Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a couple of articles saying that there will be gas shortages. This is due to a lack of drivers because of covid, they say the drivers went to work for someone else or didn't get trained. Any thoughts on this ?

My truck camper has a 20 gallon tank and I may roam a few hundred miles up to Maine from the Boston area. My truck may get 16 mpg, not sure exactly but I am wondering if I should buy more gas cans so I can carry am extra 10 to 15 gallons

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,324 Posts
I believe there will shortages of about everything. I suspect it has more to do about profit, control, and deliberate bad economics than anything. To that end I would prep for shortages and inflation. The article talks about it but note how much things have already gone up.

Get Ready For The Most Painful Inflation Since The Jimmy Carter Years Of The 1970s

I can’t guess how many fuel cans is the right amount for anyone beyond the the suggestion to have some extra gas. You will get some posts about safety, security and the need to rotate the gas - all good stuff.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Like 20-25% of tanker trucks parked. Plenty of gas but distributing it a problem. Gas likely available but at higher price.

·
Retired and luvin it!
1,013 Posts
Those of us around from the oil embargo era will remember the long lines of odd/even plate days. If you didn't have a car but needed gas for law mowers, etc your gas came out of the family car or truck (no gas cans allowed in our part of PA)

These days keep enough treated ethanol-free gas on hand for at least one fill up per vehicle and extra at our remote place to run the generator, atvs, saws and enough for a round-trip if needed.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I saw a couple of articles saying that there will be gas shortages. This is due to a lack of drivers because of covid, they say the drivers went to work for someone else or didn't get trained. Any thoughts on this ?

My truck camper has a 20 gallon tank and I may roam a few hundred miles up to Maine from the Boston area. My truck may get 16 mpg, not sure exactly but I am wondering if I should buy more gas cans so I can carry am extra 10 to 15 gallons
Lol Boston to Maine... ever try to do that on a friday afternoon or backwards on sunday?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

I think you should absolutely buy gas cans and carry them with you on trips, gas shortage or not.

My van gets about 16 mpg on the highway and can go about 540 miles on a tank. Any trip more than 200 miles from home I carry 5 to 10 gallons of fuel with. If I never let the tank get below half and have the gas cans as well that gives me a 400 mile cushion of fuel to get me home or to an open gas station, or one with fuel or allows me to idle the engine all night to keep warm.

It is also a nice cushion when exploring on rough twisty roads and end up only getting 5 mpg but planned on 16.

Also if large numbers are evacuating on the same route many will be running out of fuel in the first tank of fuel and the nearby gas stations may run out. If you carry extra fuel you can get farther than the rest and have a better chance of getting fuel before the stations run out because the bulk of the people haven't made it that far yet.

·
What would Mal do
4,812 Posts
yep...when we do our road trips, travel trailer, I always toss 2x5gal cans of diesel in the bed of the truck and a 5gal can of non-ethanol for the genny.
a lot of our adventures take us far off the interstate and finding a gas station that provides diesel AND has room for me to actually pull up to the pump, has left us a bit worried at times...peace of mind knowing I've got reserve in the truck bed.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
7,827 Posts
Once a month I have been buying a 5 gal can,19.95 and adding 4 1/2 gals w treatments..toal now almost 40 bucks...when i started it was about 28.00...This month I started w quality 5/6 gal buckets w snap lids..I fill them to the rings around the top,poke a small pinhole in the lid fore xpansion and treat..total cost.now,less than 20...gas is gas and Ill use those first...Im doing 1 a week now

Reactions: Hammer 1

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Ha~! Around 1972 (??) I was commuting 30 miles each way; my car got about 20mpg;
gas lines were long; I was getting divorced; nasty custody fight. I could work as late as I wanted
in the evening (software development) but the boss still thought I should show up by 7:30am.

But it all worked out! I won the custody fight. The software worked. And I never ran out of gas!
Got a raise. Plenty girlfriends. Steak every day...

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Was that when gas went from 32 cents a gallon to over a buck? You could buy a house in California for $30,000.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I don't see a shortage of drivers in this area of Georgia. I buy my gasoline and off road diesel at a commercial distribution center located about 2 miles from my home. Individuals and business owners can open accounts there and they give you a digital key for the pumps which are unattended and open 24/7. They also sell racing gasoline, ethanol free or with ethanol in 5 gallon cans. Prices are continuing to rise and I don't see that going away anytime soon though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I doubt there will be shortages..... just higher costs
People still aren’t traveling as much.
Of course there will be higher prices. They lost billions due to covid. Biden is also putting major restrictions on new drilling. The ultimate effect of pushing green energy is skyrocking prices. The switchover is going to be long and painful. There are no chips for green energy, EV vehicles, and no infrastructure.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Biden plan for electric cars is silly , it can’t work with out a new type of battery that we don’t have ?
they are making most electric power with diesel ‘ gas genarators .
We are burning fuel one way or the other . Silly

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Gas shortage? Very poss.
As stated earlier, probably everything else also.

Manipulated shortage, I can actually see that. Being pushed into a situation of extreme prices as part of this stupid 'reset" is going to massively backfire. The world leaders playing this game I dont think understand what they are doing or its ramifications. but cest la vie. Stupid people do stupid things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts