Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed fencing a garden area to keep out the dang rabbits. They ate everything I planted this summer. I'll try to post a pic. It's a 14 by 20 garden, about half what I usually plant, but i'm trying to plant less and grow more by taking better care of the smaller area.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Do you have any cats or dogs? If you do, it sounds like you are feeding them too much or they would be taking care of them rabbits.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If your rural have you considered taking a day each weekend and hunting across your garden. Might try a .22 or a air rifle (if your stuck in the city).
As Kev says cut back the pouch to smaller servings we had a Rotti when we lived in the country we switched food an him. He was getting expensive to feed and I was worried about how good the food was. I didn't need to he ate less of what I was giving and I started to notice a lot of rabbit corpses near the house. Course watch your own livestock or your neighbours they may make it to the dogs dinner table.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Do you have any cats or dogs? If you do, it sounds like you are feeding them too much or they would be taking care of them rabbits.
In the hunt Jack Russells can sometimes trample your plants, but it sounds like you need something like Chalky (owned by Rick Stein, a famous British seafood chef).

If it's Thursday it must be Leeds :D:.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
It is the **** sapien thieves that are going to be a problem too.
I have two dogs that keep the four legged critters away. Mostly hares, possums, bandicoots, rats, roos and wallabies.
Birds are a problem too with grain crops, most fruit and some veges.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't at that point but I do now. And you are correct the rabbit problem vanished. Sadly so did my fox squirrels. The rat problem is under control as well. I adopted a cat from the shelter that was getting ready to be put down. He had been there a year. He kills at least one big rat a day. Every year around this time when it cools off all the field mice try to come in the house. So far not a one. That cat is really earning his keep. Heres a few shots of the garden.

Last years garden early in the season. It's abount 20 by 40 feet. Mostly peppers and tomatoes. You can see my corn field behind it. About the same size.

I have half that area fenced now. It's about 14 by 20 feet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts