Survivalist Forum banner

Gas storage on a property with house, no detached buildings

6K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  cranky1950 
#1 ·
I would like to store about 25 gallons of gas some place where I can rotate it every so often, but I really don't want to store it in my garage because it is attached. I don't want my house to burn down and don't know of any way to safely store it. I have steel cans, and was trying to think of way to bury it without much cost, and yet still have easy access to it.

Any out of the box ideas for storage would be very helpful.

#6 ·
I have 100 gallons in 20 plastic cans. It's my generator supply. I kept them lined up about fifteen feet from my generator in a shady spot and covered in a tarp. Now, since I'm moving onto a much smaller parcel, I'm going down to keeping four cans on hard, and will be keeping them outside next to my fence. If you are concerned about security, run a chain through the handles.

My cans are numbered, 1-20, but the numbers are only a reference. When I emptied a can, I put it next to my driveway, when I had four to fill, I'd drag em to town, and then put the new tanks at the back of the line. About once every other month, I have to move the tanks down a bit, but it's not big deal. If I get behind, usually summer when gas gets expensive, it gets dumped in my truck.

#7 ·
You could allways buy fuel tank used in a newer car that has a sealed system and run the vent line outside to vent it. That way you would not have fumes getting inside the house. Just remember you need to fill the tank outside and 25 gals weigh around 200 lbs to move. I have a 19 gal plastic container rated for petrolium products and it is a bear to move around and empty but it is in my garage outside. I have a 100 gallon semi trunk tank I keep full but use my tractor to put it in and out of my truck when I fill it at the gas station. Mark

#13 ·
If your house sets on fire, it's going to take longer for the gasonline in a metal car tank to finally set on fire compared to a plastic tank that will melt/burn and spread gas all over the floor. It's just more of a hazard for firemen and that are all of a sudden running away from a stream of fire coming there way.

At least this is my thinking. Don't know for sure.

#11 ·
I store 60 gallons of gas in 5 gallon cans. I dug a shallow pit, laid a couple of 2X4 pressure treated boards in the bottom and put the cans in the pit sitting on the boards. I use a sheet of pressure treated plywood to cover the pit. I throw some leaves and branches over the pit and it's concealed. We rotate the gas out in the spring and treat the fresh gas with Stabil.

#16 ·
Newer cars have plastic tanks so that point in kind of mute. Also older cars normally have some sort of charcoal filter system for excess fumes. Newer vehicles have closed non-vented system that detect pressure (positive or negative) and vent it into the intake through a valve, that's how some newer cars know when you've left the gas cap off. If I were you I would buy plastic 5 gallen jerry cans from spectre and put them in an outside garbage shed (one of those plastic put together yourself deals). Then put the shed away from your house. If It has to be inside there is nothing safe short of a fireproof, blastproof specialty container designed for such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.