Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently listed my home for sale by one of the more prestigious firms in my area figuring an easy sell in spite of the economy. Sixty days on the market and several showings but not one offer. I have planted raised beds, several varieties of dwarf fruit trees, several varieties of berries, a greenhouse, an herb garden and many other edible landscaping plants. But apparently this is a big negative with today's home buyers who are more interested in manicured lawns and professional landscaping. Many lookers have commented as such. How naive I was to think people would actually be interested in growing their own food. And all the hard work has already been done! Everyone apparently loved the house but the garden was just too much work for their soft bodies. This has shown me first hand the ignorance and complacency of the pleebs that I had only heard about from many members of this forum. A real eye opener. The agent of course wants me to drop the price until it sells. I will take it off the market instead and will be eating fresh when the price skyrockets or the stores run out. Screw 'em!

·
Back of beyond!
2,575 Posts
I recently listed my home for sale by one of the more prestigious firms in my area figuring an easy sell in spite of the economy. Sixty days on the market and several showings but not one offer. I have planted raised beds, several varieties of dwarf fruit trees, several varieties of berries, a greenhouse, an herb garden and many other edible landscaping plants. But apparently this is a big negative with today's home buyers who are more interested in manicured lawns and professional landscaping. Many lookers have commented as such. How naive I was to think people would actually be interested in growing their own food. And all the hard work has already been done! Everyone apparently loved the house but the garden was just too much work for their soft bodies. This has shown me first hand the ignorance and complacency of the pleebs that I had only heard about from many members of this forum. A real eye opener. The agent of course wants me to drop the price until it sells. I will take it off the market instead and will be eating fresh when the price skyrockets or the stores run out. Screw 'em!
Just goes to show you how shallow-minded, ignorant, and stupid people can be. As long as they can live for today, that's all they are concerned about.
I think you did the right thing...just keep it off of the market. I would value a setup like you have, and I'm very sure most of us here on this board feel the same.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
A wave of sadness washed over me as I read your post. Probably more real than the thrill running up Chris Matthews leg too. After all the work I have put in and will be putting in to this property, when it is time to retire and we move, we'll probably have to ripe it all out and install a lawn. Blech. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
2,978 Posts
I don't know what else your property has to offer but you may consider listing it with a more "survivalist friendly" agent. Or at least looking for any in your area and sending them info/pix.

Their clients would probably be happy to find a property with a garden and fruit trees already planted and producing.

·
Breathe Easy
214 Posts
The general public doesn't want to see gardens. They want to see a lawn where they don't have to worry about mowing around raised beds. They don't want fruit trees because they would just let the fruit rot on the ground. The general public wants a clean slate when they buy a home. BUT, if you find that niche buyer who really loves gardening, you'll get the price you want.

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
i looked at a house owned by some italian a year or so ago before i bought the house i have now - they had a great fruit and veg garden with dwarf tree's , a water tank for rain water and other cool things pity about the area it was in, not in a secure compound .. not an option in RSA

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I wouldnt drop your price just expand your advertising to garden magazines, garden centers etc. Theres plenty of people out there that would love your property you just need to get it seen.

In the Uk there are some who are crazy for grass lawns (yuk), and love to build on any substantial piece of land, which drives me potty. The grow your own movement is expanding here so soon these kind of properties will be a gold mine.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Well thats because....sadly.....most people are just stupid and lazy. I see it every day. They would rather pay someone to maintain acres of inedible grass than get their hands dirty working in your gardens.

But....they will spend time and $$$$ getting rid of every dandylion and sprig of purslane that pops up! (even though they both have more nutrition than anything they can buy in the store)

As I said....stupid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
it's got nothing to do with being lazy or stupid .some people don't like taking care of a garden or the looks of a raised bed garden. fruit trees don't bare beautiful fruit by them self's . they require a lot of care just like a garden. they want is a nice yard with minimal work. not everybody knows how to take care of plants and fruit trees. try another Realtor. good luck.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts