Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried doing a search on the topic but all I pull up is hundreds of "COD: Black Ops" gamer threads......:rolleyes:

I've read the Galil chambered in 5.56 but I think it also is chambered for 7.62x39?

Anyone have one of these puppies and can compare with an AK47? Seems more bulkier and more recoil than from an AK....

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
basically

I'm very interested in the Galil as well▬especially the folding-stock SAR Model. The only thing that stopped me from buying one was the fact that AR mags are incompatible..

Lots of useful information about Galils and Valmets can be found here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_4/92_Galil_andamp__Valmet_Discussions.html

..and tons of cool pics here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_92/57447_.html

The GALIL rifle is a multi-purpose personal weapon, designed to serve as a basic weapon for the infantry. The rifle is lightweight, air-cooled, gas operated, magazine fed, shoulder or hip fired weapon. The GALIL is a very robust weapon with high reliability in difficult and extreme conditions and is in use of the IDF since its development - over 30 years

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
HH54r playing the role of MountainReculse for this post.

Galil's suck, I would not wipe my hind quarters with one.

MR

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Galil is far superior to any AK, its a milled reciever, has better sights and a longer sight radius, better flash hider, upturned charging handle, thumb saftey, better accuracy, side dual or single mount sling attachments, a FAL style side folding stock and other design tweaks.

You can get them in 5.56 and 7.62 nato, they are not available in 7.62X39 that I have seen although someone has likley produced one. The IMI and Vectors are generally very fine weapons, pristine galils will run you as much if not more than a top shelf AR. They are a bit heavy, but that happens when you have that much steel in a rifle.

There are a few Golani's from Century that are made from IMI parts kits that are ok, but many are poorly assembled so be careful.

I love the Galil, if they werent so damm expensive I would own at least 6.......

·
I hate everyone equally !
1,291 Posts
You have a familytree if you goes from ak47 and forward

ak47
RK62 --> Galil ---> Southafrican R4 ( siblings and improved siblings )
RK76F/RK76W
RK95

RK95 is the last and the best among all of those that comes in the RK62 familytree

The history with RK62 starts with a AK47 that ended up in Finland under verry suspicius circumstances and they orginated in poland

( The first versions of RK62 was not licensed copies they where reversenginered and adapted after Finnish productiontechnology )

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have heard there are some problems with the Century builds, nothing new you say. I have good luck with my Yugo AK 47 build. I am an AK guy thought about the Galil especially the micro.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have heard there are some problems with the Century builds, nothing new you say. I have good luck with my Yugo AK 47 Century build. I am an AK guy thought about the Galil especially the micro. All my AKs are in 7.62 I think the cartridge is part of the reliability of the AK.

·
What Smell?
69 Posts
I have heard there are some problems with the Century builds, nothing new you say. I have good luck with my Yugo AK 47 Century build. I am an AK guy thought about the Galil especially the micro. All my AKs are in 7.62 I think the cartridge is part of the reliability of the AK.
I bet it built on a RPK design receiver if so Century had the receivers done in Ohio and the are magnificently done with proper steel and heat treat, FINE weapon!

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I bet it built on a RPK design receiver if so Century had the receivers done in Ohio and the are magnificently done with proper steel and heat treat, FINE weapon!
yeah, the Rapid fire recievers from Ohio had some problems. but most out there are good guns.Rapid Fire almost went under from those recievers and a few other problems, but I always had good service with them. I cant remember the other manufacture but there mod. no. started with GLN.
Its a lot heavier and ballance is totally different. I love it but I'd pick up the SAR or WSAR first if I had to lug it around all day.

The folding stock is solid, mags were 10 for $300 last year, maybe there cheaper now! there are a couple of M16 mag adapters out now for them. Valment went out of production in 2008 I think, at least their Army started buying Chinese weapons then. A friend of mine carried a R4 and loved it but she liked the issue fal better. there both really heavy.
I would get a AK if only getting one or the other, cheaper and more parts. the galil is $600 or more now, so why not just get a AR - lot more aptions!

·
What Smell?
69 Posts
yeah, the Rapid fire recievers from Ohio had some problems. but most out there are good guns.Rapid Fire almost went under from those recievers and a few other problems, but I always had good service with them. I cant remember the other manufacture but there mod. no. started with GLN.
Its a lot heavier and ballance is totally different. I love it but I'd pick up the SAR or WSAR first if I had to lug it around all day.

The folding stock is solid, mags were 10 for $300 last year, maybe there cheaper now! there are a couple of M16 mag adapters out now for them. Valment went out of production in 2008 I think, at least their Army started buying Chinese weapons then. A friend of mine carried a R4 and loved it but she liked the issue fal better. there both really heavy.
I would get a AK if only getting one or the other, cheaper and more parts. the galil is $600 or more now, so why not just get a AR - lot more aptions!
I just picked up a CMMG AR15 in .22LR for $475 and love it dirt cheap to shoot and I will pick up a 5.56 upper next month for the real stuff. I thought it would make a nice combo. I like everything on my vest stays the same, something to consider:thumb:

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I saw a Colt CAR15 in 22LR for $500 at the last gun show and every day I wish I grabbed it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have a couple of buddies that were lucky enough to get the Galil before the AWB. They were increadibly reliable fuctioning guns just like the AK's but they were pretty accurate as well to boot unlike the AK's generally speaking. The only came in 5.56 and 7.62 Nato. They have one of the most solid locking up folding stocks I have used simular in design to the ones FN used on the Paratrooper version of the FAL. If Century made them better I would buy one in a heart beat!!! Its a shame they werent made to accept the AR-15 Mags, that would make the .223 version extremely tempting to buy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Galil reciever is not a RPK design, it is shapped differently, as many have said it is closer to the Valmet.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The Galil is a highly refined Valmet, which is itself an AK type action with improvements. The main improvements with the Galil are the stock, selector, sights and gas system that enables better stability of the barrel.

R4 sights and gas tubes are common mods on the Galil. I have had 3 of them over the years. I shot my 386 converted to a ARM a lot and I always like the tough design but they are as heavy as a FAL and not obtainable in SBR formats for fair prices.

Despite the fact that Galil's are milled and forged recievers, they do have very thin/weak rails on the reciever and can fire out of battery and crack the rails if the bolt jumps. They found this out with the ARM series in use as a SAW back in the 70's.

Optics are not really compatible for them, even with the Ultimak and DSA syste. I used the R4 sights on mine and was generally pleased with them. The R4 has a thinner, match grade front sight that is much nicer to use.

I thought the 308 version would be the best battle rifle out there but they are not as tough as a FAL, mags are tremendously expensive and rare, both models have trigger bite issues when they get shot very much. Trigger bite is painful in 308 versions, particularly in the cold.

Israel largely uses the AR's and M4's we give them and Galils are expensive to manufacture and not really the modular system troops now like to have. The SAR's were very popular for years. Some consider them the best made 556 assault rifle. I have shot a Galil 386 SBR conversion with a factory SAR barrel in semi-auto and it was quite nice to shoot.

I wouldn't get anything but a IMI or Magnum Research and expect to pay $2000+ for a good one. Century builds garbage.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
I have a Century Galil and a few AKs. I don't have a Galil in 7.62, mines a 223 so this all pertains to that. The Ak in comparison is lighter, but the Galil doesn't have as much recoil due to the smaller cartridge and weight. If you use the factory mount for optics the up turned charging handle sucks. This can be rectified with a Yugo bolt carrier in place of the Galil carrier.

The other thing about Century Galils is the top cover is a bit loose. Its fixable but if your rear sight is off it wont shoot straight. I don't know if the IMI Galil has any issue with this, but I have never handled one. I do however have the tritum inserts in my sights.

The Galils main drawback is its weight, if your not bothered by that then its a bad ass gun. I still cant decide which is better, I love my AK, but with the new handle I like the Galil.

Ever thought of the VZ58 or are you hell bent on the two. I don't own one, Ive grounded myself from buying more guns, but Ive used one. It handles great, it is light, being a milled receiver its about as much weight as a AK with a stamped receiver. They do have more felt recoil due to the lighter weight, and the mags cost a bit more, but its a great weapon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts