Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard nothing but good things about the Garmin.
my question is about the National Geographic TOPO software. is it any good? it seems real confusing and from what i have read on nat geo FAQ the maps cant be downloaded onto the Garmin.. whats the point?
can some one give me the 411?
some insight. do i need to return the topo state maps and get something else?
am i missing something?
thanks

what mapping software do you all use with your 60csx?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Our Sar team uses Garmin Mapsource. I do however like terrain navigator pro, nat geo, and delorme. It all depends on what features you desire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Garmin's software is very proprietary and only functions with their own software. Obviously this is done so that they solely can sell you the various map packages

·
Registered
199 Posts
I use the Nat Geo software to create paper maps of the various backcountry trips I take. That way I can build up a map of the area trails with landmarks and notes. Almost all trails up here are not on any map so you build your own map. I save them on my computer and then can uploads the tracks later if I need them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok - self confessed Garmin Fanboy and all around GPS nerd here.

The really good thing about that particular Garmin is the ability to change maps just by changing cards. I for instance have around 3-4 cards with different maps on it.

One is the Garmin Aus Topo maps, this one includes streets as well.( can do turn by turn navigation )

the other is a purely topographical map,
another is a free set of maps called " shonky maps " no this was not made by me!

You can also load the Marine ( Bluechart ) maps by inserting another card, so they are pretty versatile units. Having an Altimiter is a good thing as well.

Of course it should be your 2nd form of navigational tool etc etc.. but yeah.. they are a really good unit!
2) -

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Ok - self confessed Garmin Fanboy and all around GPS nerd here.

The really good thing about that particular Garmin is the ability to change maps just by changing cards. I for instance have around 3-4 cards with different maps on it.

One is the Garmin Aus Topo maps, this one includes streets as well.( can do turn by turn navigation )

the other is a purely topographical map,
another is a free set of maps called " shonky maps " no this was not made by me!

You can also load the Marine ( Bluechart ) maps by inserting another card, so they are pretty versatile units. Having an Altimiter is a good thing as well.

Of course it should be your 2nd form of navigational tool etc etc.. but yeah.. they are a really good unit!
2) -
Can you give me the model so I can check out some prices......also map prices:thumb:

·
Stuck in the City...
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the 60 CSx uses AA batteries.
I bought rechargeable Duracell's.
I bought a usb Charger that plugs into my cig lighter.
I plugged the CSX into the charger and left plugged in for over 36 hours and only got 2 bars. after turning the unit on it dropped to one bar and died shortly after that...
does the USB not charge the unit? does Garmin make a cig lighter charger??
do i need to buy a regular battery charger and remove the batteries to charge?????>

·
Registered
402 Posts
n2h2o
I did a quick search regarding your usb/battery issues. What I found is this. The usb will NOT charge any batteries in the unit. The unit doesn't have a circuit that allows for that. Most likely a safety feature so that batteries don't leak/explode. I imagine that the unit could work with the lighter usb cable in but you will have to test yourself. The batteries will have to be recharged on their own. In my experience with my garmin legend cx unit the batteries tend to last a long time. Even longer if backlight functions are kept to a minimum.

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Ok so whats the cheapest price you have found for the CX and CSX

am i right in thinking the only difference between the two is theCSX has a compass and barometer?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts