Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Electric says 2019 will be a challenging year. Hopefully the CEO can turn things around and put GE back on a right track.

So, with GE stock selling for around $10 - $11 a share (March 14, 2019), is this a good deal?

I currently have 20 shares of GE stock, and plan on buying more. I "know" its "just" 20 shares, but you have to start somewhere.

Who else is buying GE stock, or is GE a pass?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,719 Posts
Companies are either on the rise or the decline.

GE has been fumbling badly of late and selling off divisions. Must be democrats running it now. Almost reminds me of CB&I, who had to be acquired by McDermott last year.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
General Electric says 2019 will be a challenging year. Hopefully the CEO can turn things around and put GE back on a right track.

So, with GE stock selling for around $10 - $11 a share (March 14, 2019), is this a good deal?
Look at the GE chart for the last three years, GE has steadily declined from $30 to $10. If now, the CEO says that 2019 is going to be a "challenging" year then we could conclude that he is expecting more of a decline.

Buying stock is different than shopping for a sale item in a store. Generally, it is better to buy stock when it shows strength than when it shows weakness. GE has been looking weak for 3 years losing 2/3 of its value.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
We had to get a new dehumidifier since our old Kenmore (30+ years old) finally died. I went to Home Depot and got a GE. Made in China (obviously). I would have been happy to buy one made in the US, but where can I get one?

The scary part is that GE also does alot with nuclear power also. Makes sense I suppose. Globalism, China, Big Boxes, nuclear.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
We had to get a new dehumidifier since our old Kenmore (30+ years old) finally died. I went to Home Depot and got a GE. Made in China (obviously). I would have been happy to buy one made in the US, but where can I get one?

The scary part is that GE also does alot with nuclear power also. Makes sense I suppose. Globalism, China, Big Boxes, nuclear.
GE sold their home appliance line to the chicoms 3yr ago (to Haier) PASS

·
Keep It Simple, Stupid
916 Posts
First step in acquiring stock is to understand the company. Frankly, I don't understand GE, at least not anymore. I don't know what the mission is, I don't know where it's going, and I have no idea what it's going to look like in 5 years. It seems like they're fumbling around in the dark, pushing and pulling different levers at random and hoping it's suddenly going to click.

If you can't understand a business, you have no business owning its stock.

·
Registered
8,157 Posts
GE has core structural problems. Not any particular bad news.

I generally stay away from anything to do with airlines, but boeing would potentially be a good buy as their issue from the 737 max is a one time issue, but they took a 20% correction.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Doesn't have much farther to fall, as it hit $6. I think it will be touch and go to see how the restructuring goes. Not good as a short term as this year they are burning a lot of funds, couple billion, to finish up restructuring.

If you look at Blackberry's rebranding and focus change, it is now doing better than it was at its low.

I'd be wondering what GE plans on doing after the restructuring. 2.5 billion is a lot to spend to stop loosing money. Moving forward though if their new core is their profit producing segments it should be healthy, its just a question of what gangrenous parts they are chopping off to save the rest of the body.

Aviation, Power and Renewable Energy units will form a new core of the company

25 Billion is a lot of debt to work off. I'm curious to see where they are at once the restricting is done. Right now it seems buy ins will be to leverage gains on a turn around. Buffet generally does the whole market cap vs asset calculation and see if the company stock is actually worth what it is selling at.

It would be a risk hedge as the market is volatile and GE is not healthy... but lots of potential.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ditch your current position and buy Puts if you you really need to be in the market. Other than that the game is rigged and the small retail investor always gets laid out. Don't listen to your broker's "Let's average down" recommendation. As with most companies they set up shop offshore and sell garbage.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
im not sure of what the appeal is to you to purchase GE. there are a lot of other companies to be had cheaply with more upside potential. i.e. i bought bank of america at 15.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts