Trident for a while now, and I haven't experienced anything negative with it. I even own a couple of Gerber task lights. (One red led and one white led) Gerbers becoming my favorite brand.

SOLIDUS

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I too like the Gerber. Attached is a picture of my Gerber hunting knife. Been to hell and back and has always performed when asked to.

Attachments

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
Solid- since you're in Sweden, and working with the military- ask the lads where you can get a hold of a F1 or S1, and an AK-4 Bayonet.

F1 should be standard issue with some regiments, and the AK-4 Bayonet is excellent for those heavier jobs. ;)

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
Yup, I had them both- gave the F1 away to me dear old dad. Never really used the AK4 for anything other then poking around, and splitting wood.

Yeah, the original "militaryshop sweden" is in Gothenburg, it can be tricky to find... There's a map on the webpage, thou. Also, they've changed their name to "Terrang" (put a couple of dots over the a), and are now geared towards being a more normal hiking/outdoors store, I guess.

Their Webpage is here.

400kr for the S1!?! :eek:

Let me look around, I got mine, new for 199! I forget where- I'll fill you when I remember!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen the S1 for sale in Svinesund a couple of times for roughly 400,-

Let me know when you find out where you bought the S1 for 199,- I'd like to get one if they're that cheap.

SOLIDUS

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
Ok, so now I've sent and received an email about that S1.

Bought it not in Svinesund, but Svanesund... (hah!) The store that sold them quit selling guns and outdoor-gear, and started selling electronics, or some such. :mad:

Seems like I got mine on the clearance. I'm sorry to get your hopes up, and fool you like that, Solidus!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn you Jocke! ;) Just kidding. Svanesund, not too familiar with that name. I'll ask around. The store that took it's place is probably "OnOff", it's a pretty big electronics store here in Sweden.

I can probably get one through the military if I ask. If not, 400,- not that bad for a decent knife.

SOLIDUS

P.S.
Thanks for looking it up and letting me know!

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
No... the same family owns the place. I guess that guns and stuff didn't sell to well.

Svanesund is on the island of Orust, on the wescoast. If you meant the Svinesund that borders Norway- the place with the shiny new bridge- Svanesund should be about 2-3 hrs south of it.

I grew up in Gothenburg, then moved to Orust. So I'm sort of familiar with that area. :D

Another chain of stores that are worth checking out are OB (with the dots over the O), it's name "overskotts bolaget" sort translates into "the surplus company". They usually have a bit of everything, for not too much money. Might be able to get a sweet deal there? ;)

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Da så. I'll have to check that out. I usually travel to Svinesund to buy Dr.Pepper. They have it at Maximat. I really miss Dr.Pepper. lol

I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

SOLIDUS

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
What the?? Where the heck are you at?

I want to know, since I grew up in your current AO, or so it seems.

I've got buddies whom are working at various stores- if you miss stuff that much, I might be able to use the oldboy network to get you a case or so off soda, candy, and whatnot.... if you can travel to Uddevalla, that is? (one friend routinely gets himself cases of jolt cola, a energydrink/soda that isn't commonly for sale in Sweden).

...I miss the candy from home.

Especially the salted kinds. :D

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hei Jocke,

Sorry for the late reply. I've gotten the flue. (Hopefully not the bird flu lol.)
I don't live very far from Stromstad. So it's not that bad driving over to Svinesund to get my Dr.Pepper. They also have Rootbeer there. (Not A&W though)

Yeah, I understand you missing the candy. American candy isn't as good IMO. Esp. the Chocolate.

SOLIDUS

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
Yeah, I understand you missing the candy. American candy isn't as good IMO. Esp. the Chocolate.

Oh- so then you're all the way up there! Oh yes... good ol' Bohuslan.... US-made chocolate have a long way to go until it catches up with Marabou.
I hope you're feeling better!

Did you make it down to Goteborg, or did you have to skip that trip?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm gonna have to postpone the Goteborg trip. I'm in no mood to drive/take a train out there.

Marabou makes some of the best sweets I've ever tasted. So Jocke, you speak Swedish then?

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
I'm gonna have to postpone the Goteborg trip. I'm in no mood to drive/take a train out there.
With the gasprices as they are back home, I would suspect that train would be the cheapest and fastest way to go...? If you take the train, you'll arrive pretty centrally in Goteborg.

Marabou makes some of the best sweets I've ever tasted. So Jocke, you speak Swedish then?
They sure do, hands down! Ofcourse I speak it, I am Swedish, after all! I grew up on Orust- that would be roughly 250 km's (25 SWE-miles ;) ) south of your current position!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been considering taking the train, but I also appreciate long drives. My Swedish is a bit rough. (Jeg taler Svenska lite bra, just!) However I speak Norwegian almost fluently.(Norsken min er mye bedre!) Ever think about going back to Sweden for vacation?

Hej Då! ;)

·
Loup-Garou
83 Posts
I see, I am not one for long drives like that. How come you speak Norwegian fluently? Not that there's any big difference (I guess me and you are the only two on the forum that would hear it?;) ) between the two languages.

Spoken, that is. Written, it's a tad worse. Yes, I'll be heading back to see the parents this summer/autumn/winter I'm not sure when.

Fair warning: Even if you do like driving, I found it easier to drive in LA then Gothenburg. The layout of the streets really have no reason to them. They're not in a grid, unlike most US cities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts