Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignorant newbie question... If I'm supposed to keep gasoline on hand in case we need to get out of dodge, where/how do I store it? :eek:: I know you can get those gasoline canisters at auto stores and walmart, but can you just put those in your trunk to take with you when you BO? Is that safe? I've seen special "car safe" containers online, but they're $$$ (at least for me right now) and it would take a while to get them. I really feel a pressing need to keep some extra on hand JIK. What do I need to do?

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
I have several 5 gallon gas cans that I store gas in. It all goes in a large, locking "deck box" that we keep AWAY from the house. If you are actually "bugging out", you can put the gas cans in the back of your car or truck. (If in a car, put it in the trunk, NOT the passenger compartment, or you will be smelling fumes.) Besides the car and truck, we use the gas for gassing up the motorcycles, lawn tractor, snow thrower, generator, etc., so we keep it rotated pretty well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I share newberrie's sentiments on the gas storage; for those of us living in the city, is there a safe way to store extra gas in the apartment? I've bought one of those red gas containers, and some sta-bil, but I'm still not certain if that's safe to keep in one's home. Any info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
and dosent gas lose its potency?

I would hate to see a mushroom cloud and then realize my gasoline dosent work lol

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I wouldn't keep gasoline in my home unless it was in a steel airtight container. Remember that gasoline fumes light up faster and easier than actual liquid. The red plastic containers have a cap but is not airtight by anymeans.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
gas does expire i keep about 10 gals of gas and 40 of deisle on hand at any given time and use them on tracter mower ect so it alwayse is fresh if your going to put in your trunk place it so as it wont knock over and spill as long as there upright there fine

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
i got one of the newer 5 gallon ones at ace with a safty cap .i save my thompson waterseal cans and fill them. and use stabil . the rest of mine are used regularly

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
just secure it in the trunk find a cardboard box the right size if it dosnt have a cargo net with tie downs

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
I give the can to my wife and make her walk all the way home :)

Reactions: East Coast Woods

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
I would not store it inside your home or apartment under any circumstance. Don't store it in any occupied structure, or any structure attached to occupied structures.

If you have no separate, unoccupied storage the best practice would be to keep your vehicles fuel tank topped off at all times.

On my truck I treat 3/4 of a tank as time to stop and fill up. If I drive into the city I fuel up when I get there, and fuel up again when I get back home. Might seem like a hassle but whats worse, making a habit out of stopping for 5 minutes to fuel up more often or having a 1/4 tank of gas when the SHTF?

I also have several 20 liter (5 gallon) Scepter MFC Jerry Cans I use to store Gasoline. It gets rotated out during the warmer months just from the mower, motorcycle and 4 wheeler use. In the winter I make a point to use the stored fuel in my truck and refill the cans as needed.

These cans can be strapped into the bed of a truck, or trunk of a car easily with anything from bungie cords, wratcheting straps or the brackets and straps specifically designed for military Jerry type cans.

Some other nice features of these modern Jerry Cans... they burn but do not explode like steel cans, they are lighter than the old steel cans, they don't dent or rust and their is no paint to get scraped up, they are also subdued colors like OD green or Tan so they can be cached quickly if needed and don't stick out like a big red "they have fuel" sign in a SHTF scenario.

Mine were slightly used, fully functional mil surplus. I have tried to find new manufacture ones but they are military purchase only... because of some lame CARB restrictions and EPA regulations. I did find the spill stop spouts and neoprene gaskets, new.. pretty commonly available.

Dont have a picture of mine handy and its cold as hell outside tonight but here is a pic I grabbed off of BQ's website.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't keep gasoline in my home unless it was in a steel airtight container. Remember that gasoline fumes light up faster and easier than actual liquid. The red plastic containers have a cap but is not airtight by anymeans.
Not airtight sir.

Gas cans are vented, and must be because gas expands and contracts suring temperature changes. If the can isn't vented, it will be crushed in cold weather or will burst in warm.

Buy a can that is designed for fuel (like in the picture above.) I wouldn't store one in my vehicle.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I share newberrie's sentiments on the gas storage; for those of us living in the city, is there a safe way to store extra gas in the apartment? I've bought one of those red gas containers, and some sta-bil, but I'm still not certain if that's safe to keep in one's home. Any info is much appreciated.
Don't forget the Stabil so it'll keep about a year or so total.

You have to rotate it often or it'll turn to varnish and gum up and not burn anyway.

·
Banned
376 Posts
I would worry about having it in your trunk, you are riding on top of a 20 gallon (+/-) tank anyways. Move out of the city, and apartment is the worst place to be in a SHTF.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Not airtight sir.

Gas cans are vented, and must be because gas expands and contracts suring temperature changes. If the can isn't vented, it will be crushed in cold weather or will burst in warm.

Buy a can that is designed for fuel (like in the picture above.) I wouldn't store one in my vehicle.
Ahh very true!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts