Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are thoughts on portable generator fuel types (looking at propane/ng vs diesel) for use as limited home standby and take with if need be? LP tanks are easier to store and transport than cans of fuel which is why I am kind of leaning that way. More concerned about the efficiency.

·
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!
1,894 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I found 83 threads dealing with generators propane & diesel. Good reading. Nearly every question you can possibly come up with has been covered, sometimes dozens or even hundreds of times. A few weeks of dedicated reading will unearth an invaluable amount of information in just about any topic you can possibly come up with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found most of my info needed-thanks.
What I didn't find how ever (at least not answered very clearly) is can the tri fuel generators be run on any size lp tank( I found a great deal on 100lb and would like to be able to use the 20lb models that are readily available)? Looking at the northstar 8000watt model, maybe a 5500 watt model depending on how I can get things set up.....
I could put in a large tank but living in town it is going to be harder not to mention not as portable or easy to keep out of sight.

·
Learning
6,734 Posts
you could easily build your own from a diesel engine, just get a belt driven generator head. If you build your own you will know how everything works.

As soon as my project is finished I will post it on here for all to see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While the thought of building my own is a consideration I would prefer to have one that was built by some one with a little more knowledge in that area than my self...lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here you go: 1 Gasoline-loud,dirty and gas does not store as long without stabilizer 2 Diesel-not as loud but dirtier, and the fuel will last longer but may be harder to find 3 LPG vs. NG Generators can be set-up for either by simply changing the orifice jet. A Guardian gen.set produces 13kv on NG compared to 15kv on LPG. Both are cleaner and it does not matter what size tank you have.

·
Learning
6,734 Posts
If building one on your own sounds like too difficult of a task, hop on ebay and type in Perkins generator. With a 60 gallon fuel tank it will cost your $5000...it is a sweet set up and is easy enough to build with a little help from a welding shop.

I just know most can't afford $5000, so that is why I suggested building one. When I get mine done I'll post pictures of the step by step process.

By the way, this diesel engine will burn like a 1/4 gallon an hour or less and mine will get a 75 gallon tank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have several curiosity questions.

1) How long a time frame are you looking at to run your generator/generators?

2) If you are looking at an extended time frame (3 months or more), how do you intend to resupply with propane or NG?

My generators are gasoline. This is because I had them on hand from construction projects. My system is to keep 100-150 gallons of gasoline on hand. I keep it fresh by burning it in automobiles and replenishing the storage tank. It is a little more work, but it keeps an old man happy.

Enlighten me, I may change my set up.

·
Blessed
648 Posts
We have one of each and only used for power outages associated with weather. Both are VERY loud and would be near impossible to go stealth if you had to. also, the diesel puts out a lot of noxious omissions.

I think you would be better off to start on solar. that's my next move and since I will have to basically tell my hubby how to put it together, I've been doing a ton of research.

Suzanne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts