Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got some trucks that ive seen that i might be able to get cheaply 3 ton + cargo's movers. and old garbage trucks with compacter. fitted. they are desigend for the carrying of medical. and biohazzard waste.

with a bit of work i could made a decent bugout vehical. or modify the containers for storage .a nd some sort of temp shelter. what do people think?

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
ive got some trucks that ive seen that i might be able to get cheaply 3 ton + cargo's movers. and old garbage trucks with compacter. fitted. they are desigend for the carrying of medical. and biohazzard waste.

with a bit of work i could made a decent bugout vehical. or modify the containers for storage .a nd some sort of temp shelter. what do people think?
id have a few concerns while it is a great idea. my concerns would be how would you go about cleaning out a biohazard truck obviously some nasty stuff was in there. the second would be ventilation. third what about an emergency exit? and lastly power although im sure it could be easily remedied.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The good thing about those trucks would be they could just power on through minor rock bloackages. There like monster trucks. I wouldnt want to mess with a Biohazard truck but a garbage truck shouldnt be too bad once you get rid of the smell haha!

Modded out sorta like the "Battle Bus" off Dawn of the Dead it would be a hell of a bug out vehicle in you were swarmed. Although I doubt it would be a fast going BOV.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for commoguy.

the trucks are alrady cleaned. just a bit dusty at the moment. the they have imbuild ventalation becasue of smells ect. and to improve it would be easy.

power would realy be a concern casue i would moify it all to run off manual labour for doors ect

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
after that hoax running around the Internet about the woman living and blogging in a garbage truck I thought about it for a while.

the biggest thing that puts me off is the weight. even if you take off the compactor the metal box looks really heavy. it would be good armor against zombies but .223 rounds would just go right through it. you would need a lot of fuel to run it.

if you put in a door or window the camouflage aspect would be ruined.

IMHO, you have to have at least crawl through access from the box to the cab or you could easily be trapped in it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the truckitself would only be used for trasport. it would be moded for defence and carrying.

as for the bunker/ storage. i would remove the chamber/caontainer. and dispose of the truck

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
id look around for a used armored car. that'd be perfect

·
Registered
106 Posts
id look around for a used armored car. that'd be perfect
there are some AMAZING deals on used armored cars. My cadillac was a backup vehicle for some undisclosed government agency..i purchased it at auction for substantially less than Kelly Blue Book without taking into consideration the level III armor package...

just recently at auction there was armored "Sprinters" I was tempted beyond belief to purchase one but I just can't justify it...my car blends in, it is not flashy by any means and you would NEVER know by looking at it that it is what it is...unless you opened or closed one of the doors lol or had to pay for the gas.

but i could see an amazing vehicle made out of one of the 'sprinters' i would prefer an old 'loomis' armored vehicle but strangely i have never seen one of them up for sale.

i also have an old unimog that was a radio truck originally and it has been turned into my 'moho' and again i absolutely love that vehicle. i can lock myself in the back of that thing and feel as snug as a bug in a rug...it even has escape hatches, filtered ventilation, and lets not forget you have got to have gun ports lol

·
Here's a man who stood up
637 Posts
there are some AMAZING deals on used armored cars. My cadillac was a backup vehicle for some undisclosed government agency..i purchased it at auction for substantially less than Kelly Blue Book without taking into consideration the level III armor package...

just recently at auction there was armored "Sprinters" I was tempted beyond belief to purchase one but I just can't justify it...my car blends in, it is not flashy by any means and you would NEVER know by looking at it that it is what it is...unless you opened or closed one of the doors lol or had to pay for the gas.

but i could see an amazing vehicle made out of one of the 'sprinters' i would prefer an old 'loomis' armored vehicle but strangely i have never seen one of them up for sale.

i also have an old unimog that was a radio truck originally and it has been turned into my 'moho' and again i absolutely love that vehicle. i can lock myself in the back of that thing and feel as snug as a bug in a rug...it even has escape hatches, filtered ventilation, and lets not forget you have got to have gun ports lol

Where are these great deals? Ihave searched the web and the cheapest I have found is a 2000 BMW with level 1/light armor for $30,000.00 No miles listed.

I'd be interested in that unimog if you want to sell it.:)

·
22,122 Posts

could you post any links to places you have found those? i dont think ive ever seen a sprinter- but id love an up armored caddy

·
Registered
106 Posts
actually as much as it pains me to say this i am "considering" selling the unimog...i simply do not use it anymore...

ok regarding where to find the 'good' deals...i need to try not to turn this post into a book...first of all in my opinion there is a trade off for finding the good deals...you have to invest ALOT of time looking at the not so good deals...i travel constantly for work and one of my 'hobbies' is attending auctions. EVERY state has 'surplus property' for sale at one point or another one of the resources i use to find the times, locations, etc of these is www.usa.gov there is a section there for every state and MOST of the states have a location where surplus property is stored ,can be viewed, and at auction time bid on.

there are many sources that try to sell you information to get on some magical notification list for purchasing auction goods from the government and government seizures (great deals can be found at these as well) but ALL of this information is available to you for free if you do some basic searching. ( i was going to copy and paste some links in here but the computer that i am using at the hotel i am at tonight will not allow me to copy and paste...so if you have any questions as to search words to use let me know or when i get back to my home office i will add some links)

now in the last couple years many states have started selling on ebay and you can also find surplus property on there...i have not found as many 'good deals' via those auctions..just my own experience...and i know what bmw you are talking about "the one in california" that is on ebay currently.

the trick to these auctions is to set your price that you are willing to bid and be done with it..if it is a live auction it is VERY easy to get caught up in the shish boom bah rah rah rah of the moment...

now if you are looking for nice vehicles (luxury cars etc) via government auctions i have had the best luck going to auctions that are for nondiscript "federal auctions" could be FBI, CIA, who knows..rumor is that my cadillac was a backup vehicle for some head honcho at some 'goverment' agency....there were 3 identical make and model of the vehicle i purchased all less than 4yrs old with less than 15K miles on them and all of them sold for less than $7K, this auction was in Virginia so by using my novice detective skills it is pretty easy to form an opinion of what agency owned these vehicles especially given the addition of the armor packages, ventilation etc.

now from personal experience i find the best deals at auctions that are not in major metropolitan areas..it would take a pretty special auction for me to even attend if it was in los angeles...chances are there will just be many more buyers therefore higher prices, even if it is a closed bid auction..unless i am hunting for something that just isnt sought after by many people...common sense seems to apply but if i've learned anything in life...common sense is not so common :)

on a separate note. i have owned 4 unimogs. there are some great deals to be had and some not so great deals. you have to look at alot of them. i used to have a contact that would travel abroad and purchase them and then ship them to the US where he did amazing conversions on them, turning them into amazing off road camping rigs, sadly he was killed in a motorcycle accident. but unimogs can still be aquired VERY affordably if you are capable of working on them yourself and you avoid the hot spots where they are popular.

i am sure i overlooked a ton of questions so let me know and i will gladly share any info.

·
22,122 Posts
they must eat gas like theres no tomorrow. ill have to check that out though, Thanks

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Converted garbage truck

Here you go phoenixlink, I knew I'd seen a garbage truck conversion here in Oz. Check this out, it's frikkin awesome mate. http://www.supertramp.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=452

Garbage_Truck-1.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts