Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first post here, I hope someone can help, tho it may be a little technical.
I have this large washing machine brushless motor, which is about to become the generator on my wind turbine project.

My questions are;
1) is it best to remove the hall sensor and tie the wire ends together, or can it be used on the generator ( see photo 1 which shows Hall Sensor with cover/terminal block temoved)

2) I shall be using the existing steel rotor and std magnets for testing, however, I shall am designing a new rotor drum which will incorporate several features, such as centrifugal clutch housing and additional windvanes both of which should help with lower windspeeds as the turbine and rotor assembly are quite heavy and require a stiff gust for startup). This 3D printed plastic drum should be much lighter than the existing steel item.
I shall be replacing the weak plastic magnets with much stronger rare earth jobbers, which I am currently trying to size.
The outside dimensions of each copper (see photo 2)

coil is 28mm x 15mm, however, the cap of the iron cores are 25x13... Does the extent of the magnet over the coil effect the efficiency at all? This will effect my magnet selection significantly, as 25mm blocks are abundant and inexpensive, whereas 30mm (or ideally 28mm? ) are far less available and quite expensive especially as I need at least 36 of them (I have 36 coils but I think an additional magnet is the way to go, I need to recheck)

Any help would be great

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
Not an electrical engineer, but there are some here. I have seen some really good vids on youtube for converting the new washing machine to a generator for wind mills.

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,485 Posts
I can't imagine the hall effect sensor is really all that useful for wind turbines. You probably don't need to know the position of the rotor, or use the hall effect sensor to read the RPM. As the frequency produced will correlate to RPM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts