Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the four most important things in my opinion for long term urban survival. The gas for generator, tractor, truck and atv. The food and water for people and pets. The basics like hygiene and personal items. Does anyone have any other items they have stocked for urban survival.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
These are the four most important things in my opinion for long term urban survival. The gas for generator, tractor, truck and atv. The food and water for people and pets. The basics like hygiene and personal items. Does anyone have any other items they have stocked for urban survival.
Number 1 that you forgot - Ammo and guns.

Also, you didn't include medical supplies.

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
I would disagree with Gas. It is going to go fast, you cant store enough to make it more than a few days and you have to think safe storage. If its a 1-5 days with out power thats one thing but long term i do not see it as a option. I would go with LED light and battery stock piles first, dyno crank radios and light and forget all your modern devices (computer, frige, AC/Heater). Worrying about motors that use gas is also a waste as stated above. Get a good boat that can be paddled (10'-14' alum, canoe, kayak) they will work and never need fuel. Bikes are also a good option and a horse or two ($300 for a horse around here, nothing fancey just somehting to go from a-b)

Food and water in my parts should come easy, atleast for a while. Stock up on fishing gear, worms are easy to find. Ammo and firearms as well. Dont get some off the wall caliber as ammo could become and issue. 22lr rifles are $100-$180 depending on brand and 550rounds cost $16 so i would say go this option first. You can kill deer, hog, rabbit, squirel, dove, duck, goose ANYTHING with a 22lr. then a good shotgun i would go pump and get a few 100 rounds of 2 diff amo types #2-#4 and buck shot. Good for food and defence. A good pistol could come in handy as well but this means tying up more money in ammo and firearms that could be better used else were.

Set aside one weekend a month or a day a month to go over your survival skills. Fire making, shelter building, trapping, first aide. Make sure you can do the basics. go in the woods for a weekend with nothing but a tarp and a flash light and see how comfortable you are with the surroundings. you will be surprised what you think up needing to learn and can live without.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
hrpardner: ShoNuff is right. You must practice your skills. Teach your family these skills too. It's important that anyone of them is able to pick up and go on successfully.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would disagree with Gas. It is going to go fast, you cant store enough to make it more than a few days and you have to think safe storage. If its a 1-5 days with out power thats one thing but long term i do not see it as a option. I would go with LED light and battery stock piles first, dyno crank radios and light and forget all your modern devices (computer, frige, AC/Heater). Worrying about motors that use gas is also a waste as stated above. Get a good boat that can be paddled (10'-14' alum, canoe, kayak) they will work and never need fuel. Bikes are also a good option and a horse or two ($300 for a horse around here, nothing fancey just somehting to go from a-b)

Food and water in my parts should come easy, atleast for a while. Stock up on fishing gear, worms are easy to find. Ammo and firearms as well. Dont get some off the wall caliber as ammo could become and issue. 22lr rifles are $100-$180 depending on brand and 550rounds cost $16 so i would say go this option first. You can kill deer, hog, rabbit, squirel, dove, duck, goose ANYTHING with a 22lr. then a good shotgun i would go pump and get a few 100 rounds of 2 diff amo types #2-#4 and buck shot. Good for food and defence. A good pistol could come in handy as well but this means tying up more money in ammo and firearms that could be better used else were.

Set aside one weekend a month or a day a month to go over your survival skills. Fire making, shelter building, trapping, first aide. Make sure you can do the basics. go in the woods for a weekend with nothing but a tarp and a flash light and see how comfortable you are with the surroundings. you will be surprised what you think up needing to learn and can live without.
I agree, but he did say urban survival, so horses and boats are probably out of the question.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
No gas???

I would disagree with Gas. It is going to go fast, you cant store enough to make it more than a few days and you have to think safe storage.
I suppose that depends on where you are going to be. My 4x4 gets 19 mpg, my trail bike gets around 70 mpg...I can go a LONG ways with 7-800 gallons tucked away. I'll also need it for my genny's, chainsaws, portable welder, forklift, etc.

NO WAY will I not have plenty of gas...especially at these prices! And, gas stays viable for quite some (low compression engines) time despite the rhetoric. Yes, a stabilizer is a benefit without a doubt...but I just cracked open a 55 gallon drum stored before Y2K (forgot it was there as it was for my parents place) and it was STILL good! Maybe not so good for a car/truck, but fine for smaller engines.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
WATER, WATER, WATER
water storage containers
Plain clorox
FOOD (only the kind you will eat) & as much as you can afford
at least one cast iron pan/pot for high cooking temps. in case you must build a fire
matches/lighters
small charcoal grill & extra coals & fluid (if you at least have a patio)
at least one gun & 500 rounds (or more!) ammo
rechargeable batteries (all sizes)
solar recharger
crank/solar radio
outdoor solar lights (wall-e world $30, charge during day, use lights inside at night)
oil lamps & plenty of fuel
nuwick candles (you can use these to cook!)
all types of clothing (summer/winter)
good sleeping bag, plenty of warm blankets for winter use
seeds & window growing pots (grow your own food)
all types of MEDICAL SUPPLIES
bacterial wipes (to wash with to save on water use)
toilet paper
trash bags, paper plates, plastic cutlery
if you have animals, plan for them as well
if you have kids = checkers, cards, jacks, board games (and if you have recharge batteries, use them for hand held video games)

I'm sure there's more. But I'm too lazy to get up and scope out what I have.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
If you can, think natural gas or propane gas. If you live in a house in an urban area, your emergency generator should operate off of natural gas. If you live in a rural area, your emergency generator should work off of propane. About the only time you should use an emergency generator that runs off of gasoline is when you are camping or live in an apartment and then I would make sure that it was chained to a railing or something and had a very quiet muffle system on it. And, yes, you will need firearms and ammo for those really bad social events that suddenly pop up. You should also practice with your choice of firearms, a lot, to become proficient in their use, function and design limitations.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Do you have a generator hooked up to natural gas?

We talked about this last summer, and I heard that they are very expensive.

·
Registered
377 Posts
How do you store enough gas safely in the city? Because I live on a farm I buy my gas and diesel 1000 to 4000 gallons at a time, keeping the above ground tanks full. If there was suddenly no way I could ever get more it would be saved mainly for some of the farm work and chainsawing. I don't think it would last long though. In an urban setting can a person have bulk gasoline storage facilities? I don't know enough about living in the city to know but in the closest town LP tanks are all I ever see.

Gas should be stored for natural disasters or even another 9/11. Enough to get through until the pumps are up and running again.

Water storage is good but I would see if you could get a tour of your town's water processing plant. Sometimes they have open houses at them. See where your water comes from and how to get more if you suddenly can't get it out of the faucet. Stored water will only last until it is gone, know where it will come from after that.

Keeping clean is so important, but it is often thought about too much. Farm kids that play with germy things tend to have stronger immune systems and get sick less than people who are not exposed to all those germs. This has made many people's bodies weaker and weaker and left us more dependent on antibiotics. Yes, keep yourself clean, wash you hands after you go to the bathroom or if you're sick or if you're around sick people, but also let your body relearn how to protect itself. Eating foods that are good for you, getting enough rest, drinking plenty of fluids like juice and water when you are sick will let your body's natural immune system kick back in. Don't put hand sanitizer on every hour. It only works about three times before you have to wash your hands with plain soap and water anyway. In fact there is a new germ that isn't affected by hand sanitizer but can be killed with just plain soap and water. Don't get sick and reach for the alcohol based medicines, don't pop pills so you can get back to work.

Food storage, again same thing as water. Start buying local and support local agriculture (this is a self serving statement on my part). Storing is fine but once it's gone, then what? Know where you can get more.

blt

·
Da BADDEST MoFo!!
518 Posts
Urban survival would make it hard to hid 700+ gallons of fuel. even in the country you have to worry about sparks/flame, keeping it far enough as not to have the fumes hard you yet close enough to get in a pinch. your looking at atleast 13 55gal drums of fuel and thats gonna be hard to hide. Im sorry, but i still think more then a few days storage of fuel (up to a weeks worth) is a waste of time and space. I know guys here that have 100-200 gallon tanks they carry in tehre trucks and during the hurricanes they got syphn'd off some had there entire tank stolen.
Also you need oil and parts to keep a genny in working order and that adds more to what you have to buy/store up front. Personally I say focus more away from needing fuel as your base.
You should look into solar lamps/lantern, dyno crank lamps, flashlights, and radios. Get a good one with a 2way radio just in case. Afew axes and gloves can replace a chainsaw in a pinch. Although i keep 10gallons rotated bi-monthly for my chainsaw it will break and you dont want it being your only option. Solar panels are getting cheaper monthly and you can get enough panels for one room worth of lights and water for fairly cheap. The government will help cover the cost of going "green" in some places. Wind turbines are also getting cheaper about $400 for a complete setup. Run the turbine with the panels to your battery stock and you can get power even at night.
As far as ATV and Trucks go for fuel i will be honest, around hurricane season i make sure i have 1-55gallon drum full of fuel. I also have a motor cycle that gets 50-60MPG that i carry in the truck and teh drum sit near the front wheel. I havnt had to use it yet as fuel durring the last hurricane came back within 2 days. Wish i was as well planned for Rita.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts