Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Any advice on choosing one of the following two rifles that I found in a local gun store.

Colt AR15 - New - $1500
(It's New, Nice, well respected Great Model)

Galil 223 -
Pre-Ban, Bifold, Folding Stock, Nice Shape, comes with 11 mags, collector's item, cost a wee bit more then the Colt.

I like both of them but the Galil is really something. I have been researching the Galil all weekend deciding whether or not to buy it. I have a small window to buy the Galil. The AR15 as still being produced so I can get one down the road.

Any suggestions !

Thanks

·
Registered
34,629 Posts
How much more than the Colt?

They usually go for a good bit more.

If not much more, buy it, flip it, and go with something you can get parts, mags, and acessories for.

I think I'd almost take an SKS over an AR.

ETA: Unless they changed back (Not up on this) under Klintoon Colt redid some fo the specs so that the civilian rifles were not to spec...

"To keep out FA parts" Side bennie (For them and detriment to user...) you need colt parts as replacement/spairs.

·
Registered
556 Posts
1st question- why? neither is a good choice for an economical .223 - BUY MORE AMMO!!!
2nd question- why waste that much money on .223?

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
If it isn't an IMI Galil I wouldn't get it. Even then, I have yet to talk to an Israeli soldier who preferred the Galil over an M4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go with the Galil. It is going to be much more economical. I don't know why people down the .223. It is a good round,just because it doesn't stop someone on the first hit, that is jacked up on opium and crack? Talk to the soldiers and don't listen to the lib media. There have been several gun mags that have asked soldiers in the field and most all said it does the job. Try carrying as much .308 or 6.5 or any other ammo as you could .223. That is part of the reason the US uses it. Ive seen first hand Blackwater snipers get 800 yard kills with .223 rounds. And that's no S$%T. If you want to see it its on y-tube. Shot placement is key. A 22 will kill with proper shot placement. We should all be more worried about our skill in shooting. Cause most of us DON"T HAVE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS;) RIGHT!!!!! They have also come outwith some nice stuff for the Galil lately. Nice hand guards and optics mounts. The Colt is a nice AR but I still think its overpriced. Just cause the gov pays too much doesn't mean I will. On the other hand if you get the AR and are not happy with the .223 you can switch uppers in min and have a different caliber gun. Like say the 5.7 upper.:eek: By the way on the Israeli soldier comment talk to American troops that have handled the Galil they love it. My buddy was in Afghanistan and found one and he loved it.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Get the Galil, then get the AR mag adapter for it from Magnolia State Armory.....

Reactions: Brew

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
have you considered the Galini? or whatever CA is calling their Galil. Are you planning on optics?

The folding stock can be a plus or minus depending on your use of the rifle. The Isreali style of administrative cary is actually a climbers carry, so the folder works well for that. The admin carry for me is either American, African, or Patrol....so the stock isn't a factor for me.

I prefer the cheek weld of the M4 to the jaw weld of the galil, but that's my personal preference.

I have range time with the galil and worked the M4 with several optics, so I'm more versed on the M4. If you're like me, you carry the weapon FAR more than you'll fire it (hopefully), so that's an important factor.

ammo is the same cost
mags are about $50 for the Galil and about $12 for the M4.
parts are more abundant for the M4
parts, seemingly, don't need to be as abundant for the galil.....unless you REALLY need some.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I was considering the Galil due to it was owned by a Marine Sniper who is selling several his weapons (all very nice) due to severe health and money issues.

Since the Galil is older/original/pre ban and was in his personal collection, I figured it was a great choice.

Prices I have seen on other older Galil online were quite higher, and this seemed to be a pretty good deal overall.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
Just went to the J&G website. Here is what they had.Galil Style Golani Rifle, with bayonet lug, 223 caliber $629.95
Might want to check that out.
I have one and so far so good. I have not at this point put a lot of rounds through it, but it is working just fine so far. The original Galils are worth a lot of money now-a-days, but the ones for the American market had the slower twist rate for the 55gr bullets. The Golanis have a 1 in 9 twist for heaver bullets.

YMMV, but I am happy with mine thus far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts