Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best deal you've found at a garage sale?

I once found a men's Black Hills Gold nugget ring worth $400 in a bowl of junk jewelry marked .10 cents each
Brand new pair of Tony Lama boots still in the box marked $1
Selmer tenor saxophone for $20- sold it on ebay for over $1,700!:eek:

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
wow thats some good deals i got an enige hoist for a lady that didn't know what it was for a buck. she also sold me her husbands complete fishing gear collection for 20 bucks. she had found out her man had been cheating on her so all his stuff was on sale

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
now whats really funny camodog is that the garage sale was in so cal. you didn't happen to live in the inland empire say riverside area if so thats a nice fish finder you had

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I found a photo album on ebay for 9 dollars that I re sold on ebay for 2300 dollars.

I have some very old photographs that I paid anywhere from 2 to 200 dollars for that are worth around 750 each. I have at last count, 34 of them.

I have a book, published in 1896 that is the only known copy left (I think they only printed maybe 10 or 15 copies) and Ive had a fellow offer to pay my house off for it. That is in excess of 20,000 for a single book.

Lets see, I horse traded for an M1 Garand, a single shot 22 rifle, and some other odds and ends 2 years ago. I sold off everything but the two rifles and ended up with around 75 dollars in both of them. The 22 is brand new and the Garand is a "Correct" grade, worth about 950, according to the CMP website.

I must say, a few years ago, I was really good at finding deals on ebay. I worked 8 hours a day and spent about 6 hours every night on ebay and I made a lot more money on ebay that I did working for a living. I would just look for items that I could sell and there were so many items listed incorrectly that it was just easy money. I would buy 50 to 200 dollars worth of stuff every week and resell it for 5 to 10 times that much, almost every time. Nowadays it isn't like that as people are more savvy about what they list but for a time there it was the source of about 70% of my income.

·
Think for yourself.
68 Posts
I once bought some guys entire cd collection for $20. His wife sold them to me while he was in the house sleeping. Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Jethro Tull and a bunch of others. :D:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I once bought some guys entire cd collection for $20. His wife sold them to me while he was in the house sleeping. Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Jethro Tull and a bunch of others. :D:
Ouch, I bet she experienced some serious spousal abuse after that one. That's almost a crime, hahaha

·
Registered
317 Posts
where do you guys find sales? just in the local papers/pennysaver? I can never go to garage sales because I will buy everything I am the biggest pack rat

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
the paper and craigslist. i hear yeah on the buy everything problem i have to rationalize with myself before buy'n something

·
Banned
653 Posts
Found 2000 rds of ss199 5.56 for $75 not too long ago, woman didn't know what she had. Someone else bought the Daewoo rifle for $200 before I got to it.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
Coolest thing I ever found was a blackpowder cannon. I asked how much and the gal just looked at me and said I couldn't afford it. Ticked me off. She sold it to someone I know for $4000. It wasn't out of my reach at the time, but definately a cool rummage sale find.

·
Learning more each day
253 Posts
I picked up a 12 piece set of cast iron cookware for $20.00 the lady said it was hard to clean. I cured it in my oven and use it all the time I figure I bought the 1st piece and she gave me the other 11 pieces free. I like garage sales, but love estate sales. Most estate sales the family has no idea of values of items they are selling just want to get rid of it.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i once bought a sheet of one dollar bills for 50 cents cause the preson who had it thought it was a piece of wall paper! WTF i thought as i bought them

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's sometimes hard to keep a serious look on my face at times. Now that the weather is cooling off in the mornings....it's garage sale heaven here. My husband & I take off at 7am and just start following signs. Although we are a little bit picky, we do a drive-by if we see a lot of baby clothes & toys. But occasionally- we score! Folks don't know what they have! And it's fun to haggle.

Ahhhh, coffee always tastes better on those mornings.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts