Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a 3M 6200 half-face respirator and for some reason when I breathe in or out slightly the one-way filters sound like somebody is blowing rasberries. Is the mask defective? Would it be safe?

I'm new to respirators, sorry. I wish I had more detail to give.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I could see if it was only one way, but both in and out?
I had a dust mask that wheezed when blowing out.
I would be calling customer service pronto.
Or at least check their web site for FAQs.

·
CHARGE 7 White bag!
307 Posts
Is it loud or subdued sounding?

I'm not familiar with the 3M masks but can you see / remove the valves?

If you can dust them with a very fine talcum powder and reinstall...sounds like moisture may have got to them and they are partially sticking.

Common problem on the Israeli and US M17 masks

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
you can get this effect by finding the right pressure to exhale on any mask.

Its simply the valve rapidly opening and closing- its doing it's job, and not an issue :)
it does mean that there is the possibility that small amounts of outside air may make its way in during the flapping, but its unlikely- and it sounds like you have to put effort in to get the mask to do this?
What are you intending to use your half mask for? Just general use or in some preparedness capacity?
both my 3M half masks i use around the farm do this- i'm not concerned as generally i breathe normally.

Higher quality masks have tighter tolerances and may be harder to achieve the effect.
my high quality Scott full respirator does this also if i get the air flow on exhalation juuuusssst right, don't worry about it.
hope this alleviates your concerns :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Technically... Gass mask is kind of old name for full face respirator. (Yeah even here, we still use term gass mask in the military.)
There is half face and full face respirators in market.
And even if you get best Gass mask/Respirator what is in market, There is some Chemical weapons what will come through very fast... Or melt whole mask very fast... (We talk max about 10 minutes...)

Even half face respirator have it own place and usages... But surely if there is chemical weapons around, you will want much more than mask to protect yourself. (Full face mask is your number 1 safety equipment ofcourse, but if you worry about chemical attack, you should have whole suit... (Yeah it can melt fast too, but it is better than nothing.))

And ofcourse you want knowledge what to do in chase of chemical attack... :thumb:

·
Registered
79 Posts
It could just be that there is some sort of flap that makes that sound if you breath through it too hard.
The Soviet GP4 does the same thing if you take the filter off, the air comes through too fast and lodges the intake open making a farting noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts