Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For two days now I have been seeing news reports about a fuel shortage in Tennessee, Georgia and other areas around the Gulf states.

Shortages to the extent that around Atlanta, GA, over 70% of the gas stations have no fuel. In areas where there is gas, the cost is pushing $5.00 per gallon and there are lines for gas and rationing that are reminiscent of the 1970s energy crisis.

Is anyone experiencing this first hand? The talking heads on TV say it is because of recent hurricanes and fuel not being delivered.

Has anyone heard of the long term speculation about this? How far will it reach? How long will it continue?

With this in mind, does anyone know where I can get some 10 gallon "jerry-style" gas cans? The biggest I can find is five gallon cans (which are always sold out).

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
I know that some of the refineries in southeast texas were shut down before hurricane Ike hit, and some have not started production back up. Some refineries are saying its going to be weeks before they can start production again.

This was reported on the morning news today, but I could not find anything on their website - http://www.kfdm.com

·
Registered
401 Posts
In my corner of the midwest, gas prices are currently falling. They jumped $0.30 due to Ike and our slowly heading back down over this past week.

Having said that, I think we can expect gas to climb in October, given that the September oil futures were lower per barrel than what they have been thus far for October. I'm no expert, just my two cents from listening to the news.

Check out these Jerry Cans and accessories:

http://www.landroverparts.us/landroverparts/NATOjerryCans.html?gclid=CNPavaWS8pUCFQikHgodgzWoeA

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,307 Posts
In Memphis gas went up to $3.99 pre Ike, now gas is down to $3.55, I have seen some stations around town that were out of all gas but most seem to have at least reg. unleaded. It is getting very rare to see premium unleaded though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I live in Atlanta and the reports are absolutely true.

Just yesterday I waited in line about 30 minutes to get gas. The gas station ran out in a few hours from the time it received the shipment. One guy pulling into the gas station actually ran out of gas right as he was pulling in and had to be pushed into line. I have seen more cars than usual ont he side of the road....new cars....out of gas I can only assume.

It is bad down here. As for the cause...it has something to do with a pipeline that feeds the southeast. Don't know much more than that. What is funny (or sad) is that just about everyone that was filling up, was also filling up gas cans...which only make the situation worse. There have even been cops called to fights at some of the gas stations.

Fortunately I already had my gas cans full, but was just taking an opportunity to full up my tank since I was half way.

My neighbor's car is in his driveway out of gas. He has been taking the commuter bus to work.

This is just gas...imagine when food gets short!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Highlander, I can check with our guy who is an army surplus dealer. He got shut off from city of dallas with their ban on Jerry Cans without the cut off on the nozzle. Might also check with Cheaper than dirt in Fort Worth. the only thing about the 10 gallon can is it is going to weigh over a 100 pounds when fullof gas. Are you thinking about high mounting to gravity feeding.

SOmething you may also want to consider is drums in various size. you can get in 20, 30 and 55 gallons. WOuld require some lifting device like used in warehouse to put up chemicals. Drums are cheap when bought used.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gas is flowing here in Bartlett,TN outside of Memphis. Quick question here. How would one go about bury say 50 gallons of gas and keep it safe from contaminates, water.... Nothing big, just a small supply at cooler temp.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Highlander, I can check with our guy who is an army surplus dealer. He got shut off from city of dallas with their ban on Jerry Cans without the cut off on the nozzle. Might also check with Cheaper than dirt in Fort Worth. the only thing about the 10 gallon can is it is going to weigh over a 100 pounds when fullof gas. Are you thinking about high mounting to gravity feeding.

SOmething you may also want to consider is drums in various size. you can get in 20, 30 and 55 gallons. WOuld require some lifting device like used in warehouse to put up chemicals. Drums are cheap when bought used.
Thanks. I am limited on storage space (average house/yard) and just want to keep the number of cans I have on hand limited.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In Memphis gas went up to $3.99 pre Ike, now gas is down to $3.55, I have seen some stations around town that were out of all gas but most seem to have at least reg. unleaded. It is getting very rare to see premium unleaded though.
I have noticed the lack of premium fuel. Fueled up the vehicles on Sunday at a Walmart stations--they only had regular (87 octane). I found that interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I live in Southern Tennessee and work in North Alabama, and about every gas station that I see on the way home is out of gas. The only stations that seem to have gas are the ones that are rationing people to 10 gallons on a visit, and they are the ones that are charging $4.09 a gallon for gas.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
I'm about 30 east of Atlanta and running dry out here too. I watched the prices go from 3.94 up to 4.09 from the time I went into Inlgels and back home :eek:
I don't get it, I understand supply and demand but, if Oil falls below $100 the prices rise???? And getting into fall/winter, they should be starting to ship out the fuel for winter, which is cheaper to make because they don't have to put in the "cleaner" fuel for the summer smog crap.
I am surprised it hasn't effected the food supply, you have to have gas for the trucks....maybe diesel fuel isn't being hit as hard?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm about 30 east of Atlanta and running dry out here too. I watched the prices go from 3.94 up to 4.09 from the time I went into Inlgels and back home :eek:
I don't get it, I understand supply and demand but, if Oil falls below $100 the prices rise???? And getting into fall/winter, they should be starting to ship out the fuel for winter, which is cheaper to make because they don't have to put in the "cleaner" fuel for the summer smog crap.
I am surprised it hasn't effected the food supply, you have to have gas for the trucks....maybe diesel fuel isn't being hit as hard?
It will affect the food supply and everything else. As soon as the grocers have to order and ship items. It is just too soon. You will feel it in rising prices as well as the selection/quantitiy of items available. Just has not been enough time for it to take affect.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Yes here in N.C. there are some stations only allowing $10-$15 dollars. Premium and super. are out all over town. Charollett is almost out all over. Just like the one from ATL. Lines almost a block long. Its insane. The gauging has stopped due to the state stepping in were now around $4.00-$4.50.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
get this one, campers. In a sector of NW Houston, they still have no power up there, so the local Mariott is contracting out with a fuel company for private deliveries of diesel to power 2 industrial strength CAT generators. Because of the rash of gas robberies, a kind of ad-hoc fuel depot has developed in the back of the parking lot, with a 300 gallon tank, a maintenance truck with 3 55 gallon drums and a pump, the 2 generators, and one of our officers- with a body armor and shotgun recommendation.

This hotel has close to two dozen police staying there from San Antonio, Dallas, and Fort Worth as help to local LEOs, and they STILL have people casing the place...

Reactions: Highlander

·
Registered
5 Posts
How safe is it to store gas? Do most folks just use those plastic gas cans you can buy at walmart? Where do you store them? Garage? Use any additives?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I keep mine hidden in the truck under some blankets. I also keep that space in messy shape. I want people to think I'm just a slob- not that I have gas and survival goods back there. If people think you have crap in the back, they'll leave it alone.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Middle Georgia, Warer Robins area, gas is a problem. Stations have been out, off and on for the past few days. Prices vary from 3.80 to 4.20 (average) and can change several times a day.

Actually forgot about this issue, hope I can get gas tomorrow morning.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I just started working at one of the refineries in Port Arthur Texas, affected by Hurricane Ike. It's basically shut down. Everything is on generator power. One of the company men said without grid power, there is not enough electricity to heat the crude oil for the cracking unit to make gasoline. All we are shipping is gasoline already refined and blended, and it's being rationed to the distributors. They hope to be up to full production in two weeks. Gas up and don't drive anymore than necessary, no matter where you live. This could get worse, before it gets better.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
70% of the stations in Nashville were out of gas this weekend. Idiots were running into each other trying to get to the pumps. I live 40 miles south of Nashville and the gas hit $4.21 at one place but most were $3.99 to $4.15. The $3.99 gallon stores had lines for at least a block. Now there are several out of gas but should have gas tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts