Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have purchased 20 five gallon metal jerry cans, I want to store them in a detached garage that has no heat or air. In the summer it gets over 100 in the garage, the cans will not be in sunlight. I plan to put some gas stabilizer in each can, my hope is to rotate in about 3-4 years.

Pressure will build in each can when the garage get's hot in the summer, should this be a concern? Do I need to relieve the pressure on each can? Would like to know your thoughts.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
I don't know if I would wait 3-4 years to rotate your gas, most say (1) year is pushing it. I have a bunch of 5 gallon tanks and rotate them out every 6 Months

·
MortarMaggot
3,496 Posts
I have a couple 15 gallon barrels I fill up, put a double dose of sta-bil in, then use it gradually over the next year mostly in mowers, weed-eaters, chain-saw, and go-karts, and for cleaning parts. I've had some of it that I have used after a year, it looked awful but when I poured it in the go-kart, it ran and is still running, but I really wouldn't dare try it after 2 years unless I was DESPERATE! If you are storing it somewhere it gets hot, you should probably make a point to check on the hottest & sunniest days, make sure the cans aren't starting to bulge/expand.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It has been discussed a lot, recently here. Get some Pri-G. With a good container and stabilizer you can can easily store gas for a year or more.

UPS just delivered three of these today. I haven't filled them yet, but I'm very impressed with the quality and plan on ordering more.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Pressure will build in each can when the garage get's hot in the summer, should this be a concern? Do I need to relieve the pressure on each can? .
Leave the caps loose so the cans can vent fumes.

Make sure there is not an ignition source anywhere near the cans.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have purchased 20 five gallon metal jerry cans, I want to store them in a detached garage that has no heat or air. In the summer it gets over 100 in the garage, the cans will not be in sunlight. I plan to put some gas stabilizer in each can, my hope is to rotate in about 3-4 years.

Pressure will build in each can when the garage get's hot in the summer, should this be a concern? Do I need to relieve the pressure on each can? Would like to know your thoughts.
1. Try and refuel early in the morning, the fuel will be cooler, so less pressure.

2. When opening the can, do it as slowly as possible and ensure that you're standing behind it - I'd say to wear goggles, but thats your call (Petrol and diesel in the eyes does sting like a *&^@)

3. I'd rotate within 6 months, 12 months at the outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.