Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Storyteller
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The object of this review -
Font Wing Nipper Bicycle part Aviation

The length of the Dime is the same as the Gerber LST folding pocketknife for reference.

Price varies wildly based on vendor - shopping around could save you up to $10 or so.

The scales anodized Al and are bolted on, no rivets found here. Color of the scales is your option I picked Red/Black only because red/red was not an option.

The pliers are functional, but small -as you would expect in this small a tool. The wire cutters work well. The pliers would work well to drive a large sawing needle thought webbing or multiple layers of cloth/back material.
Scissors are just the thing for your FAK for cutting moleskin, bandages or other miscellany.
The screwdrivers are functional, and I've yet to find the tweezers.

Cons
The bottle opener is an odd duck. I've no doubt it would work, should one become stranded in the Lone Star State and be desperate to open a long neck...otherwise, the opener sticks out like a sore thumb and will, IMO, make a hole in your pocket sooner rather than later. The tool does have a conventional lanyard ring, so the opener is a mystery.

The tool does have two blades - and they both arrive very dull. Gerber usually does a much better job - so this was a surprise. No big, just plan on a longish session with your stone.

I would have rather seen the 'package opening knife blade' replaced with a far more useful can opener.

Still, I didn't return the thing as I am planning on using it with my QRP carry bag for those odd times a small tool is called for. The wire cutters are just the thing for trimming up an antenna, for example. It will sit in the bag and not my pocket.

I'm Not going to recommend this simply because of the lack of a can opener and horribly awkward bottle opener. You get to pick for you....

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
For me, the deal killer with multi tools was when they pinch the crap out of my palm when using the pliers. Maybe it's just my goofy hands, I don't know. Eventually I found the Gerber Diesel. It seems that it's first mission was to eliminate that pinch when the plier jaws slip off their intended target. It's a full sized multi tool and has all of the usual excellent Gerber components.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
That “bottle opener” was the main reason mine isn’t on my key chain. It’s a rotten design.
but the worst design is the bottle opener on the Gerber Splice.

I haven’t used a keychain tool can opener in years. I have the real ones in the glove box, in the bags, in the cooking gear, in the fishing vest, or on a full size multi tool, one of which is almost always within a few feet of me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The object of this review -
View attachment 458794
The length of the Dime is the same as the Gerber LST folding pocketknife for reference.

Price varies wildly based on vendor - shopping around could save you up to $10 or so.

The scales anodized Al and are bolted on, no rivets found here. Color of the scales is your option I picked Red/Black only because red/red was not an option.

The pliers are functional, but small -as you would expect in this small a tool. The wire cutters work well. The pliers would work well to drive a large sawing needle thought webbing or multiple layers of cloth/back material.
Scissors are just the thing for your FAK for cutting moleskin, bandages or other miscellany.
The screwdrivers are functional, and I've yet to find the tweezers.

Cons
The bottle opener is an odd duck. I've no doubt it would work, should one become stranded in the Lone Star State and be desperate to open a long neck...otherwise, the opener sticks out like a sore thumb and will, IMO, make a hole in your pocket sooner rather than later. The tool does have a conventional lanyard ring, so the opener is a mystery.

The tool does have two blades - and they both arrive very dull. Gerber usually does a much better job - so this was a surprise. No big, just plan on a longish session with your stone.

I would have rather seen the 'package opening knife blade' replaced with a far more useful can opener.

Still, I didn't return the thing as I am planning on using it with my QRP carry bag for those odd times a small tool is called for. The wire cutters are just the thing for trimming up an antenna, for example. It will sit in the bag and not my pocket.

I'm Not going to recommend this simply because of the lack of a can opener and horribly awkward bottle opener. You get to pick for you....
So DKR what are you claiming on this dull bladed, pocket puncturing, missing tweezer, tool thing ?
On a 1 > 10 score.
My score by description is a 5er.
Knowing Gerber's weight problem for lower end products aside from blades, I'd guess down to a 4 score.

In hand would make or break it, especially after crushing spark plug tips with the pliers and wire cutting attempts on power lines. :)

What say you ?!

Just went to SpAmazon to see.
Damn thing is a twig !
So small it's good for Santas slaves... maybe.
After original Leatherman I broke, got "new" replacement and Ebayed it.
I went to Swiss Spirit by Victorinox and another I can not remember in BoB.
That little Gerber Dragonfly Dimer... 1 day at camp survival or roadside repair... of radiator hose.

·
Storyteller
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So DKR what are you claiming on this dull bladed, pocket puncturing, missing tweezer, tool thing ?
On a 1 > 10 score.
Knowing Gerber's weight problem for lower end products aside from blades, I'd guess down to a 4 score.

In hand would make or break it, especially after crushing spark plug tips with the pliers and wire cutting attempts on power lines. :)

What say you ?!

Damn thing is a twig !
That little Gerber Dragonfly Dimer... 1 day at camp survival or roadside repair... of radiator hose.
I’m fly with it for what I wanted.

l just won’t recommend the thing. As I noted, you pick for you.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have the dime on my keychain. Normally I carry my Wave plus or Skeletool so don’t normally need or use the dime, but it has come in handy for a couple of small tasks. Not a must have but nice to have as a last resort.

1,630 Posts
I have a dime, bought because I had to leave my higher level Gerber at home before leaving for my current globe-trotting for Uncle Sam. It’s a long story… moving on!

I like it for what I use it for, which is a knife to open boxes, a box cutter for picking sand from under my nails, and pliers for picking up tiny things.

For that, it works perfectly. For serious work, I don’t know how well I’d trust it. My other Gerber is much more stout, and I use the hell out of it.

And the tweezers are in the base, next to the bottle opener.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
On a 1 > 10 score.

What say you ?!

Damn thing is a twig !
Dude….it’s a keychain multi tool, not a full size unit. It’s for those little jobs, or those times when the big boys aren’t worth getting out. When I wear running shorts, the keychain tool is in my pocket, while the full size units are too large and heavy.
Like ALL multi tools….it’s not the right tool, not the best tool….but it’s the tool you can easily have available that can do a large variety of jobs at some basic level of adequacy.

Camp survival? Duh. If you are batoning your multi tool, you’re an idiot. Roadside repair? Again…if you don’t have better tools in the vehicle, you are a failure.

But if you just need to scrape some corrosion and tighten a screw….it will do that. Cut a zip tie? Covered. Open a clamshell package in the Walmart parking lot? GTG.

There is no one size fits all solution. Using the wrong tool is a reflection on the intelligence of the operator, not the usefulness of the tool.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dude….it’s a keychain multi tool, not a full size unit. It’s for those little jobs, or those times when the big boys aren’t worth getting out. When I wear running shorts, the keychain tool is in my pocket, while the full size units are too large and heavy.
Like ALL multi tools….it’s not the right tool, not the best tool….but it’s the tool you can easily have available that can do a large variety of jobs at some basic level of adequacy.

Camp survival? Duh. If you are batoning your multi tool, you’re an idiot. Roadside repair? Again…if you don’t have better tools in the vehicle, you are a failure.

But if you just need to scrape some corrosion and tighten a screw….it will do that. Cut a zip tie? Covered. Open a clamshell package in the Walmart parking lot? GTG.

There is no one size fits all solution. Using the wrong tool is a reflection on the intelligence of the operator, not the usefulness of the tool.
Humorously declaring something is relatively useless, especially so when size is not stated in review, then learned.
Is said; humor.
Buying a keychain fingernail cleaner/nose hair puller with intent beyond building a tweezer castle, is foolhardy.
I used to carry my leathermen original inside my dry suit all season Aug - March in N. Atlantic.
If worse came to worse, I would be able to unzip suit and have a somewhat viable tool.
The Dime... NOPE.

You are correct about using proper tool is ones best interest.
Vehicle has full toolbox, boat did too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
For me, the deal killer with multi tools was when they pinch the crap out of my palm when using the pliers. Maybe it's just my goofy hands, I don't know. Eventually I found the Gerber Diesel. It seems that it's first mission was to eliminate that pinch when the plier jaws slip off their intended target. It's a full sized multi tool and has all of the usual excellent Gerber components.
BINGO! Having a bloody red line across my palm because of slippage is the reason my Gerber multitool was thrown in the "last resort" tool bin, never to be used again. I replaced it with a Leatherman multitool. The Leatherman plier handles do not come close to one another when the plier jaws are fully closed.

·
Registered
17,334 Posts
BINGO! Having a bloody red line across my palm because of slippage is the reason my Gerber multitool was thrown in the "last resort" tool bin, never to be used again. I replaced it with a Leatherman multitool. The Leatherman plier handles do not come close to one another when the plier jaws are fully closed.
Nor do the Gerbers after the first generation, which was like, 20 years ago? Maybe more?
One hand opening pliers? Win.
I carry a Leatherman Free P2 because of the one handed knife, but I really miss the ability to open the pliers with one hand.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
60,842 Posts
Looks decent enough and has most of the essentials. These days, most multi-tools on the market are likely good enough to do what we want them to do. My daily carries are the Gerber Truss and the Victorinox Work Champ. Together, I have an entire tool box (virtually):

Insect Arthropod Triangle Font Art

Leg Automotive lighting Gesture Automotive design Art

1,630 Posts
I have a dime, bought because I had to leave my higher level Gerber at home before leaving for my current globe-trotting for Uncle Sam. It’s a long story… moving on!

I like it for what I use it for, which is a knife to open boxes, a box cutter for picking sand from under my nails, and pliers for picking up tiny things.

For that, it works perfectly. For serious work, I don’t know how well I’d trust it. My other Gerber is much more stout, and I use the hell out of it.

And the tweezers are in the base, next to the bottle opener.
Minor recant on this post. My daily carry is actually a SOG. This guy right here.

I got it for $15 out the door at Cabela’s on sale plus rewards points (I spend way too much money at this place). I got it as a beater for using at work, the “poop knife,” as we call it in the septic world. I’ve used it for a lot of things that it wasn’t designed for: prying manhole covers, removing 7/16” bolts when my drill dies, popping aluminum rivets on portapotties, and even cutting air hose on a semi truck for a roadside brake repair. Not to mention cutting wads of tampons that clog my hose while pumping a tank, and cutting roots, pvc, and silicone caulk.

It’s not always the right tool for the job, but it’s the tool I have when the job comes up.

·
Comm Monkey
793 Posts
I've got one of the Gerber dimes in an altoid tin in the pouch attached to my esse-5 along with a small fire starter kit and some fishing line. I've used it a few times for very light work but I wouldn't expect it to survive heavy usage. After sharping the blade it's fine for making tender out of the punk wood I also have in the pouch. I wouldn't actually use the wire cutters for anything but the smaller pliers are not bad for pulling out splinters or working out that stupid fish hook I managed to stab myself with. I always carry a full sized multi-tool (or two if I'm on my motorcycle vs hiking).

For my radio bag I have a SOG powerlock that I replaced the knife blade with the wire strippers and got rid of the saw and put in a spacer. the only blade I left was the belt cutter and that's in case I need to cut some cord after hanging my wire antenna in a tree. About the only thing I would change on the SOG is make the wire cutter blades replaceable.

·
Storyteller
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The SOG cross grip has been my mini Multitool of choice - until now
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Font Blade

As you can see, the blades are quite thin and the screwdrivers functional, but...

Hence my purchase of the DIME. Both are (nearly) the same size overall

The blades of the DIME are much beefier

1 - 19 of 19 Posts