Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked at one yesterday, too, but decided against it for the time being. I already have a Gerber machete, and one edge is serrated. Although it's not as compact as the folding saw, it will have more than one use.
Do you know anything about those little, flexible saws that come in those tiny cases for BOBs, etc? I've wondered how they would compare to a larger saw, like the Gerber, and if the small size would be a worthwhile trade-off if you were on the run.

·
Registered
366 Posts
10" is a little short

I have never used one of these, but I have used other bow saws over the years. Bow saws tend to bind easily, this can lead to breaking the blade. These days I just carry a small cross cut saw. A Stanley Fine Finish saw. It comes with a great blade cover, and is very light because of a plastic handle. I got it at Menards for $8.
Last summer I brought it on a canoe trip. My buddies daughters thought it was funny when I started cutting down a dead tree about 14" in diameter. 20 min later it crashed down and they were impressed to have all kinds of firewood right next to camp. They had been foraging deep into the mosquito infested forest. I could not have accomplished this with a small bow saw because the frame would have stopped me from cutting deep enough.

·
Fly it Northward
281 Posts
Go with the Trailblazer take-down Swede saw. I have used vitrually all the saws on the market and this one is by-far the best. It looks like a gimmick but IT'S NOT! It's an out standing, award winning piece of kit...a real saw for $30. I carry one in my bush plane and I issue them on my Survival Courses. It's a bit bigger than the "prunning" type of saws like the Gerber but it's far more useful. I have broken several Gerber saws (still love their products though!) but not the Trailblazer. If you're sold on a "prunning" type saw, Trailblazer makes one that is superb. It even can be screwed onto a pole to reach with...great products...made in Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the trailblazer saw too. compact , light , tough ..see it here
https://www.mercersmarine.com/sagro/storefront/images.php?mode=showimages&product=6173

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I have never used one of these, but I have used other bow saws over the years. Bow saws tend to bind easily, this can lead to breaking the blade. These days I just carry a small cross cut saw. A Stanley Fine Finish saw. It comes with a great blade cover, and is very light because of a plastic handle. I got it at Menards for $8.
Last summer I brought it on a canoe trip. My buddies daughters thought it was funny when I started cutting down a dead tree about 14" in diameter. 20 min later it crashed down and they were impressed to have all kinds of firewood right next to camp. They had been foraging deep into the mosquito infested forest. I could not have accomplished this with a small bow saw because the frame would have stopped me from cutting deep enough.
you can always remove the frame and make a bigger 1 it be harder to use but you can just add a saw blade and make a frame for it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts