Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of parting out a n old chevy blazer .One of the parts I am keeping is the gas tank ( and it was a REAL pain to remove !! ).Now the fun part ,I also have a chevy truck and I am going to try hanging the blazer tank in the space where the spare tire hangs on the truck.That looks pretty simple I may have to fab a bracket or 2 .Then you look at the mess of hoses coming out of the top of the tank and I wonder if I can ever get it plumbed in right ?? I am wondering would I be better shape to try to plumb it into whats there or just mount the tank and put a 12 volt pump on it and use it to fill the original tank (or anything else ??) Anyone done anything like this suggestions,ideas ,reasons why it won't work ????

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,618 Posts
It can work if the width of the tank will fit between the frame rails. Expect to have to build and weld new bracketry. If the old tank is plastic, you might want to consider a skid plate as well.

I installed a 45 gal metal tank from a gas powered Ramcharger under my Diesel powered Dodge ram pickup 20 yrs ago. Just be sure you know what the plumbing does and test it before you drive.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The width is right and some of the holes are even right .All the hanging hard ware is in good shape so I don't think thats going to be too bad.But back to the plumbing,the more I think about it the more I like the idea of having a seperate 12 volt pump with a fill hose so you could top off the existing tank or what ever else.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also its a metal tank with no rust and being a blazer it had a heck of a skid plate already .This will add 38 gals to the stock 20.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's a common mod to ditch the saddles and go to a blazer tank. The saddles are in the 'fodder' area on a chevy, and tend to get taken out by rocks, stumps, etc.

If you want to plumb it with a pump, go ahead. You could also plumb it in without one by getting a second tank selector valve, and tee it in upstream of the factory selector. Then you have one to select between sucking from a saddle or the blazer tank, and another to select which saddle. You could even make the fuel gauge read correctly. The mess of hoses coming out of the tank should be really straight forward, being one pickup, one return, and a vent on some models.

If you want to use a pump to transfer fuel, a pump/sender for an EFI blazer should go right in.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a CUCV pickup it only has a drivers side 20 gal tank ,one of the reasons I want to add an xtra This tank is out of a 79 so it had the fuel pump on the side of the motor.The mess of lines wasn't a big thing after I looked at it . I will take px as this project progresses.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The selector switch costs some bucks. You can buy an aftermarket 12 volt pump a lot cheaper. I did this on a 73 chevy truck. I just would pump from one tank to the other. Came in handy when out on the road and the only place to get gas was too high.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wonder about covering the tank with spray undercoating ???

POR-15 would be a better product. Rubberized undercoat is the devil. But, either would work. I shy away from using rubberized undercoat on the frame or body as it is a pain to remove later if repairs need to be made to the area.

And the selector valves are near free at the junkyard... You could also score another saddle tank if you're into that. Actually, they're pretty cheap new as well.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not familar with POR-15 ?? I am going to hit the junk yard and see what I can find .I cut the gas filler door out of thr blazer and will cut a hole so I can fill the tank normally.Unless I can come up with a deal on the selector switch I will go with hanging it with a aux pump and let it go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
POR-15 is just a very heavy duty paint that can be applied to rusted metals. It's good to have around.

http://www.por15.com/

They also have a variety of other products; such as coatings for the inside of gas tanks for the ultimate protection against rusting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts