Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the safest way to store gasoline?

I read about a family who was stockpiling it last summer when gas prices were at like $5.00/gal, and blew up their home.

What about propane? I have about five tanks already for my grill. All I need to do is get them filled up, but I have a family and it would break my heart if we all blew up.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I read about a family who was stockpiling it last summer when gas prices were at like $5.00/gal, and blew up their home.

What about propane? I have about five tanks already for my grill. All I need to do is get them filled up, but I have a family and it would break my heart if we all blew up.
The safest way is in ground tanks away from any building, underground services and water sources :D:

If at all possible higher than where you will need it so that you can you gravity feed. Cuts out the need for pumps or power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I was thinking little red gas tanks with an open window; maybe I'll just go without the gas. I plan on storing the propane tanks outside away from the above mentioned, though.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts

It would break all of you if you blew up. :taped::taped::D:

It's ok to store small amounts in gas canisters as long as there is some ventilation and it doesn't get overly hot. The new gas canisters have a self-venting feature to help prevent accidents.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Whatever you do dont be folled by crappy gas cans and make sure that they (the nozzles) will work when you need them. Test them out before you really need them. I found out today while rotating gas out of a can that I always carry with me in the truck, that the replacement nozzle I got for it from PEP BOYS does not seal all the way around the opening while trying to pour gas into the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Anywhere but the Dwelling you and your loved ones occupy. Shed or shop away form this is best. If you need more ideas ask the local fire department for help.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Jerry cans are the most practical way for the average person. Sealed from air / moisture ingress, very sturdy and of a practical size (20 ltr)

I have 8 filled with petrol that I rotate by using the oldest to fill my car and one more with diesel which should be just enough to run a Hiab truck for long enough to pick up my 20ft container and move it a short distance if need be :D:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Some low life scumbad stole my gas can right out of the back of my truck this morning. I know it serves me right for leaving it there but cmon now. Whats wrong with people these days. Nevermind dont answer that.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
How about a scrapyard auto gas tank? I have never heard of a parked car suddenly blowing up. I have two seldomly used vehicles that have full tanks. Parked. You could probably buy a junker car that won't move, but that has a running engine. Park it, use it for storage, use it to keep batteries charged and to store gasoline. A 4 cyl. 1.6 - 2.5 litre car at idle can provide power, heat, fuel storage, at a low price. 14-16 gallon tank, heated shelter for 4 people, 12 volts dc at 50-80 amps.. and inexpensive.

·
Yes, I am an *******
364 Posts
5-gal. plain ol plastic gas can that I use for gas for the mower, planning on getting 5 or 6 of them in the near future to keep handy.

·
Living To Ride
2,030 Posts
We have two 300 gallon propane tanks and a few 20 gallon RV tanks they will not blow up, even if we shot them. You may want to consider a propane conversion for your gas engine. I have a spare 350 set up for propane to drop into our truck in case gas becomes unavailable.

An aside gas congeals and goes bad. Propane doesn't

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Some low life scumbad stole my gas can right out of the back of my truck this morning. I know it serves me right for leaving it there but cmon now. Whats wrong with people these days. Nevermind dont answer that.
I had mine full of water that person got a suprize ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
lets not forget STA-BLE for keeping the gas fresh too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts