Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Red White and Blue
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday sided with Georgia in ending its eight-year battle with Florida over water that runs through Atlanta’s thirsty metro region and downstream past cotton and peanut fields to Apalachicola Bay and its depleted oyster fisheries.
The high court tossed out claims by Florida that Georgia is using too much water from the Chattahoochee River, a tributary of the Apalachicola River basin downstream, driving up salinity levels in the estuary it feeds and causing the once-rich oyster population there to collapse.
In the eyes Michael Dasher, a fourth-generation Florida oysterman counting on a different outcome in legal bids to wrestle back more freshwater supplies for his vanishing way of life, it’s over.
“We thought the court would finally do what’s right and help us out, send more water,” said Dasher, 54. “We know Atlanta and them all in Georgia need it too, but they’ve about run the river dry. This is pretty much the end for us.”

the USA Southeast is one of the best-watered places in the Western world. a little surprising to me that they're having issues.
some third-world places constantly fight over water. doesn't get much mention in the USA (media).

anyone with direct knowledge?
observations?

·
Banned
272 Posts

anyone with direct knowledge?
observations?
My direct knowledge is ,,,, wring the sweat out of tee shirts and thongs,, you'll find more water there in both states,,, Damn retards,,,

Hum,, If I want to make swamps and the like,,, what do I need?...water... tap the swamps...

·
Registered
145 Posts
The problem is the oyster industry in apalachicola fl, and the salt content of their bay.

“Apalachicola is the oyster capital of the world. Remnants of its colorful and diverse past remain very visible today through its many historic homes and buildings. Apalachicola's history and maritime culture are matched only by the area's bountiful natural resources and fresh local seafood, including the world-famous Apalachicola Bay oyster.”

To high of salt content, no oysters, that ruling killed the oyster industry there and shut down many jobs.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Poor planning by Florida on this one. They should have enlisted the help of environmental wacko groups to sue claiming Georgia is hurting the environment and killing endangered species by taking all that water out of the ecosystem. The libs on the Court would have bought that argument.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts