Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, just curious as to what all of you are planning on for gasoline during an evac type situation. As we all know, the gas stations will be hot targets as seen during katrina. Is anyone here caching petrol, oil, any other automotive products?

Semper Fi

Matt

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I use 16 gallon drums to store fuel in. Either get it early, or dont get it at all.

I know people are are using fuel stabilizers on their gasoline, and storing 30 - 55 gallons, but I do not have room of that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My car is diesel, and gets up to 700 miles per tank. So my strategy is this. Store 15 gallons, plus never let my tank get below half, and I'd have enough fuel to make it completely out of the region.

I store about the equal amount of gas if we were to stay in the area, to be able to use the SUV for small errands that might require it.

I don't stabilize the fuel, with my small amounts, I just rotate it twice a year.

Fuel storage is a tuffy in an urban home. I'd love to have 500 gallons. :xeye:

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I have enough range to make it to the BOL on half a tank in my always full truck, I also keep a siphon pump and a full 15 gal portable tank in the truck at all times. Once at the BOL I really don't need fuel, but its nice to have for the 4wheelers and the chain saws :) so I keep another full 15 gallon tank there as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all good ideas so far! the siphon pump is something that stays in my x all the time. I think I'm going to have to invest in a 50 gallon storage tank. Have any of you considered applying for red diesel for you BOL, providing you have the required acreage?

·
Ham Extra Class
3,268 Posts
Heres my storage system. It has Stabil in it and I use a pressure cap that only lets pressure out at plus or minus 3 LBS.
Its an old home heating oil tank, I cleaned it out on the inside with a hot pressure washer and dried it out for a week or two and I have a filter system on it. It also has a ground strap connected to a grounding rod 3 foot deep, too help get rid of static electrcity.
Its located under a lean to shed away from the house for safety.

·
Political Watchdog
268 Posts
So, your a looter? Swelll..
Well in my defense...if you knew my neighbors...you would probably be in favor of looting :thumb: These are not the types of people we would want to keep around in a disaster situation.

P.S. I am also in favor of fuel storage with stabilizer. These stupid people around here try to throw out UNWANTED GAS CANS (against the rules and a dumb idea) so my garbage man collects them and drops them off at my garage door. I currently have 8 2.5 gallon and 12 5 gallon cans that I use to buy gas as cheaply as possible and rotate out into my cars! All for free!!! :D:

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,552 Posts
I've got an old pickup used for little except the occasional hauling. It has a 20-gallon gas tank which I keep full, and I treat the gas with Pri-G.

I also have 20-30 gallons in gas cans, plus of course whatever is in our vehicles. But in my case, I doubt I'll be bugging out. That gas, then, is earmarked for my generator.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a used diesel 350 (7.3) with a 38 gallon tank with a 78 gallon auxiliary tank in the bed.

That leaves me with an ~2,500 mile range with small to no load. A 15,000 pound load cuts my distance in half.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.