Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen these or know anything about them.
This is the first time I've come across them. Comments please!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews on them....soft metal on head pits and dulls easy....I have an estwing and love it..there's some video's on you tube on the gerber...

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Has a certain tacti-cool appeal.

Anyone got a link to a retailier?

When I do a search for "Gerber Camp Axe", I get the one with
the fiberglass handle, not what's shown in the O.P.'s picture.

And a quick rummage on the Gerber site doesn't show that listed
under axes.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Just sent an e-mail to Gerber, along with a picture of the
mystery axe, so see what information they might provide.

I'll post the info if I get a response.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Response from Gerber:

Thank you for contacting Gerber Blades. The product you are inquiring about is not a Genuine Legendary Gerber Blades product or design.

In our efforts to reduce fraudulent distribution of the Gerber logo, we are requesting any information you might be able to provide regarding this product.

Was this product found on the internet, if so, what is the web address?

We appreciate any information you can provide which will further aid our investigation of these fraudulent products. To view our current product offerings, you’re welcome to visit our website at www.gerbergear.com.

I didn't rat anyone out. I informed them that I got the picture from "an
internet forum", and there were no links posted by anyone that would
help them track down the source.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Why not? You sure were interested in buying it because it had a Gerber logo and if you got it and complained to Gerber that it was a POS and they said, "Tough mammaries, you bought the POS, you can suffer with it"--or words to that effect wouldn't you be upset?

Especially when you tried to get a refund and found the site closed down or they'll never respond to your e-mails--then what? You'd report them to them police and the postal authorities for Credit Card and Mail Fraud wouldn't you?

What about the 1,000 other suckers out there that are doing the same thing, sure Caveat Emptor and all that but if you now know this is a rip-off, why not let the rest of the Internet knife sites etc. know about it as well as telling Gerber.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My instant urge to posess one, is in a argument with the part of my mind that says taking a large notch out of the head of a time proven design, inherantly weakens the strength of the design!

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Why not? You sure were interested in buying it because it had a Gerber logo and if you got it and complained to Gerber that it was a POS and they said, "Tough mammaries, you bought the POS, you can suffer with it"--or words to that effect wouldn't you be upset?

Especially when you tried to get a refund and found the site closed down or they'll never respond to your e-mails--then what? You'd report them to them police and the postal authorities for Credit Card and Mail Fraud wouldn't you?

What about the 1,000 other suckers out there that are doing the same thing, sure Caveat Emptor and all that but if you now know this is a rip-off, why not let the rest of the Internet knife sites etc. know about it as well as telling Gerber.
Not exactly sure why you feel a need to launch an attack here,
but ok, let's dance... :xeye:

1. Beg to differ. I didn't say I was interested in buying it. I said it had a
"certain tacti-cool appeal", which was mixed-message compliment at best.
I asked if anyone had a link to retailer because I was curious how much
it cost. Just looking for information, if that's ok with you.
That's a bit of a hop, skip, and a jump to actually buying it.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.

2. And I can guarantee you that having the "Gerber" logo on it has
absolutely "zip" to do with my decision to purchase a product. Just
personal opinion, but I find most Gerber gear to be middle of the road
at best. I posted the response from Gerber regarding it not being an
actual Gerber product because it seemed germane to the discussion at
hand, for anyone who was actually interested in buying it.

3. I'll stand by my decision to not "rat" out a fellow forum member(s) who
simply inquired about a possible product. To my read, Gerber's e-mail had
an aggressive tone, and I didn't necessarily feel like pointing them in
the direction of the OP, or others who posted follow-up messages.
Just trying to work and play well with others. (The content of this
little sidebar to the contrary...)

4. You got a bug about this and want to play the White Knight? Great.
How about you get up off your rear and contact the rest of the internet
and Gerber yourself instead of playing arm-chair-quarterback to my decision?

I'll get you started: [email protected]

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Not exactly sure why you feel a need to launch an attack here,
but ok, let's dance... :xeye:

1. Beg to differ. I didn't say I was interested in buying it. I said it had a
"certain tacti-cool appeal", which was mixed-message compliment at best.
I asked if anyone had a link to retailer because I was curious how much
it cost. Just looking for information, if that's ok with you.
That's a bit of a hop, skip, and a jump to actually buying it.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.

2. And I can guarantee you that having the "Gerber" logo on it has
absolutely "zip" to do with my decision to purchase a product. Just
personal opinion, but I find most Gerber gear to be middle of the road
at best. I posted the response from Gerber regarding it not being an
actual Gerber product because it seemed germane to the discussion at
hand, for anyone who was actually interested in buying it.

3. I'll stand by my decision to not "rat" out a fellow forum member(s) who
simply inquired about a possible product. To my read, Gerber's e-mail had
an aggressive tone, and I didn't necessarily feel like pointing them in
the direction of the OP, or others who posted follow-up messages.
Just trying to work and play well with others. (The content of this
little sidebar to the contrary...)

4. You got a bug about this and want to play the White Knight? Great.
How about you get up off your rear and contact the rest of the internet
and Gerber yourself instead of playing arm-chair-quarterback to my decision?

I'll get you started: [email protected]
I prefer the tango, merengue and jive...Oh, and maybe a little two-step for fun.

If not interested (for whatever reason) why would you have contacted Gerber for additional info on the cheaply modified fireman's axe? Why not just ask the OP where a name or better still a link was to the item in question--Oh, wait, you did do that but he didn't respond quick enough for you so you went ahead--to Gerber and found out it was a fake...For which I should have thanked you then, which I didn't do, so I'll do it now...You found that out because of the logo telling you where to search, the easily recognizable trademark.

Of course, Gerber, would have an aggressive tone...They are having their trademark infringed upon, their relatively good name sullied and bandied about when people get (if they get) this POS crap in the mail and the financial burden of legal fees having to deal with all the preposterous law suits that would stem from that not to mention the legal aspect of getting the makers/marketers to take the logo off the axe and any other items they are making/selling...I know that I'd be sure a Hell be "irked off" as all those expenses have to be found somewhere, that means the consumer gets screwed when prices go up

I knew that the Gerber camp style axes and hatchets were being copied quite extensively by the mother humping, Chi-Comm cutlers and being sold with (and without) the logo to unsuspecting consumers, primarily through small hardware, camping and landscaping companies--I read that some 30% to 35% of all their axes aren't theirs...That's a HUGE revenue loss! The intellectual property resides with the Trademark/Logo but they are also infringing upon the patents that Fiskars has on the axes which I know hadn't expired when the cheap knock-offs started flooding the market.

Then again, I did say "Caveat Emptor".

Where did I say to rat out the individual here--I said "but if you now know this is a rip-off, why not let the rest of the Internet knife sites etc. know about it as well as telling Gerber". That to me means the arseholes who posted the original site where this rip-off POS was located...What good would naming this site do, other then a picture...Ken isn't selling it, he was inquiring about it...There's no onus on him.

I'll be happy, no thrilled, no, better, make that elated--overjoyed even (It is Sat morning comics) to send the info to Gerber and the five or six sites that would pass it along, if I knew the website where they were selling and/or making it...Knife Digest, Blade, Knifemaker's and Knife Forums, Knife Collector, JerZee Devils and Cutlery News Journal.

That means that I'll then get the reward from Fiskars/Gerber...Last time (different scenario), it was a Trunk kit--folding shovel and saw, axe, multi-tool, flashlight...Then a first aid (Touring) and survival kit--Blast-Match, signal mirror, roll-up saw, a fixed and a folding knife...Time before that it was four newly released knives (2 folders and 2 fixed) that I had to critique.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
I prefer the tango, merengue and jive...Oh, and maybe a little two-step for fun.

If not interested (for whatever reason) why would you have contacted Gerber for additional info on the cheaply modified fireman's axe? Why not just ask the OP where a name or better still a link was to the item in question--Oh, wait, you did do that but he didn't respond quick enough for you so you went ahead--to Gerber and found out it was a fake...For which I should have thanked you then, which I didn't do, so I'll do it now...You found that out because of the logo telling you where to search, the easily recognizable trademark.

Of course, Gerber, would have an aggressive tone...They are having their trademark infringed upon, their relatively good name sullied and bandied about when people get (if they get) this POS crap in the mail and the financial burden of legal fees having to deal with all the preposterous law suits that would stem from that not to mention the legal aspect of getting the makers/marketers to take the logo off the axe and any other items they are making/selling...I know that I'd be sure a Hell be "irked off" as all those expenses have to be found somewhere, that means the consumer gets screwed when prices go up

I knew that the Gerber camp style axes and hatchets were being copied quite extensively by the mother humping, Chi-Comm cutlers and being sold with (and without) the logo to unsuspecting consumers, primarily through small hardware, camping and landscaping companies--I read that some 30% to 35% of all their axes aren't theirs...That's a HUGE revenue loss! The intellectual property resides with the Trademark/Logo but they are also infringing upon the patents that Fiskars has on the axes which I know hadn't expired when the cheap knock-offs started flooding the market.

Then again, I did say "Caveat Emptor".

Where did I say to rat out the individual here--I said "but if you now know this is a rip-off, why not let the rest of the Internet knife sites etc. know about it as well as telling Gerber". That to me means the arseholes who posted the original site where this rip-off POS was located...What good would naming this site do, other then a picture...Ken isn't selling it, he was inquiring about it...There's no onus on him.

I'll be happy, no thrilled, no, better, make that elated--overjoyed even (It is Sat morning comics) to send the info to Gerber and the five or six sites that would pass it along, if I knew the website where they were selling and/or making it...Knife Digest, Blade, Knifemaker's and Knife Forums, Knife Collector, JerZee Devils and Cutlery News Journal.

That means that I'll then get the reward from Fiskars/Gerber...Last time (different scenario), it was a Trunk kit--folding shovel and saw, axe, multi-tool, flashlight...Then a first aid (Touring) and survival kit--Blast-Match, signal mirror, roll-up saw, a fixed and a folding knife...Time before that it was four newly released knives (2 folders and 2 fixed) that I had to critique.
Really not following why you're so lit up at me over this. Psst... here's
a little secret... I didn't make the bogus axe. I'm not selling the bogus
axe, nor did I buy it. I don't even know where to find the thing.
And yet, because I contacted Gerber and found out it's a fake, I suddenly
have some elaborate obligation to satisfy your sense of vengence against the
unknown counterfitting party? Seriously? Yeah, let me get right on that.

I should just drop this pin-headed discussion, but as they say, arguing
with an engineer is a bit like mud-wrestling with a pig. You both end up
getting dirty, but after a while, you figure out the pig is enjoying itself.

So on to your finely crafted discussion points:

1. I contacted Gerber because I had never seen that alleged Gerber axe
before. I thought I generally knew their product line, so I was curious.
Do you buy everything you take a passing interest in? If so, let me
congratulate you on your obviously unlimited supply of disposable income.
Care to share your secrets of unlimited wealth with the rest of us?
Until you do, I guess you'll just have to tolerate the knowledge that I'm
out there in your world somewhere, sometimes investigating items that
-- gasp! -- I don't buy. I rarely contact the sales department of a
company when there are so many on-line reviews available elsewhere,
but since this thing was a complete mystery, I took an interest.
Apparently I should have obtained your permission first?
I'll make a note of that.

2. Why didn't I ask the orginal poster for a name or link? Because the
original poster posted the picture with the same question. Why would
I ask the guy who obviously doesn't know? Seriously, did you actually
think that tortured thought process through before you posted it?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you just fired
off the first thing that hop-scotched across your brain, because the
other alternative is truely frightening. And why did I contact Gerber
so quickly after asking if anyone had a link and not getting an answer?
Just the sequence of events in which they happened. Please, enlighten
me -- How long do you require I wait in these sort of situations? I certainly
don't want to run afoul of your mandates in the future.

3. Thank me, don't thank me. Whatever. Do you honestly believe your nod
of approval carries any satisfaction for me? We're an internet forum
here to share information. I shared what information I had. Maybe
someone found it useful. Maybe they didn't. Only you launched an
unprovoked attack. Outstanding.

4. Sadly, I find myself having to agree with you over the topic of
the trademark infringement on Gerber or anyone else's name.
Man, that pains me. Makes me want to disagree with you just
on general principals, but then again, you're so far off base on so
many other points, that I'll just content myself with those.

5. OK, so you would be thrilled, elated, overjoyed to contact Gerber
and multiple other websites IF only you knew the orginal source of
the bogus axe. So you can't do it, but you're not above throwing
an a$$-chewing on me for not doing it either. Where do you expect
me to get that information? You're so smart -- you go track it down.

6. So then you'll get goodies from Gerber for tracking down bogus
products for them? OK, Sounds plausible. So why are you wasting your
time arguing with me when you could be making hay on a more profitable
venture? Instead of trying to bully me into taking up your quest, one
would think you would see this as a golden opportunity, and quietly
run with it. The fact that you're not makes your claims somewhat suspect.

Bonk! Ball back in your court, and the clash of the two internet tough-guys continues. :D:

My apologies to the remainder of the posters on this thread for my
participation in the mindless drivel. I should rise above it, but meh,
it's too cold to go out and play so I'll just torment SeekHer since he
came here trolling for a fight. :rolleyes:

·
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Response from Gerber:

Thank you for contacting Gerber Blades. The product you are inquiring about is not a Genuine Legendary Gerber Blades product or design.

In our efforts to reduce fraudulent distribution of the Gerber logo, we are requesting any information you might be able to provide regarding this product.

Was this product found on the internet, if so, what is the web address?

We appreciate any information you can provide which will further aid our investigation of these fraudulent products. To view our current product offerings, you’re welcome to visit our website at www.gerbergear.com.

Wow, that is interesting. I found them on ebay!

Heres the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Camp-Axe...962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0cbf0232

·
Breaking necks
280 Posts
I sent Gerber an Email with the link. Imitating a brand and stealing their rep is not okay anyway you slice it.

·
A Whiter Shade Of Pale
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sent Gerber an Email with the link. Imitating a brand and stealing their rep is not okay anyway you slice it.
This is true but there probably isn't much they can do about it. Look at all the knock-off's like copies of spyderco or emerson knives. They copy the design and even use the name. China is famous for this. I don't think they can even go after the seller!:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts