Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I hope I am posting this in the correct forum section as I am looking for advice regarding a SHTF scenario. First some background.

I am a lead game designer in a team of game developers in Europe that are working on a game that will feature a very strong survivalist element, we aim to make it as realistic as possible within the game world so I seek advice from you. The game will be a 3d game with an isometric style overhead view. The core of the game is asymmetric squad based tactical combat.

The Background story

The background narrative goes like this. In the near future (20 years from now or so) the world has been thrown into chaos and and disorder following the total collapse of the global economic system, peak oil and the dwindling resources have caused a more hostile environment with widening gaps between the lower and upper classes. On top of this, a close and contested election in the USA causes nationwide riots and disorder, worse comes to worse and civil war breaks out in the US. Some states separate from the union and form their own alliances to protect themselves and their own interests. Both sides in the civil war believe they are fighting the just cause and the war goes on for a while. But since so much of the world economy is dependent on USA, there is a common interest in the world community to stabilize the nation. and since the UN cannot enter a nation unless invited by its government it gets an invitation by the US govt (which by the way is not recognized by some of the states that have declared independence). Much like as with Afghanistan the international community invades to bring peace and stability to a war torn nation, but encounter resistance from the locals.

The Scenario
Anticipating the UN invasion you and a group of friends have gone into the woods and set up camp so that you are not in the city when the UN rolls in. You live a little in that camp, and soon realize that the occupation is there to stay, you decide to fight back against the occupation in a guerrilla style resistance.

Regarding development
We are a group of students and we are doing this for a student project, we are not an established studio and we do not have a gigantic team. So we are aiming to release a prototype, a bare bones version of the game around june 2011. A lot of the features that will be in the final version of the game will have to be cut for the prototype.

What do I need advice with at this point?

Right now I am deciding what is going to be in the base camp, how it would look, how it would be set up. I am looking specifically for the bare basics of things that would be found in the camp. For example, hatchet, tent, fire pit, kettle, firewood, etc etc. Pointers are welcome and a sketch or photo reference would be great!

I will update this thread with more requests of advice as soon as it is needed.
Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
694 Posts
That hits a little too close to home. I would rather kill zombiesor aliens. I will say that I love Left 4 Dead 2 and find the characters to be endearing as well as funny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@lildrestl3 Believe me, I have and am doing a lot of reading on the subject, but I would like to hear a more realistic approach rather than the usual by-the-book stuff.

The fun stuff will come when designing the scenarios where the player will harass supply lines, attack checkpoints and so forth. But right now the camp needs to be decided so we can start modelling, texturing and implementing it in the game engine.

Later on down the road we will be needing voice actors and sample sounds of gunfire, but there is a long way before we can start looking at that. So as for now: How would a camp supporting 6 people look like in such a scenario. It would be great if someone could give some pointers, and if someone is extra-artistic why not a sketch or photo for reference. I welcome all help

·
I'm a dork
427 Posts
How about...

these people that bugged out into the woods are gonna bring with them whatever they have. If you're looking for realism, having everything you need and having the perfect setup won't cut it. In a realistic situation they're gonna be short on things. Maybe they didn't think of some stuff, maybe they just didn't have it. Maybe they'll have to go out on patrols and get stuff that they didn't realize they needed until they were already there. Definitely include patrols for goods in the game, that would be fun. Include defense against looters. Maybe even have the option to be a looter, don't forget the realism and the difficultness of being a looter and the likeliness of getting killed.

I think it would be a great game. Online play like world of warcraft where the world falls apart and life goes on. Everybody has a character that they're building up and you can befriend people. You can get killed by trusting the wrong people and you establish yourself. Find weapons on dead bodies, buy and trade for weapons, ammo, food and supplies.

I'm not too fond of the idea of fighting against the occupation and sending the game into the over done combat game, unless that's what the player chooses to do. But more like a survival based sims game with combat involved when necessary. Where you don't find ammo around every corner so you better conserve it. Where people actually put in time and effort to build their survival characters and groups of people they meet online or friends that are playing from their own house.

The game should start with a collapse of currency. Martial law is declared and you're in your house or apartment. Grab what you can and start the game. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
338 Posts
am I the only one that though "Wolverines!"? Haha if you havnt seen it go watch red dawn cause you just described that movie in your description. I would also like to point out some wonderful fiction written by Jerry D Young on our board, check out www.jerrydyoung.com all his post-disaster/post-collapse books are available for free download, I am super positive you can find some good stuf fin there and FYI he is highly regarded in the prepardness world, you could do alot worse than to at the very least aknowlege him in the credits of your game if you find his hard work helpful. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super33, thanks for your great post and suggestions.

If you're looking for realism, having everything you need and having the perfect setup won't cut it. In a realistic situation they're gonna be short on things. Maybe they didn't think of some stuff, maybe they just didn't have it. Maybe they'll have to go out on patrols and get stuff that they didn't realize they needed until they were already there. Definitely include patrols for goods in the game, that would be fun. Include defense against looters. Maybe even have the option to be a looter, don't forget the realism and the difficultness of being a looter and the likeliness of getting killed.
You hit the nail on its head there, that is the type of scenario we are striving to create. The base camp will start out bare bones and even lacking, and then as the game progresses and you go on patrols and raids for more equipment for your camp - the better it will get. The camp will be kind of a progress gauge, and it will be rewarding for the player to see how the camp went from crap to awesome over the time of the game. The whole gameplay mechanic with the camp and the supplies needed can also be educational for the player, people who know nothing of survival might learn a thing or two after being presented with the (at least) logistical and resource aspect of it.

As for making it multiplayer like wow or similar - that is unfortunately out of the question at this point, it would require ten times the team we have now and take a lot longer. We aim to create a single player experience.

I'm not too fond of the idea of fighting against the occupation and sending the game into the over done combat game, unless that's what the player chooses to do. But more like a survival based sims game with combat involved when necessary.
The combat aspect of the game will be as realistic as fun allows, we are not talking rambo style guns blazing, but usual resistance stuff. Raids on checkpoints, attacks on patrols, sabotage and so forth. The core of the game is resistance, but from a survival-base.

As a general note, the reason we chose the UN to be the antagonists is because we wanted to offer the player a large array of weapons to capture, loot or find. If there would be one army, there would not be such a variety of weapons, uniforms, calibers and vehicles due to equipment standardization. But with the UN scenario it allows us to use a lot of different weapons, calibers and so forth

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I think you just mentioned a big topic on here that's going to cause flak: Raiding.

Survivalism isn't raiding, and neither is prepping. If you're looking at going all out and "raiding" others within the game, you're basically teaching people to just take what's not theirs time and again. That gets people killed on both sides.

I'm a gamer, but I wouldn't buy this game, nor will I assist in creating it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think you just mentioned a big topic on here that's going to cause flak: Raiding.

Survivalism isn't raiding, and neither is prepping. If you're looking at going all out and "raiding" others within the game, you're basically teaching people to just take what's not theirs time and again. That gets people killed on both sides.

I am also a gamer and as far as I know he is asking for our help (think guidance) to create a realistic scenerio, that means it is up to us to point out where he is spot on and where he is not so he can create said video game. Being crabby and standoffish is not the way to get through to someone, yet I do see your point at the same time. I am not going to decide to purchace this game until it is made. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
am I the only one that though "Wolverines!"? Haha if you havnt seen it go watch red dawn cause you just described that movie in your description. I would also like to point out some wonderful fiction written by Jerry D Young on our board, check out www.jerrydyoung.com all his post-disaster/post-collapse books are available for free download, I am super positive you can find some good stuf fin there and FYI he is highly regarded in the prepardness world, you could do alot worse than to at the very least aknowlege him in the credits of your game if you find his hard work helpful. :thumb:

Thank you very much, I had never heard of Jerry D Young. I highly appreciate it. Also yes, I have watched Red Dawn, it will be kind of a similar scenario, except the fact that the invaders have more diverse weapons, and the nation is in turmoil prior to the invasion.

The raids would take place on enemy supply depots and supply lines. Not on neighbours, hospitals and kindergartens. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I am also a gamer and as far as I know he is asking for our help (think guidance) to create a realistic scenerio, that means it is up to us to point out where he is spot on and where he is not so he can create said video game. Being crabby and standoffish is not the way to get through to someone, yet I do see your point at the same time. I am not going to decide to purchace this game until it is made. :cool:
Perhaps my point should have been "if done properly, there should not be a need to 'go kill thy neighbor' - and if it comes to that, there are other ways to obtain what you may need to survive."

I'll be crabby if I want ;-)

·
I'm a dork
427 Posts

What kind of games do you play? I like to play games too, from racing to combat games. We're all adults here right?

I play a racing game and a friend calls, I stop playing and hop in my car, does this mean I'm gonna race or speed to his house? Nope.

I play a combat game. I also own guns. Will I go out and start shooting up the place? Nope.

People don't learn how to live their lives from video games. The way you stated your post is the exact way the government is stripping our rights away and blaming us for it. The "if you have guns you'll shoot people" mentality. So make laws to not let them exist. If people really need that big brother to point these things out then the government would be right and we'd be wrong. If a person is a looted deep down inside then that's the kind of person they are and no outside influence will change that fact. If you're a good person then a video game won't change that.

·
Google Duckweed!!!
1,258 Posts
Farming....

It's not glamorous or exciting, but maybe you should have bunches of mini games revolving around food production.

Heck maybe the real way to win is to actually produce what you need instead of high risk stealing.

Scavenging that which is abandoned to grow said food supplies should be included.

I concur about starting the game with an economic collapse. Would be unique compared to most games also.

Sierra Dave

·
In Omnia Paratus
561 Posts
I think any camp scene would suffice, although make it a little more subdued, pine branches over the tents, and similar improvised camoflague.

I think a cool idea for your game would be the ability to establish hidden caches for your gear/ammo/food. And be allowed to pick where they are, pick a bad spot and come back to find it gone.. ect.

Because i assume in the effort of realism you will be able to carry a finite amount of weight, so this would allow players to store ammo in a cache on the way to occupied territory, and cache food closer toward camp ect... just an idea.

oh, and be able to mark them on your map.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts