Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(saw the AR hate thread so I got the idea for my thread title from that)

Just figured I would boast about my new Golani Galil ARM I bought. Not the best price in the world, $710, but considering it was that or an AR and then getting the parts to make it ARM, I came out a little ahead.

So how about it? It seems like a fairly under-the-radar gun in terms of being mentioned or seen a lot. I cant honestly say its a super fantastic in (m)any areas, its heavy for a 5.56, not as acurate as an AR, doesnt have the 'punch' the AK-47 does with the 7.62... But it is a Galil, and it looks bad-a..... And besides, how many guns do YOU know have a built in bottle opener?? Thats my kinda survival gun right there!

·
aka Dawgs
399 Posts
Galil Golanis are imported and assembled by Century Arms. The quality of their work is hit and miss at best.

If you get your hands on a real Israeli Galil you have an excellent weapon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have been more specific, I just ordered it. As soon as I get it, you can bet your life I will post pics.

I also intend on getting a wooden stock (since I hate that plastic fore end) from this place:

http://www.oldsouthgunwood.com/Old-South-Galil-Page.html

I know century arms are a little... iffy... here and there. I'm hoping mine wont turn out horrid. I can deal with a bad finish and fixing that myself, as long as the internals are good, and the barrel isnt crooked.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would kinda suck if it didnt, though I would pitch a B-- fit if they didnt. Anything minor (fitting issues, finish) I am not too worried about as I can fix that myself. The front handguard is the first thing to go anyways.

And then theres buying magazines. $45 for a 50 round, and $13 for a 35. I should have gotten an AR haha.

·
aka Dawgs
399 Posts
Canted barrels and gas tubes can be corrected as can most of the other poor workmanship items for a price. If they stick you with a crappy receiver that can be replaced as well but the costs are mounting and you could have had a custom weapon built from a kit by a competent armorer with quality parts.

You roll the dice, sometimes you win some times you lose. You may make out ok on that rifle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah a receiver.

The whole point of buying the gun completed was because a parts kit alone was more expensive, add a receiver to the mix and it would have cost close to $1000 if not more.

Plus, the Galil's have a threded barrel, and the final turn off in making the kit myself was the fact I had no way of knowing for sure if the barrel in the parts kit would time right with the receiver threads.

Now, when I get a lathe and a mill, I'll post a Galil build :D

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
I have had a Golani for about 2 years now and I have had few problems with mine, but for the most part it has been a good gun. On several of the gun forums there are threads that bash the gun and from talking to some of these folks, not with out reason.

When folks say they are hit or miss they are not kidding. When you get a good one, you've got a great rifle, but be aware of several possibilities.

Sometimes the feed ramps are out of place and cause feeding problems. On others, the front sites are canted to the left or right and the gun can't hit the sky for taking careful aim at the moon. The chambers are sometime out of spec and 5.56 ammo will stick and cause a failure to eject.

My Golani, for instance, will not feed reliably from factory steel magazines. Using (I kid you not) plastic Pro-Mag magazines it runs like water through a hose, but factory mags cause a FTF about every third round.

The worst part is Century's lack of customer support. I have read reports online that detail what a nightmare getting customer service out of them.

The bright spot is Jeff Miller, a gunsmith in Tennessee that specializes in the Galil and Galil builds. If you get a bad one he can get it up to snuff at a reasonable price. He can be reached at http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/index.htm. His work is universally praised on Galil boards.

Good luck with your new rifle, I hope you got a good one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So its been a long delay, but I finally have my golani and took it to the range the other day. Getting it was a pain, and they sent me the wrong gun, I got an AR version instead of the ARM I ordered. It was CAI's fault since the box part number did match what SHOULD have been in it. Regardless I called and they gave me a few bucks to keep it if I wanted, which I did.

Far as quality... Well, bolt lugs seem fine, receiver isnt crooked, though the front sight is canted to the left ever so slightly. Top cover is a **PAIN** to put on. However the gun works flawlessly so far, though I only fired about 100 rounds so far. Surprisingly with the sights canted, it still hits dead center far as windage is concerned. It shoots a little high, but again I have zeroed it at all or even tried.

Overall, I have to say I am happy. Came with two 35 round mags that look great, one was a little hard to load the first time but works fine now and feeds great. Also came with a blank mag for whatever reason (extras?). Feeds fine and ejects into the next solar system.

I will post more pictures later, once I get more...

FYI, plans for the gun is sending it to tenngalil (hillbilly firearms) who works on Galil's (I think someone mentioned him here already), I will also have him install an ARM gas block from blackthorne products. After that will be getting a bi pod, ARM handguards and a cary handle. I also emailed tooltech who will put in tritium night sights. And that will be it!

Oh and palmetto state armory has 35rd galil mags on sale.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
Mine will be going to Tenngalil as soon as I can afford it for a reliability package. I am glad to hear that it is working as well as it is.

Every thing I hear says that he is the guy to deal with when it comes to Galil rifles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually over spent on my Galil by around a hundred bucks (depending where you go). Buds has them for 594, though I got $30 off of my total plus an extra mag (and a blank magazine for whatever reason). I'm not complaining, the service was great and the people are very cool at sniper px, so I don't mind.

However, this not being the gun I want, it will still cost about $700 to get it where I want it. Even still, a Galil ARM made *exactly* how I want for $1400 in the caliber I want is still a decent enough deal considering everything is pretty much new.

Now... when I do get that done THEN I will have some really showy pictures :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Galil is a nice piece. One downside is really not as many parts and accessories as the more plentiful AK's and AR's.
However, stock up on a few spare parts and necessary accessories and you're all set

·
Registered
96 Posts
the galil i owned had the thumb safety forward to fire, the one golani i have handled had the thumb safety back to fire. that alone had me putting it down and walking out rather than buying it.

are all the golanis like that?

i was astonished at the comment about the galil being not as accurate as an ak.
is this true of golanis?

the galil i owned was a tack driver if you took your time with the trigger.

of course, that was 18 years ago, and it was a 308 one, not a 5.56 one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The real galil's (IMI made) have back-to-fire safety as well. It's a simpler linkage and provides more leverage for actuating it. That's actually one aspect of the golani thats true-to-life.

I dont know about other golani's, but while I have gone out yet and tried to shoot an actual grouping, but to me it seems more accurate than an AK at this point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmmm, i bought mine in the spring of 88. 550 bucks new in the box.

i distinctly remember the thumb safety was forward to fire.

i cant say anything about the full auto isreali issue versions.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=175783465

There are the parts to make it forward-to-fire, according to the seller it seems AA Galil was the only one to use it.

Surprisingly (maybe not) there isnt a lot of info on the thumb safety. People seem to like the push to fire, but its up in the air as for being issued. I am inclined to think not, since apparently it doesnt (or with great effort) let it go into FA place with all the parts installed.

Hell if I know. I just got use to push-to-safe...

·
Registered
96 Posts
ok, yes.

the galil i had was an action arms import to the best of my rememberance. seems i remember the original box saying action arms on it with a blue cog.

this explains why all these years i thought all galils had forward to fire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts