Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I'm currently prospecting affordable rifles (sub $1000) and after reading an abundance of gun websites and forums I get the impression that the AK-47 is regarded as the best general purpose/survival rifle. I've fired, cleaned, and had some overall good experiences with a Yugoslavian M70AB2T, which I think is a great gun. However, I'd like to know if there is anything out there that's similar to an AK in function (always fires, hits hard, nearly immortal) but is more accurate and more appropriate for hunting/long range target acquisition?

Also, I've seen a few Century WASR-10's around here and they are going for like $480-$500. Would you say those high prices are a result of the upcoming election? Let's just say those prices actually are due to Obama, would you pay $480 for a Century WASR, $700-$900 for an AR (there are a bunch around here), or buy something completely different?

Let me know what y'all think, thanks.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you have up to $1000 to spend then buy a gun like the Ak for half that and spend the rest on ammo and survival kits for the weapon. Spare gas rod, hammer, springs, pins. What part of the country do you live in? Are you limited to 10 round mags due the state you live in? One thing with an AK is check the barrel site. Be sure it is set to dead center. If it is set off to the side a lot you have a bad barrel. The AK is usually dead on up to 300 meters.

ALways buy extra ammo and spare parts. BUy at least 6 to 12 mags. they are cheap.

Best wishes.

·
Urban Mountain Man
1,159 Posts
Nod

Nod to the AK. Nothing not to like about them.
WASRS have a thin finish, but should be about $400-- Aimsurplus
usually has them. Mags at $10 each are abundant.

·
Registered
317 Posts

might be a little more accurate farther out as it shoots 7.62x54r instead of 7.62x39

***props to bigdog for telling me to look at this gun this morning***

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
depending on where you are at, i would say pump 12 gauge buy used no paper work,for around 200 dollars, remington 870,mossberg 500/590 etc. and the rest on bulk ordered ammo/and a reloading set-up. jmho

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
One of my son's has a veper.
It is heavy, but absolutley the most accurate 7.62x39 AK style rifle I've ever shot.
Pricey.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
Why not mount a scope on your AK? There are a variety of side mount assemblies that will let you mount all sorts of scopes on top of an AK. That would increase the accuracy of the AK without going to something else. A decent 4 X or 4 magnification scope will take care of the majority of your shooting needs from zero to about 300 meters with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions and tips, guys. Does anyone know of a website where I can order extra parts, scopes, and other utilities for AK-type rifles? I've found a few websites that have some of that stuff but none that seem to specialize in AKs.

Also, if I were to mount a scope on an AK which series/brand should I go with? I'm fairly new to these rifles so I'm not really keen on modifying them or anything.

EDIT: has anyone ever done business with this site before? - http://www.parts4ak47.com/

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
Marlin 336 .30-30 works like a charm. If you handload, one can make this type of rifle sizzle. Using cast lead you can take nearly any game in North America, or if you use factory loads, its a great medium game (CXP2) cartridge and was the first "assault rifle" made.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
That is nectar of the Gods. PSL is what it queries. It runs about 825 by the time you pay the transfer fees but you can get a can of 440 corrosive rounds for $79. Its so sweeet a deal I can't comment more than its a full grown AK.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...with-4x-scope-/cPath/209_214/products_id/2392

Do the research and if you don't mind breaking it down and doing the windex its probably the one your after.

Its in my list with the RPKs as soon as I have a solid justification.

I think the AES10B and the M72 Yugo deserve the same thought. They can be scoped as well.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That is nectar of the Gods. PSL is what it queries. It runs about 825 by the time you pay the transfer fees but you can get a can of 440 corrosive rounds for $79. Its so sweeet a deal I can't comment more than its a full grown AK.

Do the research and if you don't mind breaking it down and doing the windex its probably the one your after.

I recently bought a Mosin-Nagant, and I like the ammo. It seems like it is the best value in ammo, apart from 22lr. Cheaper than 7.62x39, which doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe it is because 7.62x39 is much more popular.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...with-4x-scope-/cPath/209_214/products_id/2392

I think the AES10B and the M72 Yugo deserve the same thought. They can be scoped as well.
Transfer fees? What is that about?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

might be a little more accurate farther out as it shoots 7.62x54r instead of 7.62x39

***props to bigdog for telling me to look at this gun this morning***
I'm taking over this thread, sorry. But that is just one good looking gun. The fact that it takes 7.62x54 makes it nearly irresistible.

I have been saving money for financial investments, but the way things are going, I think I have found the best "investment" for my money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts