Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres' bombing range nearby and we can hear ( and feel) practice bombs going off and minigun fire. I was just wondering how they manage to fire at that fast a rate? How do they get the bullets in there so fast? How many barrels fires at once? How do those guns work?

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
six barrels each with its own bolt. electric driven .ive seen them fire at knob creek ky gun shoot they do twice a yr. in a min theres a pile of brass under them 18 inches high.

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
They only fire one barrell at a time. Its all about the motor, feedin and extractin.

What range do you live near, I feel the drops in Ocala, but never heard any minigun.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it's an airforce bombing range it's probably not a GE minigun, but more likely a vulcan cannon, or something similar. they all are based on the same principles.

In a Minigun, the working are actually electrically powered. All the bullets are fire, none of the gases from the rounds going off are harnessed to do any work, other than send a bullet down the bore.

That's why if you watch the first predator movie, when Jessie Ventura is hosing down the jungle with lead and runs out of ammo, the barrel keeps turning until he finally lets off the trigger. There is a car battery in the backpack that powers the gun.

As for them shooting that fast.. They are electrically powered, fine tuned machines.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They only fire one barrell at a time. Its all about the motor, feedin and extractin.

What range do you live near, I feel the drops in Ocala, but never heard any minigun.
I'm just East of Pensacola, surrounded by AF and Navy. I get to watch touch and go's all day. These folks are training day and night.

Ok, After much research, I found out they're a multi barrelled , close bolted, power driven weapon, complete with several 8X10s with circles and arrows and paragraph in the back explaining each one. I understand that as one barrel is firing several others are being ejected, rejected, detected, see-lected, loaded and goaded at such a high rate, it makes the fastest machine gun look like a single shot plinker.

My question is, how do they get the bullets in and out and lined up and feeding at that high rate with such perfection?

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's an airforce bombing range it's probably not a GE minigun, but more likely a vulcan cannon, or something similar. they all are based on the same principles.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQz2N7QqvZ8&NR=1

Thanks, that's what I needed to see( a pic is worth a thousand words). Notice how the bolts rotate, like the M-1. Still, to line all those rounds up to feed like that with that perfection is quite a feat.
Yes, it must be Vulcans, 'cause I can feel it in the ground.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The guns were made by G.E. during Vietnam . Now there made by Dillion . 6 barrels and a elec. motor .
I read that General Dynamics picked up the contract, but they could sub out. Newer systems are hydraulic or pneumatic or pneudraulic driven/operated. They started out with a link/belt system , but found that a linkless system was faster and more compact( and more reliable, I'd guess). Also , instead of firing pins , they switched to electrical charges.

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
There was a news release from embedded reporters during the Iraq war and during the talking head's report someone opened up with one of those guns. I was on a weapons forum and everyone wanted to know what the "Brontosaurus farting" was. Just one time I'd like to fire one. Unfortunately, the only place one could fire them and not risk hurting any innocent people is Washington, D.C.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The gun used in the Preditor movie as fired by Jesse Ventura was a mod. Aero 134. When the gun was out of ammo it cont to turn(spin) due to elec. motor . It later sold for $150,000 .

·
The pale horse cometh
101 Posts
There was a news release from embedded reporters during the Iraq war and during the talking head's report someone opened up with one of those guns. I was on a weapons forum and everyone wanted to know what the "Brontosaurus farting" was. Just one time I'd like to fire one. Unfortunately, the only place one could fire them and not risk hurting any innocent people is Washington, D.C.
It's funny cause it's true!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
One in 5 rounds is a tracer, not 50. The belts they use are standard linked ammo.

ROF is fixed at 3k a minute. The way they are able to feed rounds that quickly is because the belt is feed into the feeder/de-linker and then into the gun. They have to be timed properly in order to work.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,277 Posts
My question is, how do they get the bullets in and out and lined up and feeding at that high rate with such perfection?
When you consider how many barrels there are, it's not such a high rate per barrel. Also, since everything is done mechanically, by camming action, instead of gas pressure, reliability is increased. What I always wonder about is the speed that the ammo belt is manipulated. That's impressive.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts