Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Never kiss an ugly bear
122 Posts
Nice garden! The tomato monsters look great, and your cabbages too.

Your chickens seem very content in their coop next to your garden. What type of chickens are they?

The dwarf fruit trees you have planted look good. How many years have they been growing so far?

Thanks for posting your garden video!

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
Nice garden and tips. :thumb: Every able-bodied person should be learning to grow one instead of going to the mall.

The trees are looking good. Most of my apples have some sort of nastiness. The leaves are browning and curling, just like last year. Yours look much healthier. How long did it take you to get fruit on the peach tree?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow...great trees.
My Peppers got hammerd with catepillars, few other nasties. But for my first garden not bad. So true must practice garden skills.
When did you start your cabbages and pumpkins?
I just started mine here in el paso.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice garden! The tomato monsters look great, and your cabbages too.

Your chickens seem very content in their coop next to your garden. What type of chickens are they?

The dwarf fruit trees you have planted look good. How many years have they been growing so far?

Thanks for posting your garden video!
Hey thanks, it takes practice, this is my forth year at it, and imo it still is crap haha. Every year I try to learn and do better. I have a video posted on this forum about my chickens, it is called "chicken update."

HAHa I have another video about my trees. I have staggered out the planting as money becomes availiable. The first and biggest were planted in 2007, then each spring after that. This year I planted another peach and a apricot. They are a mixture of local nurseries and lowes, home depot. Thanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice garden and tips. :thumb: Every able-bodied person should be learning to grow one instead of going to the mall.

The trees are looking good. Most of my apples have some sort of nastiness. The leaves are browning and curling, just like last year. Yours look much healthier. How long did it take you to get fruit on the peach tree?
Yeah I get a kick out of some people stocking those survival seed banks, but have yet to practice gardening.

My apple and pear trees will get that too. Sometimes it is fire blight and other times it is some kind of fungus. You can take the leaf to a nursery and they acan tell you what to do about it. Pears and apples get the same diseass for the most part. Also if you ae touching the diseased part make sure to wash your hands before you spread it to your other apples trees.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...great trees.
My Peppers got hammerd with catepillars, few other nasties. But for my first garden not bad. So true must practice garden skills.
When did you start your cabbages and pumpkins?
I just started mine here in el paso.
Well where I live the earliest you can plant is mid-may because of the frost hazzard. The cabbage is a spring crop so for you down there in the hellish heat it needs to be planted early, it will not like the heat. I am guessing late feb, maybe ask another Texan to be sure. Where I have trouble is frost and cold, you have to take the same precautions for the heat. I am not expert but from what I have seen in my pumpkin, they are water hogs. A few days without water and they droop. But to answer your question, they both were planted in mid-may. Wish I had some advide about your peppers. Sucks to see all the hard work destroyed my bugs.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
Great looking garden for aug. All I have left is peas and okra. Peas will be gone in 3 weeks. Okra will grow until frost, some years late Nov. Picked the last of the mucadines this week. It's too hot for tomatoes, even had trouble with the solar set type.

Will plow every thing under and add the compost piles by Sept. 15. Get ready to plant Strawberrys and greens in Nov., Potatoes in Dec, Corn in Feb and everthing else in March except okra which is a late april plant.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Great looking garden and trees! I hope my trees start looking a bit better. I don't think they like the sandy soil of southern jersey. Maybe I need to start dumping compost around them.:confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great looking garden and trees! I hope my trees start looking a bit better. I don't think they like the sandy soil of southern jersey. Maybe I need to start dumping compost around them.:confused:
Thats what i had to do here. Accidently figure that out when tree died. Pick an area close it off. Dumped all the leftover green stuff then the dirt leftover on top. And whatever compost.
Trying to compost more but the dogs keep eating it lol.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great looking garden for aug. All I have left is peas and okra. Peas will be gone in 3 weeks. Okra will grow until frost, some years late Nov. Picked the last of the mucadines this week. It's too hot for tomatoes, even had trouble with the solar set type.

Will plow every thing under and add the compost piles by Sept. 15. Get ready to plant Strawberrys and greens in Nov., Potatoes in Dec, Corn in Feb and everthing else in March except okra which is a late april plant.
Man am I jealous, you people with the good weather. Gardening all year, just a dream to us yanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats what i had to do here. Accidently figure that out when tree died. Pick an area close it off. Dumped all the leftover green stuff then the dirt leftover on top. And whatever compost.
Trying to compost more but the dogs keep eating it lol.
Compost is good as long as you do not cover the root ball

1 - 12 of 12 Posts