Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
regular
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Generator related) Pleasant surprise from the east coast

I have been considering a diesel swap into my small SUV, and a friend had suggested I also consider researching remanufactured engines directly at the Cummins websight. As I was poking around, I came across this link:

http://www.powersystems.cummins.com/generators/fuel-ny-generators.html

To prepare for future emergencies and severe weather events, New York State is implementing a 21st century fuel infrastructure protection strategy from the pipeline to the pump. As a crucial step, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo signed into law the strongest protections in the nation to ensure that critical gas stations have back-up power capacity, making it possible to avoid long lines, get to work, and restore normalcy as quickly as possible after a major storm or other disaster.

I thought that this was a (prep related) great news item, especially for an eastern state.

I have read many PAW fiction stories, and getting fuel from abandoned fuel stations is frequently a hurdle survivors must overcome in those stories.

Maybe others were already aware of this, but it was news to me.

·
statists' be statin'
3,392 Posts
The problem is that additional services cost additional money. The government has to stop doing for us what we should be doing for ourselves.

Unless...this new law requires gas stations to pay for the generators themselves. That would be even worse to require the few to support the poor planning of the many. The last two standby generators I had installed were $35K and $50K.

·
Μολών Λaβέ
764 Posts
I don't see how any business stays alive in New York with a tyrannical local government like that. Federal and state regs are bad enough without piling on more obstacles. Free market should determine if the ability for a station to sell gas during an outage is justification for a new huge operating expense.

The best solution- don't live in New York. Those who do are already victims of the machine.

·
Bazinga!
1,551 Posts
The gas stations in Fla all have generators now - I'm not sure of its madatory but I think at least for a while it was after Andrew and the triplets hit SFLA...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts