Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a video with Joel Salatin, last night, and he mentioned something about using geese for "areal predator protection". Has anyone tried this? Does it really stop hawks from killing chickens?

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Sounds possible since they are large enough to fight them. I also know they can get meaner than hell and pinch the hell out of you when they bite. I'd like to see it first though because owls, hawks, etc have sharp beaks and talons. I would think they are still outmatched...

Can you link the video?

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
My experience is that they help... some. Not a guarantee. They're great for protection from weasels, though. Ain't no damned weasel going to get your geese (or the critters living with the geese). Geese will sometimes give the chickens a hard time though, especially the little ones.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I don't have any geese right now. The chicken yard has strips of chainlink fence about five feet up, across the top (kind of a partial ceiling, if you will) with grape vines growing on it. Gives them shade and a place to duck under if they see predator birds. Not so great to keep out raccoons, though. I've not lost a bird to hawks in a long time but the dogs are busy with the ***** after the grapes AND the chickens.

Roosters are good at sighting hawks and giving the alarm to hide. Hens, not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I was watching a video with Joel Salatin, last night, and he mentioned something about using geese for "areal predator protection". Has anyone tried this? Does it really stop hawks from killing chickens?
Short answer: No.
Our birds free range every day through a pretty large area. The chickens are all over the place, some in groups, some off by themselves. The geese stick together and are definitely noisy, but we still lose an occasional chicken (maybe 1 or 2 in the year) to a hungry enough hawk or fox, though usually it is later in the fall.

InMichigan

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Since I've had Geese I've had very few problems with the animals. Two years ago I sold my adult geese and almost immediately I had a **** problem. I've got adult geese again and no **** problem.

As for a hawk... I could see them helping if you had quite a few geese and an area that they are not all spread out in.

Geese will also deter foxes. Not possums.... this winter I had a very young one living in the coop off and on for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts