Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase one for Christmas, however at the site that I am going to buy from, the GATCO is sold out. I can wait, but the other items are getting closer and closer to being sold out as well, and more orders = higher price due to shipping.

So, what are the advatages of a GATCO over a Lansky, if any and vice versa?

Gatco Edgemate Pro
And the Deluxe Lansky Sharpening system.

Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have a Lansky system, the one with 5 stones. I like it for small knives but I end up using a wet stone and steel more often that the system. I do like it when I want to reprofile an edge degree. This does take alot of time though but very acurate of course with the guide. Over all it was a good purchase.

-Easy to use
-sets up quick
-guide works very well and accurate

I do not have any knowledge of the GATCO.

Here is mine:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the gatco pro system with 5 stones. I get a lot of use out of mine and I really like it. I got mine for $22 on post at the sports shop. I use the stones dry and when I am done with the sharpening session, I rinse and scrub the stones with water. I would say 85% of knives out there can be sharpened with a system like this. Some knives just have too many curves for the system to work (mostly kerambits or small recurve blades) and very small knives will not work because the stone will hit the edge of clamp rather than the edge.
Although I have never tried the lansky system, Everything I have heard about the two systems is good. Quality and performance seems to be about the same between the two. The only advantage I could see with the gatco would be that the stones do not clamp into the guide rod, resulting in more consist angles. If you want the gatco but it is out of stock, lots of places sell them so be sure to shop around. I have also seen both the gatco and lansky systems in several stores around ft bragg. Good Luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
i dunno i dont recall what the gatco system is but ive always heard good things about lansky i myself have neither... i ue an oilstone and a diamond rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts