Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting the process of selecting generator for for my BOL. Trying to come up with good information and comparative data. I looks like I need 3,500 to 4,000 watts to handle the site's requirements.

Questions:
How much "headroom" do I need
gas vs diesel vs propane
vendors - Honda, Onan etc,
any quality and noise difference between a fixed and "portable" version

Any and all help would be apprecated
MS Jordan

·
Bad Dog
1,186 Posts
for longevity, you want one that runs at 1800 rpm vs 3600 rpm.
gas would be my last choice
I prefer diesel but propane stores best

I have a old diesel onan 12kw and I am pretty happy with it. still runs good at almost 40 years old

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
for longevity, you want one that runs at 1800 rpm vs 3600 rpm.
gas would be my last choice
I prefer diesel but propane stores best
This pretty much it in a tight nutshell. I retired from a heavy equipment engine & generator manufacture factory. That said, 1800 rpm will wear easy on the engine and natural gas/propane will not gum up or cause other idle storage problems so common with liquid fossil fuels.

Now Nat gas/propane don't have quite as much energy as liquid fossil fuels but the huge payback you get from lower servicing cost is the bonus.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
Make sure to take extra measures to secure your investments. I bought a generator and several large deep cylce batteries for the BOL and had them stolen. GRRRR. I expected that my home in the city would be broken into but not out in the country. I wish i had set up some type of camera, at least a game camera or something.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
I have a Northern Tool, 13000 watt gen powered by a Honda 20 HP.
It burns 1 gal per hour of gas.
Its a great gen, however if I had it to do again I would of gotten a diesel gen.
The only draw back to a diesel gen is they are hard tocrank in the extreme cold. I know you can use anti gel in the fuel, because thats what all my friends have done.
Go with a diesel and get way more wattage than you think you need.
Diesel also gets better fuel consumption per hour than gas, and its easier to store diesel.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,913 Posts
I would go wiht a tri/dual fuel unit if possible ,and use propane as the primary fuel source..it never goes bad, burns clean and you can get a 500 gal tank, bury it and be set for some time..

In addition, if it can burn gas, you have that option too....

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have 2 used hondas, eb,eg 3500. a lightly used honda is way better than any other kind new imo. i really want a diesel too, one will find me some day, and im looking.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Got money? Diesel, or propane, hands down. Honda, for little ones. For those on a tight budget, a used motor home Onan is a good buy. Usually needs a carb cleaning or rebuild, not rocket science, weld the sucker to a hand truck and it's portable. I did. Mine was free, not running, it needed, you guessed it, carb gaskets...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Watch out for the fake Hondas out there. One called a Black Max was out there for a while and it failed at an amazing rate. when people went to Honda to get them fixed they were told the engines come from China and are not Honda.

If you plan to use gas you better have a bunch on hand because the generators use a bunch. If you can get a unit that runs on Propane and use a Farm size tank.

If you buy a used Propane tank remember they are good for about 12 years only.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is a place in Dallas that builds custom generators. They are quite reasonable for the specs. I think they are called generator depot.
I have only seen one of there builds, but they are built like a tank.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
An RV generator is made to run 24/7. Avoid China units. Make sure you size it large enough for your needs. The inverter generators are good for electronics. For long term use you might consider a lister diesel with a DC generator to charge a battery bank along with solar and wind. You would need an inverter to convert it to AC. Like others have said, gasoline would be my last choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"For long term use you might consider a lister diesel with a DC generator to charge a battery bank along with solar and wind. "

I have heard of Lister's but can't seem to find anyone making any here in the us or that the Gov is not allowing them to be imported.
Am I missing something here ?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
"For long term use you might consider a lister diesel with a DC generator to charge a battery bank along with solar and wind. "

I have heard of Lister's but can't seem to find anyone making any here in the us or that the Gov is allowing to be imported.
Am I missing something here ?
learn now that you do not need electricity. or if you just have to have it invest in solar wind and water if you must have it.

·
Prepper for life.
720 Posts
If you can find one there are 6500kw 4 cylinder generators they are magneto and run on gas or nail polish really anything that will burn. they also double as a welder and can be easy mounted on a trailer.

Downside is there loud and a bitch to start as they dont have electric start and the other downside is there 90 years old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have actually seen Lister's in India, running on bio-gas pumping water and generating electricity. I was also shown one that had been running continuously for 5 years and burned a couple of gallons of diesel a day, this unit pumped well water and provided electricity for a village of 300 people and was made in England in the late 1800's. It was huge, 2 cylinders, 6ft tall, I'm not sure of rpm but I'd bet it wasn't more that 300 rpm

But as of 4 years ago, I was told the Gov was not allowing import of them from India or China because they are relativity dirty motor. I did find a place in the northwest that was making a kit, but you had todo final assembly.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I have actually seen Lister's in India, running on bio-gas pumping water and generating electricity. I was also shown one that had been running continuously for 5 years and burned a couple of gallons of diesel a day, this unit pumped well water and provided electricity for a village of 300 people and was made in England in the late 1800's. It was huge, 2 cylinders, 6ft tall, I'm not sure of rpm but I'd bet it wasn't more that 300 rpm

But as of 4 years ago, I was told the Gov was not allowing import of them from India or China because they are relativity dirty motor. I did find a place in the northwest that was making a kit, but you had todo final assembly.
I have heard that as well. There are a couple of listers on e-bay now. I believe there is a company in Kansas City that rebuilds them and sells them. There is still Central Maine Diesel that are on the web with the china lister clones. Maybe someone else has more information.

http://www.centralmainediesel.com/stats/PRINTABLE/09910.asp?page=K09910

1 - 20 of 31 Posts