Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Social Deserter
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that it is important to study/observe our youth to help understand the future of our world. This can help us in many areas of life such as running a business or prepping. For those of you with Gen Z children, how have they been responding to the lockdown? What do you think they will be taking with them long after this is over—lessons or changes in mindset?

·
Psalm 23:4
2,877 Posts
A lot of stuff I've told them has now sunk in for real.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.
Having a strong independent nation is important.
Be involved in govt because you can't trust them to do the right thing.
Be aware of what's going on around you and in the world at all times.
Don't trust the media.
Fact check everything that matters.
Save for a rainy day.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
Be prepared to adapt.

I could go on....

·
Only politics *****.
5,505 Posts
That should be obvious: "i don't care about corona, it's not gonna get in the way of my party!" or something like that was the answer.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
`

They've loved it, even after the school got their distance learning set up. They had 2 weeks of no school before they got it up and running, so they weren't complaining too much about having to do schoolwork online at whatever time they want, so they can sleep in. We've had them doing some yard work & walking the dog to help keep them active too.

·
Over and Out
3,012 Posts
3 is 2, 2 is 1, 1 is.. aw, you know the rest.. :D:

..So true, especially now.. Having a Great time all being home together, tho.. And, the occasional 'boil overs' over some silly thing (someone slackin on dishes / trash-duty, etc) quickly pass, and we're back to crackin jokes / making the Dogs bark.. ;)

..Good to 'stock up' on such Good times.. before Truly bad times march in, and we ain't there, yet m'fraid..

jd

·
Registered
84 Posts
We no longer waste food. My young one sat at the table for over an hour last night to finish dinner. If he hadn't, it would have been for lunch today and he knew it. He's also eating vegies like never before as snacks have been removed. He use to refuse to eat anything that had green in it, now he's asking for salad on occasion. They eat only at meals or dessert. We implemented dessert to allow comfort food to be eaten so they could look forward to something every day, even if it was a bad day.

They understand the food situation and why we are stacking the freezers so deep we're pulling ice packs and other items out that don't need to take up room. They also understand that if the freezers run out, we switch to canned food then long-term, so they're not so keen on soup or any other canned items right now.

They're learning that fresh made bread is absolutely awesome. I'm going out of my way to try to switch stuff up even though we're having the same items again and again. I made hamburgers with extra spices in the meat the other day. It's the first time in a long time that they were so busy shoving food in their mouth that the table was quiet.

My teen had been listening to others talk at school and was pretty worried about the issues before all of this started. We educated her along the way about the food situation, if school was shut down, etc. Now she gets that everything we mentioned has come to pass. As such, she's taking anything we say about this situation very seriously now. Even last night, she got handed a package with a lesson on viruses living on the surface of items. She looked horrified to be holding a box that had just come from walmart last night. I had to explain ozone and all that jazz.

We're pushing cleanliness like no other right now. They're washing their hands all the time to the point of needing lotion. I don't really like the "wash your hands all the time" thing as getting sick helps you in life, but we're not taking chances right now. Anyone with kids is walking a fine line on turning them into germaphobes right now. Next school year is going to be horrible on their immune systems.

Distance learning helps teach them how to cope with boredom and lack of contact. My younger one has started emailing his teacher and a friend (he's in 1st grade), I hope to expand his email out to other friends later today or this weekend. My teen is annoyed at distance learning but hasn't put up much of a fight.

My teen has turned into a couch potato, often whining when we tell her to go outside. We've turned the internet off on her phone repeatedly to force the issue. We've tried to get her to reach out to her school friends but some drama happened just before all of this went down and she refuses. She's an introvert anyway, so we're not pushing too hard.

...and since my mom is on SB: Hi mom! CBJR ;)

·
Indefatigable
19,924 Posts
I don't have kids but I have a God daughter who will "graduate" HS in a few weeks and will turn 18 in a couple months. She just got a job with one of those services that walks your dog. No contact. The people aren't home, just the dogs. It's not much, but its a job and she isn't glued to the couch at home. She had been saving money to go to dog grooming school and wants to own a mobile business which should do well in the new era of social distancing. I'm proud of her.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My boys are 24 and 21. They still live at home. One works full time but is now laid off. The other works part time and was going to a local state college. I have taught them well about the ways of prepping. They are great kids. A big help around the house. I can tell that they are very bummed right now about what the future holds for them. And I feel very badly for them because of the unknown. Being children of the late 60's and 70's my wife and I got to grow up in a pretty secure world. The only real thing we were to worry about was nuclear war. But now these kids have got so much more to worry about. Our government and world leaders have sold the younger generations down the river.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I believe that it is important to study/observe our youth to help understand the future of our world. This can help us in many areas of life such as running a business or prepping. For those of you with Gen Z children, how have they been responding to the lockdown? What do you think they will be taking with them long after this is over—lessons or changes in mindset?

My stepson was (is) addicted to video games long before C19 and has been self-quarantined for years. He likely doesn't know that the world is currently in a panic. Since he's a pretty good example of America's future ... I'm glad I'm nearing my death bed. I'm going to continue trying to "survive" but if I'm hit with a giant hailstone tomorrow ... my feelings won't be hurt (although they may for a few seconds).

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
My 16, almost 17 year old son is handling it well. We've been open about preparedness with him since he was a toddler and most of what we do at home now is the same as before.

He stays in contact with several school friends and most of them have learned to cope and make do. The one thing they all seem to be happy about is the lack of PC culture that was being rammed down their throats at school. Guess the leftist teachers will have to spout their garbage elsewhere for a change :thumb:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I believe kids' behaviors and values are a direct result of how they were raised.

We have three, the youngest of which is 20 and is now home with us while the official pandemic is going on.

He feels guilty being at home instead of school, so he has made it his job to take care of the household chores while his mother (my wife) works from home in her newly created office, and I go out to my "essential job". At night, he and his friends socialize via the internet.

One thing I've observed with him is that he has the inclination to follow the stay at home order to a T, whereas I'm a bit more lax. I'm sure it has to do with me working 5-6 days a week in a supermarket.

For years I've been saying that the worst generations to deal with are the Baby Boomers and Generation X (my generation). I base this opinion on my observations and interactions with all different generations while working in supermarkets since I was a teenager.

·
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
1,237 Posts
Might be a good time to see if your kids are being indoctrinated
I would think that is a GIVEN since they are in the Publik Fools System. That and the attitude of the kids today! LICKING TOILET SEATS? COUGHING ON FOOD??

·
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
1,237 Posts
Might be a good time to see if your kids are being indoctrinated
I would think that is a GIVEN since they are in the Publik Fools System. That and the attitude of the kids today! LICKING TOILET SEATS? COUGHING ON FOOD??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts