Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of folks in my area are replacing their oil furnaces and as a result there are several 275 gallon tanks for sale cheap. Is it possible to use these for long term gas storage? Do they need to be cleaned and if so, how?

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
yes it can be done with an old heating oil tank....

my neighbour just cleaned his out best as he could with the pressure washer the pressure washer.....drained the water.......he poured a wack load ....maybe 10 liters of Methyl Hydrate ( I think, I can check) we roled the tank around ( not easy but doable) and drained...... today he had a fuel truck come a top it off with high test gas... he picked up a hand pump that looks like an old style water hand pump from a well ( if that make sense)

I have two heating oil tanks but both are filled with heating oil....one outside and one inside the basement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Life can get very ugly, very fast, when the state fire marshall and the epa catch you storing gasoline or other fuels in certain areas. The fines are enormous and no allowance will be made for you to rectify the situation. They will order it done and contract out the work to remove it. You will receive the bill. Failure to pay immediately or make arrangements to their satisfaction can result in the seizure of your property. Any spillage or leakage from the tank only worsens the situation. Lastly but not least, do you want to risk your life and family's life and neighbors lives by having such a large amount of explosive material nearby?? Thankyou for allowing me to post.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just fuel your vehicles from your storage source to keep it fresh and use an inline filter to keep the crap out of the vehicles tank. Then have it topped off when things look to be getting worse or prices start to rise again, or when it gets 1/2 empty.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Life can get very ugly, very fast, when the state fire marshall and the epa catch you storing gasoline or other fuels in certain areas. The fines are enormous and no allowance will be made for you to rectify the situation. They will order it done and contract out the work to remove it. You will receive the bill. Failure to pay immediately or make arrangements to their satisfaction can result in the seizure of your property. Any spillage or leakage from the tank only worsens the situation. Lastly but not least, do you want to risk your life and family's life and neighbors lives by having such a large amount of explosive material nearby?? Thankyou for allowing me to post.
Wouldnt' the person/company who filled the tank have said something? Seems to me if it were illegal (and I have no idea if it is or not...what the requirements for storage are, etc.) and if the consequences are as bad as you indicate in your post, those filling the tank would have declined to do it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
On our family farm there are a bunch of these tanks. Some hold diesel while a couple of others hold gas. A couple of them have been there since at least the 50's.
Clean 'em and they'll be fine. Rotate the gas as mentioned above.

·
SKS gunner
193 Posts
Another thing that you have to think about when storing alot of gas is where the vapors from the tanks are going. from what i have heard if you don't have the containers vented eventually the vapors will build pressure in the container and explode. and if you do have them vented it cant be in an area where the vapors can hang around and collect like under a shed or in a garage. the vapors from gas are WAY more explosive than the liquid it self.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
A farmer friend had an above ground gas tank,and the vapors would drift to a below ground water pump pit,about 4 foot deep. he couldn't figure out why the cement top to the pit kept shifting off the pit. Kept going a foot or so off the side. He finally figured out the vapor collected in the pit,and when the water pump switch closed to operate the pump,a small spark was created,and ignited the air/fuel mix,which in turn lifted the slab and moved it off center.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts