Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this for a little while and trying to figure out what I should do in case of fallout from a nuclear attack. I want to protect my family (my wife, 2 year-old son and 3 month-old daughter) but not sure how to go about it. Originally I was going to order 2 gas masks for my wife and I but then realized I didn't want my kids to be suffering. I did see the modified gas masks for kids but can't afford the $200-$300 price tag to keep them safe from radiation. I'm guessing the iodine pills would be ineffective as they wouldn't counteract the different types of radiation from a nuclear blast. Building a bunker isn't an option due to the expense and time constraints. Any suggestions anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
trying to figure out what I should do in case of fallout from a nuclear attack. I want to protect my family (my wife, 2 year-old son and 3 month-old daughter) but not sure how to go about it. Originally I was going to order 2 gas masks for my wife and I but then realized I didn't want my kids to be suffering. I did see the modified gas masks for kids but can't afford the $200-$300 price tag to keep them safe from radiation.
gas mask are not going to help in a nuclear event. Chemical or bio, sometimes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
gas mask are not going to help in a nuclear event. Chemical or bio, sometimes.
They won't help in the first few seconds, yes... but if you survive the initial blast, they are effective in preventing inhalation of radioactive dust. Most biological fallout damage is superficial alpha radiation, meaning it just damages the tissue to a certain depth (an inch or two in). You don't want that crap in your chest.

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
The infant masks are essentially powered fresh air hoods that are used in many trades (ie) painting and sand blasting. You can make one yourself, but will still spend around $150 for appropriate filters, blower, hose and hood or bag. Maybe think of buying used replace the filters and modify it for infant use.

If you are very serious about making one or two, let me know and I will help you resource.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
For children and individuals that are unable to get a good seal there are multiple manufactures that produce bubble hood masks. These are not as good as fitted masks but they still provide a level of protection.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would have to agree with Byron. Get yourself a nice basis to work off of, like a sandblaster, rip it apart and completely rebuild it, rig up a way to put a standard NATO filter on the incoming air, throw in a heat lamp and BAM! You've got yourself an NBC Incubator.

I would also say have one designated room in the house to turn into a "Clean Room" at a moment's notice. All you'd really need is a good filter system which you can build yourself, some heavy duty (At least 8 Mil thickness) plastic, and about 10 rolls of duct tape. If you look around on the net I'm sure you can find some pictures and instructions for both.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If money is a concern, which for most of us it is, it only makes sense to spend the money wisely. And part of being wise with your money - speaking of preparedness - is using it to prepare for the most likely scenarios where individual action can have a large impact on survivability.

While I wouldn't write off the possibility of a nuclear attack entirely, it's pretty far down on the list of possibilities when it comes to crisis situations you may have to face. IMO - your resources should be spent on covering a greater number of more likely scenarios.
Also - understand that you simply can't be prepared for every eventuality.

Preparing food & water stores will be of immense benefit in ALL situations. Communications (excluding your cell phone) are also of importance in most all cases.
First aid / Medical knowledge & supplies - again - applicable to all scenarios.
Gas masks... severely limited in use, and that's even IF you have enough warning to matter (unlikely), use them properly (plan on training regularly), and keep up on maintenance and filters. If you can't afford them now, you may not be able to afford to maintain them. And a bad mask is sometimes worse than no mask at all.

If you want to prepare for the more likely NBC events, I think your best bet is to plan for shelter in place. With relatively inexpensive materials, you can seal off one or more rooms in your house and set up a filtration system that can protect your entire family from such threats, including industrial accidents. If you have money left over, maybe one mask is a good idea in case YOU have to go out (along with MOPP gear). But I wouldn't worry about that 'till the materials & plan for the in-house shelter was in place.

It won't guarantee your safety - never know where you'll be when things go bad - but you'll be betting on the side of probability, and using your money in a way that it has the highest chance of doing good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would also say have one designated room in the house to turn into a "Clean Room" at a moment's notice. All you'd really need is a good filter system which you can build yourself, some heavy duty (At least 8 Mil thickness) plastic, and about 10 rolls of duct tape. If you look around on the net I'm sure you can find some pictures and instructions for both.
I appreciate the info...all things considered that sounds like the most practical solution for me. I guess I need to figure out how to build the filter system...any links you can provide me with to get started? Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If money is a concern, which for most of us it is, it only makes sense to spend the money wisely. And part of being wise with your money - speaking of preparedness - is using it to prepare for the most likely scenarios where individual action can have a large impact on survivability.

While I wouldn't write off the possibility of a nuclear attack entirely, it's pretty far down on the list of possibilities when it comes to crisis situations you may have to face. IMO - your resources should be spent on covering a greater number of more likely scenarios.
Also - understand that you simply can't be prepared for every eventuality.

Preparing food & water stores will be of immense benefit in ALL situations. Communications (excluding your cell phone) are also of importance in most all cases.
First aid / Medical knowledge & supplies - again - applicable to all scenarios.
Gas masks... severely limited in use, and that's even IF you have enough warning to matter (unlikely), use them properly (plan on training regularly), and keep up on maintenance and filters. If you can't afford them now, you may not be able to afford to maintain them. And a bad mask is sometimes worse than no mask at all.

If you want to prepare for the more likely NBC events, I think your best bet is to plan for shelter in place. With relatively inexpensive materials, you can seal off one or more rooms in your house and set up a filtration system that can protect your entire family from such threats, including industrial accidents. If you have money left over, maybe one mask is a good idea in case YOU have to go out (along with MOPP gear). But I wouldn't worry about that 'till the materials & plan for the in-house shelter was in place.

It won't guarantee your safety - never know where you'll be when things go bad - but you'll be betting on the side of probability, and using your money in a way that it has the highest chance of doing good.
Great info thanks. I do have most of my preps ready (or at least I'd like to think so) in that I've accumulated at least a year's worth of food, I'm rounding up a few 55 gallon water barrels and have several 6-7 water containers in the garage filled up and ready to go. Just trying to cross the rest of the SHTF stuff off my list.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Nerve Gases

I don't believe there is a protective mask sold on commercial market that protects against the nerve gases i.e. VX or Sarin. If there were the average person would not be able to obtain it from its home storage area, put the mask on and clear it in time before the gas takes effect. It only takes one breath to start the system shut down and without a mask on and an antropine injection you would be finished in one to two minutes. America is not prepared for a CBR attack and never will be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts