Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying another Glock before the year is up and have narrowed it down to two choices, the Glock 34 in 9mm or the Glock 35 in .40S&W. I have owned a few 9mm Glocks over the years and currently compete with a g19. I know I want the competition model, but have also been toying with the idea with getting a multi-caliber Glock (ie: buying a Glock in .40 and getting a 9mm conversion barrel for it). My primary round for handguns is 9mm and I would not start stocking .40 anywhere near what I do with 9. The purpose of buying a G35 would be to have the capability to shoot .40 if I ever needed to (ammo scarcity).

I have never liked shooting .40 caliber and, based on the reviews I've read, it seems the best upgrade to the Glock gen 4 line up is the new recoil spring that helps absorb the snappiness of .40 cal rounds. The problem I have is that I live in California and cannot buy a Gen 4 Glock.

So, is it worth getting the Glock 35 just to have the capability to shoot .40? Or should I just stick with the G34 in 9mm?

I have plenty of handguns chambered in other calibers by the way, but out of the top 3 semi-auto calibers (9, 40, and 45), I only have 9mm.

I was also weighing getting a Glock in 45 and converting to 10mm with a new slide assembly, but I am leaning towards a competition Glock since I do compete regularly.

Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I have shifted to getting 40's (mainly 27's and 23's) and converting them to 9, and leaving them as such.

40 can shift, but 9mm is stuck as 9mm.

Why NOT!?!

·
In Peace as in War
682 Posts
While I have moved away from .40 S&W during the past few years (to 9mm & .45 ACP), .40 ammo (and .300 Winchester Magnum) stayed on the shelves for a long time after all the other ammo was gone (in my corner of the world anyway).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I guess my biggest hurdle is whether to get the G35 Gen 3 which may have the same snappy recoil I hated in the G22, or wait to go .40 conversion when I move out of Cali eventually and stick with 9mm in the Gen 3 Glocks.

·
Learning
6,733 Posts
While I have moved away from .40 S&W during the past few years (to 9mm & .45 ACP), .40 ammo (and .300 Winchester Magnum) stayed on the shelves for a long time after all the other ammo was gone (in my corner of the world anyway).
I think it is good to have at least 1 gun in .40 for this very purpose.

·
Learning
6,733 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess my biggest hurdle is whether to get the G35 Gen 3 which may have the same snappy recoil I hated in the G22, or wait to go .40 conversion when I move out of Cali eventually and stick with 9mm in the Gen 3 Glocks.
I have Glock 34 with a Leupold Deltapoint on it...when I shot this gun from 7 yards there was 1 ragged hole. Save the money you'd spend on a 9mm barrel (if you bought the 35) and get an optic.

Seriously, I've never shot a non-.22LR pistol that good. Plus, it is teaching me trigger control like never before.

But, I couldn't stop...I also have a Glock 17L comin...it has an even longer barrel than the 34!

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I wish it were possible. The new spring won't fit in the Gen 3 slide. It's too big.
You won't notice the difference between Gen 3 and Gen 4 in actual performance of their RSAs, anyway. I am pretty familiar with Glock's and the feel of their slides cycling, and if I were blind-folded I wouldn't be able to differentiate between the two. :thumb:

Reactions: Vintovka1891
1 - 10 of 10 Posts